TripAdvisor
Epsom
Post
Inbox
Search

“Overpriced food and poor service ”
Review of The Derby Arms

The Derby Arms
Reserve a Table
Bookatable
Ranked #52 of 207 Restaurants in Epsom
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: This stylish pub, bar, and restaurant lies on the chalk down-land, in the valley of the Epsom Downs, opposite the world famous Epsom Downs Racecourse. Set amongst rolling countryside, The Derby Arms brings together elements of traditional decor with a distinctly stylish, modern twist, to create the ultimate social setting. Inside you’ll find an expansive menu that incorporates a superb selection of mains, classic pub food, starters, sharing platters and devilish desserts that are sure to impress even the toughest of food critics. From hearty mains through to tantalising starters and delicious desserts our menu is perfectly equipped to accommodate a variety of tastes and appetites. Private dining is also available at The Derby Arms. So, whether you’re hosting a celebratory dinner, a breakfast with clients, or a unique social gathering with cocktails and delicious nibbles, we can accommodate all of your needs. We’re also child friendly and there’s plenty of car parking available on
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My friend and I went to this pub for a drink and a meal before attending an event at the nearby Epsom Racecourse. The pub itself was nice and comfortable, but their food was not – and it was grossly overpriced.

£16 for a burger & chips for me and £21 for lamb & begs for my friend? With that kind of price, the food would be of high quality, but unfortunately, it wasn’t. My burger was very oily and I had to use three or four tissue napkins to dry myself throughout. The chips were alright, not the best I’ve ver had. My friend’s lamb wasn’t well cooked and the legs were oily. We both didn’t really enjoy our meal.

Not only that, but the service was incredibly slow. We had to wait for about 45 minutes or so till they served our food. Also, the pint of Amstel lager I drank wasn’t very good – I’ve had better elsewhere. They had Hop House 13, which is my favourite, but they had already ran out of it.

Nice pub, crap overpriced food. Take your custom elsewhere.

Date of visit: September 2019
GeneralManagerAA, Manager at The Derby Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thanks for taking your time to leave us a review nicksturley. I am really sorry to hear the food on your recent visit wasn't the high standard we aim to serve every time. We are launching our new menu on the 2nd October and will be carrying out re training sessions for both our Front of House and Kitchen teams and i shall be sure to use your comments in those training sessions.

If you wish to discuss this with me further please don't hesitate to get in contact.

Vicky Hollier

Write a reviewReviews (942)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I order lamb, it wasn’t well cooked as I asked, the vegetables was oily but the potatoes was yummy. It wasn’t worth £21! During my visit, my friend had a burger, but he didn’t enjoyed it either and felt £16 was over priced too? And people send back their burger because it wasn’t cooked properly. Some of the beers was empty.

Won’t order food from them again. The food quality did not match up their expection or the price!

Date of visit: September 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us E1313QQmichelled. I am really sorry to hear your food wasn't up to the high standard we aim to send out everytime and i have passed your comments onto our Head Chef so he can look into what happened on the day and ensure it doesnt happen in the future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Bar service is terrible. The bar staff and management don't know how to look after their real ales. Twice in a row I have been served cloudy ale. They should realise the beer has gone off. Tonight I rejected 1 pint of beer was given an alternative and then the next one was cloudy too. So I walked out and went to the King's Head in Epsom.

1  Thank Chris J

Hello Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I admit, we have been having some issues with our team and incorrectly tapping barrels early etc. However, we have now put different procedures in place to ensure this isnt going to be an ongoing issue.

Hopefully we shall see you a t The Derby Arms soon for a fresh clear pint.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stood at the bar for 15 minutes whilst being completely ignored,the staff just ignore you even though they are standing in front of you talking to themselves, when I asked to speak to the lady manager I was told she was unavailable although I found out she was in fact there ......the attitude from the staff towards their customers is disgusting..they all need to be sacked and replaced by well trained staff that put the customers first.....this was a fantastic pub once now ruined by the incompetent staff who couldn’t care less about the service they give.....

Hello 123johnward,

I am really sorry you had this experience on your latest visit. I can assure you this is not how i expect every guest that comes to The Derby Arms to be treated and I cannot apologize enough that this was the case for you. I really hope this doesn't deter you from coming back to us. I will be discussing your comments with my team and making sure they are fully aware of my expectation.

If you wish to discuss this further please get in contact with me.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We visited with some friends. The menu and quality of the food was very good. The service was less so and we had to go and asked to be served after being ignored for 20 minutes or so. There is good parking and it’s a place to stop just for a drink as well.

Date of visit: September 2019

Thanks for the review nickrashtead.

I'm sorry you found the service to be slow on the day, i have discussed this with my team and can assure you we are doing everything in our power to work on this.

We look forward to seeing you again soon hopefully.