“Excellent Food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 7 East Molesey B&B and Inns
Montaren et St Mediers
“Excellent Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

My mother and I had lunch here during an extremely hot Friday in July. The loctrion is perfect being right beside the Lion Gate into Hampton Court. It was a very busy lunchtime but service was friendly and without too long a time to wait. We sat outside at a shaded table. For lunch we chose from the 'sharing plates'. Hot baked camembert with crusty bread and onion chutney.

All too often baked camembert can be disappointing, being firmer than anticipated. I have to say that this was one of the best baked camembert that I have eaten other than those prepared at home. The crust opened to an unctious, gooey hot cheese flavoured with rosemary and garlic. It was soooooooo good.

There were several families with young children and they were all made very welcome.

There was one blight on the visit. Both the ladies and the gents toilet facilities were out of order. This meant that everyone had to use the single disabled toilet and this was totally inadequate for the number of people visiting this lunchtime. I was assured that this was a temporary malfunction and had only just occurred BUT...... the general impression was that this had been going on for some time.

I can make no comment on the facilities for staying overnight.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Sarah B, Owner at The Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
I am glad you enjoyed your lunch and visit at The Kings Arms. We all work very hard to ensure high standards of food and service so it is great to hear you had a lovely time. I know the day you were talking about with the toilets and I can assure you this was a one off. Unfortunately the pipes had totally blocked up so we had to call a company out who arrived later on that Friday evening and fixed it so all was back to normal the very same day. It is just typical that during the flower show and a very busy lunch this would happen!! I am glad though your experience was not put off by this!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

We had lunch here while visiting Hampton Court on the recommendation of one of the HC employees. Pub is very quaint and looks just like you would expect an English pub would look like. Comfy couches, tables and a big fireplace. Food was good and a nice selection of beers and ales. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Sarah B, Owner at The Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Hi,
I am glad you enjoyed your lunch with us the other day...
We all work really hard to look after our guests and its great to get such positive feedback; I will let the team know :-)
We look forward to seeing you again soon
Perth, WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed here late in June. It was booked spur of the moment and last minute as somewhere close to Hampton Court at the end of an eight week tour of the UK. It is a pub firstly and foremost, we knew that, but for the price we paid we had hoped is was better than it was. Our first allocated room dark and dingy and was immediately above the beer garden. The only way to get fresh air on a warm and humid day was to open the window but the cigarette smoke nearly chocked us. Fortunately there was one more room available which did not overlook the beer garden - we opened the window and only got light smoke. The room however was tiny, even by London standards. How this room related to a particular wife of Henry 8 was obscure - did one of Henry's wife's go in for cheap art deco? If you advertise a feature it should be delivered and delivered well. Breakfast was an exercise in austerity. This accommodation no doubt serves a function due to it's proximity to Hampton Court but the price charged is over the top. Yes, the Chesterfield lounge on the website got us in but it is the best part of the Kings Arms - apart from the staff who were great. Parking is a lottery. Caveat Emptor.

Room Tip: Shop around.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarah B, Owner at The Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Hi,
I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us at The Kings Arms.

The Kings Arms is a 300 year old building so all of the rooms are different shapes, sizes and the majority face onto Hampton Court Road and our beer garden, one of the charms of the building. I appreciate when it is hot, one opens the window which does front on to the beer garden. We do close the beer garden from 11pm weekdays and midnight at weekends to prevent disturbance through the night and we have provided fans in the rooms in case people want to keep the windows closed but I can't think of anything else we can do to help. That said we haven't had any other similar complaints.

I am surprised to hear about your comments regarding breakfast as we generally get great feedback about our heartily, freshly cooked to order breakfasts. I would be grateful if you would contact me directly at info@absolutepubs.com with any specific comments/criticism so we can look into this further.

I look forward to hearing from you shortly.
Uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed here to visit Hampton Court, the location was good but this hotel is not the hotel we looked at on their website.
The pictures on the website made this hotel look luxurious and opulent. It is a wonderful old building but the inside furnishings were shabby and tired.

We paid £210 to stay here for one night B&B......definitely over priced.
We stood at the bar for ten minutes waiting to check in because there was only one young girl serving, she was on reception and bar duty.
We were eventually shown to a tiny, dark room that had a small window so high up on the wall that we couldn't see out of it. After grumbling we were found another room that was lighter, brighter and more spacious. It was however, overlooking two closed down derelict pubs/hotels.

We had breakfast the next morning which was reasonable, there was a good menu and selection of hot and cold food. My only grumble about breakfast is that the cold buffet ie bread, fruit, juice etc was not covered. There was a big fly in the jug of apple juice which did put us and a couple of other diners off eating and drinking.
Yes..... we all have flies in our houses occasionally but we all try our hardest to cover food etc
Food should have been covered and the juice jugs should have lids!

Positives notes......we slept like logs. The bed was very comfortable.
The power shower was good, lots of water pressure.

Would I stay here again? Yes, but definitely not at £210 a night!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi,
I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Unfortunately the price of our accommodation does increase during the Hampton Court Flower Show. There are tens of thousands of visitors to the area and the demand for hotel accommodation increases ten fold and as such the rates do increase.
We are still one of the most reasonably priced in the area, the price does include full breakfast and we are the closest hotel to the flower show so there are no issues with heavy traffic etc as we are on the Lionsgate entrance. We are also fully booked every year over this period.

The building itself is over 300 years old and when the windows were put in Hampton Court Palace didn't want windows overlooking the estate so all the rooms are a little quirky or facing onto Hampton Court Road to the front, I really like the old quirkiness of the building but I appreciate its not for everybody. I am glad our team were able to accommodate your request and move you to a different room.
Unfortunately the view is out of our control the two derelict buildings are about to be developed into apartments opposite.

I do take your point about covering the breakfast items; the breakfast waiter does put fresh items out and regularly refreshes as we only have 13 rooms however we will look at replacing the serving items with lidded items.

Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

We were going to a friends party and booked here as somewhere to stay overnight. On pulling up we were worried about getting a parking space but can say that we were very lucky and someone was pulling out as we arrived. It was certainly something that was concerning us when we pulled up but there were no issues.

The location is great for Hampton Court, the back of the pub literally looks onto the gardens. I cannot remember the number of the room but it was the Henry Tudor room which was at the front of the building. The room was as per the pictures on the website but the decor was very tired and grubby and could have done with a lick of paint. The bathroom too could have done with some attention. Other than that the room was comfortable and we slept very well in the massive bed.

We had a drink in the pub and it had a nice atmosphere and the food looked fantastic, however we did not have chance to try it.

I cannot comment on noise as we were in pretty late and the pub was closed so it was very quiet when we got in.

Breakfast was good, a nice cooked breakfast, cooked to order and delivered to your table. As well as the cooked there was toast, cereals and juice on a table to help yourself.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hi,
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us...
Just to let you know we currently have a programme of refurbishment going on and have decorated 4 of the original 9 rooms and all of the communal areas. Although we have had to put decorating on hold for the busy summer we aim to have all 9 of the original rooms re-decorated by the end of this year.
Hopefully we will see you again soon, many thanks for taking the time to review :)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Unfortunately i booked for 2 nights at tjis hotel..the room was very small..not even a botle of water inside the room.the bed was really small.on the top of these too much noise so i couldn't sleep..at the very next morning i left that place... even though i requested a refund for the second night they refused it..the told me that they will refund me the money only if they re-sell that room and if i will fimally stay i will have a dinner free of charge..!!!!!!in addition they had told me that i am the only one that i have ever complaint about the noise... for the record the hotel is located on the street...the worst hotel i have ever stayed.. my reservasion was for 12th & 13th of june... the worst experience, after 10 biz trips in uk

• Stayed June 2013
Hi,
You booked a single room with us and the bed you stayed in was a single bed which is a standard size in the UK. We do have other rooms with double beds and some with Kingsize beds but you need to either book one of these or pay the difference and ask to be moved into one of the double rooms.
I myself visited the hotel when the manager contacted me regarding your complaint about the noise and checked the double glazing in the room and it all worked perfectly. To this day I still don't understand what the noise issues were or why you were so angry with everybody. I wrote to you several times to get to the bottom of it and the booking company but to this day no response.
I can only assume you weren't happy with the small bed!
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Molesey
The White Hart Hotel
#2 of 12 in Kingston upon Thames
Holiday Inn London-Kingston South
Premier Inn London Kingston Upon Thames
Premier Inn London Kingston Upon...
#1 of 12 in Kingston upon Thames
The Lensbury
The Lensbury
#1 of 3 in Teddington
Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon Thames
Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon T...
#7 of 12 in Kingston upon Thames

Been to The Kings Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!