“Looks great from the outside, service poor”

The Kings Arms Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 East Molesey B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed here while visiting Hampton Court Palace. It was ideal as it sits on the walls of the palace. It looks very quaint and the bar area was quite comfy looking. We had booked two rooms, our room no12 was very small, their room 11 was a great size with a couple of comfy chairs to sit in. Our room was clean and had everything we needed, but it was very small. When we checked in, after much confusion we were handed keys and the staff member went off to speak to someone else, I had to ask where the rooms were. We booked to eat in the pub at 6.30 and when we came down stairs for dinner, there was lots of confusion and staff thought we had booked for 8pm. Food was ok expensive and not cooked well, one of our meals got forgotten, so everyone had to wait. We ordered desserts and the order got mixed up with one of our number getting two desserts, and one of us having to wait for custard to go with dessert. We slept well and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast was a confusing affair with staff not seeming to know what we had ordered and food not coming on time. Think the need to invest in some staff training. Breakfast was ok if haphazard.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Sarah B, Owner at The Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Hi Jane
Thanks for leaving feedback and I am sorry the service was not as good as it should have been. We work very hard to ensure our guests are looked after properly so it is disappointing to read you did not get the service you should have done on this occasion. Would you be able to let me know what dates you stayed by emailing me so I can look into what team members were working as there seems to be some training issues that need to be addressed! My email is sarah@absolutepubs.com.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards
Sarah

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Nothing that bad but lots of little things made it a poor place to stay. Parking difficult nearby. Tables in the bar usually covered with uncleared plates etc. Staff appeared sullen. Room very small with no space to unpack bags apart from on the bed or floor, no hanging space apart from two coat hooks with wire hangers and heating turned off when arrived on a very cold day. Breakfast selection the minimum with disappointing cooked breakfast - e.g seemed like mushrooms, potato slices and dried out bacon had all been deep fried. Good sausage.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I am firstly unsure wether to give this hotel a 3* or a 4*. I had a comfortable and enjoyable stay so I will give it a 3.5. The reason I am not sure on the rating is because I did not book/pay for this hotel as it was a treat for my 21st birthday. I went to visit London and Hampton Court during a weekend in the summer of 2012 with my girlfriend. A perfect location if you are planning to visit the palace, and relatively easy to get to the centre of London via a couple of trains.

My girlfriend was disappointed with the room. When she had booked, the hotel advertised tudor style rooms as you can see on their website. So upon arrival she was expecting a tudor themed room and was dissapointed when we were shown to our room, which was not in any way Tudor themed but a nice hotel room all the same. Not knowing what to expect, I was happy with the quality of the room but was a little disappointed when I found out my girlfriend was unhappy because we didn't get the room she thought she'd booked for my 21st weekend away.

The room itself was little small, but was very clean and up to date with a nice en-suite, but again, a little on the small side. Sleep quality was good and was a comfortable room to spend the night in. The only bad thing about the room was the damp on the sloping ceiling near the window. However this was only visual, and did to present any problems with smells or physical dampness in the room.

Staff were friendly and helpful and friendly, showing us to our room upon arrival and kindly giving us a bucket of ice upon request at the bar to take up to the room.

Breakfast was of a good quality, and you are given the option of anything from a full breakfast to kippers/eggs on toast. Continental breakfast was self serve and was also full of choice including cereals, yoghurts, fruits, juice, croissants and toast.

A pleasant hotel to stay in, perfect location for the palace with helpful staff and a very good breakfast. The only let down was the room (which was of a good quality and comfortable!) but disappointed in not getting a tudor style room as thought was advertised. (It does state on the website that all rooms are tudor themed.)

Room Tip: If your expecting a Tudor room, its probably best to contact the hotel to make sure what you are act...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a wedding early January, it is in a great location. The room was lovely, with a four poster bed. We had a quick lunch in the pub before wedding which was really tasty, this place has a really nice feel to it. Great powerful shower too. Service was great, breakfast was very tasty, all in all I would really recommend this place if you are in the area.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Turret Room which was really nice.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We booked a night here through Travel Republic at a cheaper rate than the pub was offering on line, so we were quite pleased with ourselves! On arrival there was only one person working, and he was busy serving drinks, making coffee etc. I stood at the bar, booking confirmation in hand, hoping he would offer to help, but he carried on serving and was also in discussion with a couple who appeared to also be waiting for him to assist them. I felt sorry for him as he was obviously trying to do several things at once and told the other person that he was running the place on his own until 6pm (the time now 3pm). Eventually the other couple left and I waited.......he finally checked me in and took me to my room which was very pleasant, although rather small for 2 people (room 12). We had a restful night, the bed was reasonably comfortable and there was tea/coffee and biscuits in the room with nice products in the bathroom. The bath mat had been left inside the shower unit which obviously dripped slightly, so it was soaking wet and we had to put a towel on the floor instead.
Breakfast was OK, again only one person seemed to be serving and the plates were not heated, but good, especially as it was included in the price.
We will stay here again because the location is great, the staff were nice and the room was clean & tidy. Would recommend for 1 or 2 nights and hopefully next time get a bigger room!

Room Tip: Room 12 is rather small for 2 people.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2013

A group of us went for a late Sunday lunch at the pub. We had completed an 8 mile walk so were very much looking forward to a good meal in a nice setting. When we sat down at our table, it was covered in crumbs and used plates and glasses from the previous customers, including a piece of the chocolate cheesecake which had been barely touched. I went to use the facilities which were disgusting. The toilet in the ladies on the left-hand side was blocked but there was no sign on the door to say otherwise. The whole place stank, including our area near the Gent's loos. If it had just been myself and my wife, we would have left. It took nearly ten minutes for our waitress to come and give us the menus. She was unbelievably rude throughout. In fact, all of the staff seemed to have an attitude. All was not well and they let the customers know about it. The food was very average. The roasts weren't warm enough and my soup was "ok". We stupidly ordered pudding and I ordered the chocolate cheesecake. I can see why the previous customer had left it. It was completely inedible and in my mind, out of date and over priced at £5.50. We had had to move tables by this point as well as the smell of drains was too over powering. We were thoroughly disappointed and then stung for £142 for a truly dreadful experience.

We shall not be returning to this establishment, which is a shame as it could be a really lovely place as the website suggests. The website is very misleading.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank mattyrr
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Booked a party here for a client and visited twice to check out the venue and agree details with the manager. The party was themed Cocktails and Canapes and this is what was ordered 4 weeks in advance. 4 different cocktails (including Mojitos) and canapes were agreed with the manager. On the night when I asked for a Mojito I was told they did not have the right sort of mint to make the cocktail!! Then I was told that they found some mint in the back of the fridge but it was not in very good condition. When I finally realised that the cocktails were not going to happen and switched to an open bar the barman announced his delight as he had never made a cocktail before in his life. When the canapes were brought around a surly looking waitress just interupted the guests with a grunt of "D'you want one". The food quickly dried up. Towards the end of the evening when I complained about the amount of food the manager agreed to reduce the bill. This was really not helpful as people were still hungry. It was only when the party was over that we discovered loads of delicious food which was made for our party simply was not brought out because the waitress could not be bothered. At no time was I informed that the food was there. Even when guests asked for food at the bar they were told that there wasn't any and were sold crisps and nuts. The service was truly dreadful the manager and what seemed like her assistant were totally unresponsive to the point of rudeness. The male barman was very pleasant as was the chef and the cleaner in the morning was delightful. I did e-mail the owners after the party to let him know how unhappy I was and was told he would get back to me after speaking to the staff. That was three weeks ago. Very disappointing.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
The White Hart Hotel
The White Hart Hotel
#1 of 12 in Kingston upon Thames
Premier Inn London Kingston Upon Thames
Premier Inn London Kingston Upon...
#3 of 12 in Kingston upon Thames
Doubletree by Hilton London Kingston Upon Thames
Doubletree by Hilton London King...
#4 of 12 in Kingston upon Thames
The Park Hotel
The Park Hotel
#3 of 3 in Teddington

Been to The Kings Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!