“Amazing building and gardens; quite light on reading material” 4 of 5 bubbles

and up
Hampton Court Palace Priority Entrance Ticket
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Visit the famous hedge maze, Tudor knot garden and the state apartments at this splendid red-brick Tudor Palace, which is set in formal gardens and open parkland along the Thames River.
London, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Amazing building and gardens; quite light on reading material”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

I took a day off work and attended Hampton Court Palace on an idle Friday. It was a good day for it as the grounds were quiet and even the obligatory legions of schoolchildren on school trips were sparsely spread out over the large and attractive grounds of the palace.

For a £16 adult ticket, I got access to all of the gardens, the famous maze and the entirety of the palace itself. The palace building is incredible and there are plenty of rooms to explore and trails that you can follow. The main downside of this is that there are very few boards and notes left out to provide reading material to explain what you are seeing. I guess this is to encourage you to use the audio tour option, which is ok in places, but can get tiresome after a while and if you want to skip through a few rooms and pick up the journey again. Certain areas of the palace are more furnished than others with impressive paintings and decorated from the style of the time. This does give the feeling of authenticity to the place although it does occasionally feel that you are simply walking through a series of featureless corridors to get to the more furnished rooms.

‘The Secrets of the Bedchamber’ exhibition currently on was a highlight. I expected something a bit bawdy, but learnt a lot about the significance of the bedroom in Tudor and Edwardian times.

The food on site was decent and the maze was good fun to tackle as well(although I’m glad it was included in the price of my ticket - £4.40 for an adult if not!). I enjoyed my day out there and certainly found enough to do to fill up my time there. A little bit more reading material so I could take things at my own pace and not at the pace of the audio guide would help improve things, but overall a decent day out.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
231 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 201 helpful votes
“Visit with friend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

I always love coming back to Hampton Court Palace. Steeped in history, so well-maintained, beautiful gardens.

Wagga Wagga
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Truly exceptional in every way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

This is an amazing place to visit, and, I found, perfect in every respect.
The palace is breathtaking and the history behind it fascinating.
The palace is beautifully enhanced by displays, information, guides, actors, videos, and props, as well as many original artifacts. I enjoyed every aspect of my visit, from the gardens, to the Tudor kitchens and the gorgeously presented shops. The Tiltyard Cafe serve up a variety of scrummy meals, snacks, cakes and drinks and the other facilities and restrooms are conveniently placed and well maintained. The staff I dealt with were all exceptional and on a personal note my mother had a fall at the Palace gates and the care and attention she received was so very much appreciated. Although we are on holiday and have limited time in London, we are trying to fit in another visit. That's how much we enjoyed this place!!

Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Excellent day out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

Excellent Palace - enjoyed the free audio guide which was an interesting story and informative. There were many guides around most dressed in period costumes; they were very helpful - we even saw King Henry! The palace is huge and it took us ages to go around and everything was well preserved.
The gardens were lovely but it rained so we didn't see all of them but what we did see was very well kept. I would say you need at least 4 hours for this visit to see everything. Quite a lot of walking but there are plenty of seats around and also a café and restaurant and a souvenir shop.
If you're into the Tudors and Stuarts it is well worth a visit.

London, United Kingdom
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Gardens Only”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

It was a beautiful sunny day & we thought the gardens would be well worth a visit.
We bought tickets for the formal gardens & maze rather than the palace.
It was too early to fully appreciate the formal gardens as not much was in full bloom.
So not really sure if the entry fee was worth it. The maze was a lot of fun & we certainly did get lost for a brief moment.
The general gardens that are open to all (free) was definitely worth a stop on a bench seat to take it the beauty of the sea of daffodils & flowering trees.
Take a picnic to enjoy too.