South Park Hotel
Jurys Inn London Croydon(Croydon)(Great Value!)
$57
Travelodge
$80
Agoda.com
$65
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 31, 2010

My wife and I had been invited to a friends BBQ, living a couple of hours away from Croydon we decided that so we both could get into the party spirit, we would stay overnight at the SouthPark Hotel; It is located very near to where we were going.
On arrival, apart from the rancid smell of curry that is prevelant throughout the "hovel" the staff were ignorant, rude and unhelpful. We were shown to our room which was severly rundown with the main lights in the room not working, I asked to be moved to a different room because of this and was told to "jiggle the key card until the lights came on" and that we were not going to be moved.
My wife at this point just said to me that we were only going to get our heads down when we got back from the BBQ anyway and much to my annoyance we just walked off from the very unhelpful man at reception.
On our return the restaurant was in full swing and there was music being played at an intolerable level from an adjoing bar area.
We went to bed - HOWEVER the music being played, which was indian music was so loud that not only we could not sleep we could not hear any of the two channels that were available on the TV. I went downstairs to ask for the music to be turned down only to be met with a tirade of abuse from an elderly Indian woman who stated that the music would only be turned down when the restaurant closed - about 1'oclock. To this I made it quiet clear that if the music was not turned down to a level were I would not be disturbed by it half way across the hotel that I would then call the Police and demand my money back. The music was eventually turned down at 12.15pm however drunken workmen who obviously use the hotel when working away from home were loud and noisy pretty much for the remainder of the night. We left at 7am when I was certain that an alcohol that I had drunk at the BBQ was below the legal limit - I WISH I HAD NOT HAD A DRINK BECAUSE I WOULD HAVE LEFT THE HOTEL A LOT SOONER OTHERWISE.
When we did leave no one was availble on reception to deal with these issues hence this blog.
Please please please DO NOT SUBJECT YOURSELF TO THIS PLACE IT IS DIRTY, SMELLY AND RUN DOWN AND THE PEOPLE WHO RUN IT ARE IGNORANT, RUDE AND HAVE NO CONCEPT ON SERVICE - £78 PER NIGHT ????? EVEN DICK TURPIN WORE A MASK

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nat1972
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Completely agree with the previous negative reviews. This place is more like a few rooms stuck on top of an Indian restaurant than a hotel. You can find much better value (and cleaner) hotels by using the bigger cut price chains in East Croydon.

The receptionists were unhelpful, barely looking up and taking forever to locate my booking. The discussion that ensued took place in their own dialect, rather than English, so I had no idea what was going on.

The hotel itself is very tired looking. They should have spent some money redecorating the place rather than investing in the huge neon restaurant signs that hang outside. The room needed a good clean, with peeling paint, stains on the bed cover and a shower that smelt of mould. Thank god I was drunk before I returned for the night or I might not have slept at all.

Only book if proximity to an Indian restaurant is your priority.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank Justin_st
Reviewed February 28, 2010

As a business woman travelling alone, always looking to keep my expenses to a minimum and mindful of keeping safe, I am pleased to able to share my thoughts on my stay at South Park Hotel. After a few hectic days of working in central London, I was grumpy and very tired - the hotel receptionist kindly upgraded my room to the quietest area of the hotel. She also accommodated me with an extra unplanned night on parking my car and booking of a taxi to get me to the train station. The meal in the Spice & Ice, Indian meets Chinese cuisine restaurant, was divine - i have bookmarked this hotel for stopping at next time im working in this area.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 7, 2009

I booked this hotel for a two night stay after checking its website. The first thing that hits you when you walk through the reception doors, is the overwhelming smell of curry, as the hotel also doubles as an indian restaurant. The second, is an unfriendly, unsmiling indian lady who barely looks up and moves slower than an injured snail to 'assist' you. After a particularly unspectacular welcome, I was shown to my room. Resembling the inside of a shoebox in both colour and size, there was also a curtain half hanging off the rail and again, a lingering smell of curry.

I paid to use the internet and was told to 'just plug it in'. Of course this did not work as I needed a code, and even when I figured this out, the internet didn't work anyway and I had to call someone to get it fixed. The tv, apart from just about mustering channels 1 and 3, was hanging off a wonky bracket meaning you have to hold your head at a 45 degree angle to watch it properly. Failing to find another hotel nearby at such a late time on a Saturday, I decided to approach reception about cancelling my room for the following night instead. I have never done this before and felt slightly uncomfortable doing so. Whilst still having a chat to someone on her mobile phone, the lady on reception simply shrugged and said they have a 48 hour cancellation policy and no refund was available. Not wanting to lose all my money unnecessarily, I asked if I could upgrade my room instead. They only had one for the following night so I asked if I could see it first. Admittedly you could swing a bigger cat in there and it was certainly cleaner, however, the horrible decor of the entire hotel and the complete lack of facilities still remained. You might expect something basic when staying in a small, family run hotel but this is usually made up for but a cosy atmosphere and friendly staff. If you want a complete lack of quality coupled with surly, unpleasant staff, this is the place for you.

After realising I couldn't bear to sleep in my original room even for a night, I decided to cut my losses and leave. The lady on reception obviously took this personally and said I clearly made a mistake in picking a hotel such as theirs. I said the website is not a true reflection of the standard of hotel this is. Make no mistake, this is a run-down 'hostel style' establishment that pretends ro be something better to justify the overcharging. In a particularly non-eventful part of South Croydon, the location is not even a redeeming feature. My advice would be to try one of the chains in East Croydon if they have availability. They are of a much higher standard and are actually more reasonably priced! On leaving, the lady told me I had made a poor choice of hotel! That's one thing we certainly agreed on!

Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank Newcomer1Surrey
Reviewed March 26, 2009

Having travelled to Croydon late on a sunday evening, booking in was painless, the staff were excellant, even though due to rooms being booked by company, and confusion on companys behalf re payment. The owner said have a nights sleep, and this can be sorted out the following day "which it was" very understanding and considerate!! you dont get this is big hotels. Rooms were very clean, and power shower excellant. The staff were friendly and engaged in conversation taking general interest, again you wont get this in large hotels. The meal i had on the Monday evening was fantastic, indian/chinese, they cater for different palets, and if you like spicy try traditional indian. Would i stay again ? of course. Take a tip, ask for a room in the new annexe, quiet and comfortable. Well done south park.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business