“Disorganised Staff” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Prague, Czech Republic
“Disorganised Staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

The hotel itself is difficult to find but it's in an attractive area with shops nearby and a short walk to the rail station. It's clean and comfortable but that's where the positive qualities end. I had the unfortunate occurance to have a three day booking before I realised I needed to add another day before my three day stay so I did so on another booking. Upon checkin I explained this situation and was told it was no problem and that I could stay in my same room. The next morning I was told I would have to checkout at 11am and return at 2pm to check in for my second booking. I explained the situation to the new front desk staff and they said that the room I had just stayed in was allocated to someone else. They said that the new occupants had requested a twin and so my room had to go to them. (Incidentely I had requested a double and was given a twin) I explained that this was not acceptable and after much argueing (20 mins) I was given a new room that had just been cleaned. After checking in I was told later in the afternoon that it was possible that I could have stayed where I was if I preferred a twin to a double. (You wouldn't believe it unless you were present but it was like Laurel and Hardy) For four days I dealt with the front desk staff who would often contradict each other and were not working as a team. The clincer came at breakfast. The breakfast buffet had no plates for the guests as they had been used up. I asked a waitress for a plate and she told me that I could go get a plate from an area on the otherside of the restaurant and if I could bring more plates for the other guests who were also waiting. They actually get you to do their jobs for them, same I couldn't check myself in. Regardless, the hotel itself is quite good but the hotel staff are abysmal and had problems working together and organising the simpliest of tasks.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
managerex, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Croydon, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear Matthew M.

Thank you for your review about your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express London Croydon.
I am sorry to read that the level of customer service you experienced was not up to your expectations. We pride ourselves for the good customer service we provide to our guests and your comments are certainly troubling and will be passed to the relative departments so that appropriate action will be taken. I am glad to read that our hotel in general, its location, the room, and the level of cleanliness was up to your expectations. We hope that you will be choosing us again for your future travel needs.
Sabrina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

The reception looks lovely and welcoming but the staff were very unhelpful, impolite and not friendly. Not a good start to our stay. The check in process set a precedence for the rest of the stay. Room was okay with basic facilities, beds really soft. Room did not feel comfortable, wifi is a nightmare to log on to. Need to register then call reception to get a code. They (the same unfriendly staff when we checked in) kept us on hold for ages and it was such a long winded process, gave up in the end! Breakfast staff were lovely but some of the food items (sausages, beans, sliced bread) of low quality. Parking restrictions all around - quite costly even in the evenings. We checked out after two days for another hotel whilst work was being done to our home. In comparison to other hotels we've recently stayed in, definitely in the bottom two. Would not stay here EVER again.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel. Feels like you're doing them (some of the staff) a favour with your c...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jon0706
Dear Jon0706,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Holiday Inn Express London Croydon. I am sorry to read that our hotel was not up to your expectations.Your comments have been passed to the relative departments and they will be dealt with. Please contact us at gm@exhicroydon if you so wish.
Thame, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

This has to be one of the worst hotels I've had the misfortune to stay in. I've given it two stars rather than one as, due to my habit of following advice in TripAdvisor reviews I've been fortunate in never staying at any really bad hotels! And on this occasion the room itself was adequate, it was the management or the management's policy that was the problem here.
When we arrived we knew we were to check in from 2pm. We were early & after hanging around Croydon for a while we thought we'd head inside the hotel about 1.45 & take a chance. We were told our room was not ready, unsurprising enough. We waited patiently in the lobby for about half hour. But when several other parties arrived & were given keys to their rooms we returned to the desk & asked again for ours. We were told no it still was not ready. Another 15 mins went by, more people arrived & went to their alloted rooms. We complained again & asked to be given a different room, we were told no we must have our alloted room & they could not change this. We were actually there to go to a wedding. And by this time some friends of ours who were going to the same wedding came down from their rooms. On finding us there they kindly offered us their room to change in while they headed off to the wedding which we were by now late for. Halfway through changing wouldn't you know it our room was ready so we had to bag everything up again & wander up 5 flights to our room half dressed.
Our room was ok though rather tired & in need of a refurb. Our sleep was adequate though nothing fantastic. On getting up next morning however after my partner had told me he'd had a lovely shower there appeared to be no hot water left for me. I gave up & went without. On reporting this at reception the lady behind the counter did go & investigate whilst we had breakfast.
To be fair this lady on the second day did deal with our complaints, we did feel she listened to what we were saying and she did give us a bit off our bill. She took the trouble to explain what had happened when we arrived: basically Holiday Inn have a policy whereby guest who belong to the Holiday Inn "members club" have until 3pm to check out of their rooms. But their booking terms state that new guests can check in from 2pm. It doesn't take a genius to work out what's wrong with that policy! They could have easily eased our problem by switching us to a different room, but their inflexible attitude when we attempted to check in made the whole thing much worse.
Be warned!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Julie E
Dear Julie E.

Thank you for your review about your stay with us at Holiday Inn Express London Croydon. I am sorry to read that check in procedures were not up to your expectations and I apologise for that. Please be reassured that your comments have been passed to the relative department and appropriate actions taken. I am glad to read that your room and the quality of your sleep was adequate and that our staff dealt efficiently with your complaints the following day. We strive to provide all our guests with an excellent service and your comments will help us in improving it. Thank you again.
Best regards
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

The hotel is a bit small but its accommodation facilities were adequate. The buffet breakfast was ok. Receptionists were helpful. The location is not that great neither is it too close to the train station to get to central London.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
managerex, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Croydon, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear mgurcam,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I am glad to read that you found our rooms adequate, our receptionists helpful and the free breakfast up to your expectations. I regret that you found our location not very convenient for your travel needs. I hope that this will not deter you to use our hotel in the future and we will be looking forward to welcoming you back at Holiday Inn Express London Croydon.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

My family and I stayed at this hotel twice and we have no complaints whatsoever.
The only minor issue is that you need to park your car about 5 minutes walk away and have to pay £7.00/day.
The continental breakfast has everything you need to get started with your day.
The staff is helpful and friendly.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Fabio S
managerex, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Croydon, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Dear Fabio S,

Thank you for taking time to write a review about Holiday Inn Express London Croydon.
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Good place, service was good, room was very clean just a little hard to find..limited food menu and after a long trip don't want to go out looking for a restaurant. I have to say that I have stayed in worse hotels.. After all that I would use again

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank robert h
managerex, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Croydon, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Dear robert h,

Ibiza, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

The Service

I was there for ten days. From check-in to check-out, everyone was friendly and helpful.

The Room

Everything was clean enough. Got four pillows -never had had that many- and arranged them to my taste. And the only thing I was starting to dislike was corrected by the staff before I reported it.

Location & Amenities

The hotel is a little far for East Croydon railway station, but this is not really a problem because the tramway will take you and your baggage there from Church Street in minutes. It is a short walk to West Croydon station, with fast and frequent services to London... if you want to go to London. But I wanted to visit several other towns instead, travelling by railway, and Croydon compares very favourably with Central London for my purposes. And, as other reviewers have remarked, Gatwick Airport is nearby.

The hotel is a little apart from the streets. This means walking a few extra yards, maybe... and very quiet rooms, so I would say that this is good.

And Croydon is a nice town by any standards. I really miss the ale, beer, and cider...

Best & Least Liked

The overall experience was very good. Having the tramway right there was a great joy for me, but I do not expect everyone to share my love of trams... And I do not remember anything remarkable on the negative side.

Summing up, I would say that this hotel is good value for money, and I would gladly have stayed longer.

Room Tip: I was in the fourth fllor of nine and my room was quiet enough.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo