“Awful”

Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Wales
“Awful”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

we stayed here beg aug during the school holidays we were visiting chessington the previous evening we stayed at the chessington holiday inn and that was excellent,however words fail me to describe this hotel the car park was a long walk away with a 7 and 5 year old we were told when we arrived but by the time we unloaded there was a space outside which was great but they failed to tell us it was a .£12 charge which was debited from our account without permission. The room was so hot my 5year old was sick we would have left but we had tics for the next day we asked countless occasions for a fan or to turn on the air condo but no luck, truthfully we could not get out of there quick enough the car temp said 31.5 I am sure it was cooler than that room. I am a holiday inn priority club member but I will think twice about staying in a holiday inn again. Not worth having my children ill for ,

Room Tip: Had to rate it would not let me go past it My tip don't stay there
2 Thank Kathryn J
managerex, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Croydon, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear Kathryn J.

Thank you for your review about your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express London Croydon. We regret that our hotel was not up to your expectations. I can confirm that we do charge £12/night for on-site parking. Alternatively our guests can park at the QPark carpark or at the local open space parkings. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests. We value you as our guest and hope you will continue to choose IHG for your future travel needs.

Sabrina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Norfolk, UK
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The only difficulty was the car park being off site, and when you don't know the area at all and the one way system that is in existence made that difficult. The breakfast provided was excellent but crowded at the time we chose. Special mention should be made for the friendly, efficient breakfast staff - not so easy when it is so busy. The reception also helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Flosephine
managerex, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Croydon, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Flosephine,

Thank you for taking time to write a review about Holiday Inn Express London Croydon.
cornwall uk
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This hotel is difficult to find if arriving by car, due to oneway sytems and being tucked away behind shops.The hotel has no carpark, but have a reduced rate if useing a nearby multi story.
We could not checkin until 2.30pm, but could leave our bags. staff were fine, bar and resturant clean,as were rooms. some noise at night,but this was mainly other guests. Breakfast was busy, but ok if you got down early enough. train station was 10 mins up the road, and the hotel is well placed for shops, and pubs, and places to eat. Very handy for trips to london, trains 20 mins to victoria. Would use this hotel again as we were very pleased with price and location.

Room Tip: Our room was above the entrance, where people tended to stand around smoking, so there was some nois...
1 Thank mitchcornwall
managerex, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Croydon, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear mitchcornwall,

Thank you for your review about your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express London Croydon. We are glad that our location, rooms, breakfast and staff were up to your expectations. We regret that we fell below your expectations in some areas of your stay. We appreciate your comments and we are looking forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Ocilla, Georgia
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I chose this hotel due to convenience of experiencing more than just central London on my first vacation abroad. I was here for a week and it was a miserable time. First of all, the staff is quite rude other than the older Romanian lady who's name I didn't catch and a young lady named Lucia. The room was terrible. The sofa bed was broken and so was the air so we were forced to either roast or have the air on. The room smelled of cigarettes too. The breakfast was somewhat nice although I wouldn't suggest the yogurt and don't expect anything like fruits to be fresh. However, compared to what I'm used to in the US, I'd say the hospitality was good and I could count on my room to be straightened up which helped. If you don't mind walking a bit, East Croydon and West Croydon stations are your best bet although there is no Underground service anymore. Shopping is plentiful and culture abounds! Near the hotel there is a '99p' store which has some great deals, especially on things like chocolate and other food/drinks. If you're landing or departing at Heathrow, take the train!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank cmitchellichs
Dear cmitchellichs,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express London Croydon. We are sorry to read that we fell below your expectations in some areas of your stay. Rest assured that this isn't reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves. We are glad that you found our location to be to your satisfaction. Thank you for your kind comments about some of our staff, we all strive to give great and impressive service to all of our guests. We value you as our guest and hope you will continue to choose us for your future travel needs.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I was desperate for a room to stay for the night after a terrible experience at the Ibis Styles in Croydon. For only £10 more than what I'd paid at the Ibis I found the Holiday Inn - in hindsight I should've booked this hotel in the first place.

Friendly reception staff on checkin. Clean lobby, snacks and drinks available for purchase and a bar. Nice secure and safe hotel, need key cards to operate the lifts and to enter the stairwell. Room was huge and clean. Bed was ever so comfy, had a great quiet night sleep. Free cooked breakfast in the morning, great selection of food available, very nice. If I ever need to stay in the area again I'd definitely return.

I fortunately managed to get a hotel parking space, at £12 it was a bit pricey, but I understand they offer a cheaper alternative close by. I was too tired and lazy to seek that option, and by that point was just happy to be there!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank CousinBb
Dear Miss_Aurora_84,

Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I booked room in this hotel, because it was cheaper than other hotels in London. It´s quite long way from centre of London, but it´s quiet location. I was there with my mum and brother, because we were in London first time, for tourism.
With this hotel I am satisfied. It´s good prize (for 3 people 390 euros), room was clean, but we have problems with leg of bed, and we heard from neighbouring room voices.
But it´s quiet location, and no problem to go to the centre of London. Train station is from hotel approximately 10 minutes, and from station are driving trains (name of company is Southern, 20 minutes from Croydon to Victoria) to station Victoria. And from Victoria you can go everywhere. (near is Buckingham Palace).
Staff in hotel is friendly, breakfast are good (typical english breakfast, also some yoghurts, baked goods....everything what you want. And you can ask for special breakfast.

We stayed on first floor, and our view was on warehouse on Primark, which is opposite hotel.

I think that this hotel is good, if you want to go out, and no for sitting in room. For overnight it´s good. We were here 4 nights.

2 Thank astra2q
Dear astra2q,

Yorkshire, Ohio
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

I like collecting loyalty points and therefore stop in IHG hotels wherever possible. I even took out a IHG Priority Club Rewards Visa card recently and used it to reserve this accommodation for 2 days. Upon arrival they had already billed one nights stay to the card - which was approved, however when I pointed out I was stopping for two nights, they noticed their mistake and tried to bill another nights stay, but as I was present with the card, I had to enter the pin number. I use a very specific pin for my cards and it didnt work on their terminal. I am a Gold level member and also had photo id (driving license) not to mention dropping off my luggage with them that morning before going in to the clients office. As the pin number didn't work, I asked them to swipe the card (hell, the card has a signature strip on the back). He wouldn't as the manager said my signature didnt match the check in slip (remember, gold member, card approved already for 1st night stay, photo id, luggage). He said "the gaps bigger on the card than on the slip". The checkin girl wouldnt give me may card for the room I already had paid for. Getting annoyed I asked told him to bill my other card (same signature, same pin which worked). Talk about being p*ssed off after a long day.

Being a manager means having to have some level of common sense. I had photo id, left my luggage in the morning, priorty club gold level member, the card worked fine to bill the first nights stay - hell the visa customer services when I just called them said there was nothing wrong with the card and resent my pin via the post and not to mention I am booked in the hotel until May 2014!

Am now going to cancel all the reservations and go up the road to the similarly priced Hampton by Hilton hotel for the next several months stay.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Leigh G
managerex, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Croydon, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Leigh G,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express London-Croydon. We are very sorry to read that you found your payment procedure not completely satisfactory. We pride ourselves for thoroughly checking credit/debit cards payments in order to prevent frauds, this requires that our guests use their correct pin or that the signatures match, when their card does not have a pin . Please be assured that our procedures are intended to protect our guests and our hotel from any fraudulent use of payment cards. We value you as an IHG Rewards Club member and we are very pleased to notice that you have decided to continue to stay with us.