“Clean, comfortable and great value”

Holiday Inn Express London Croydon
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Twynholm, null, United Kingdom
“Clean, comfortable and great value”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I frequently stay at htis hotel when on business in London and I do so because it is far, far cheaper than a central London hotel. Croydon is 15-20 minutes from London and is served by frequent services to and from the capital. Try to avoid rush hour, though, as the trains are often absolutely packed!

The hotel is about a ten minute walk from East Croydon station but can be hard to find as it is off a street down a poorly lit alley next to a lap dancing establishment opposite a KFC. The reception area is clean and welcoming and the staff are friendly although many of them do recognise me from my frequent visits. Rooms can be slightly small but fine for an overnight stay. Unfortunately, some of them are close enough to a bin collection area for a shopping complex that you may be awoken by rubbish collections or by vans arriving to deliver to the complex. The rooms are clean and usually well maintained but I personally find the beds a little uncomfortable and I find the heating ventilation system annoying (they are common to many HI Express hotels).

There is a very limited choice of food but the receptionists will provide take away menus for a range of delivery services if you don't fancy exploring the dubious delights of Croydon. I think you can also get discount vouchers for a number of nearby restaurants such as Tiger Tiger which is not too far away.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the higher floors and as far away from the bin area as possible (you will s...
1 Thank Stuart A
managerex, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Croydon, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear StuartA,

Thank you for the review which you have left on our hotel, we very much appreciate all comments received and also the fact that you have been staying with us on a regular basis.

Deputy Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Brereton, UK
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Quite simply, one to miss for me.

Finding this place, even with a modern TomTom was difficult to say the least. It is hidden off a side street, and in a very daunting alley. There were two parking spaces outside of the hotel, and these are both reserved for disabled drivers. My first thought about the parking was, "Oh well, the local multi-story car-park is only a stone's throw away." FIRST MISTAKE!! The local multi-story car-park IS only a short distance if after 20:00 hrs, and before 08:00 hrs. Otherwise you have to follow the one-way system around, which is quite a distance, and the car-park is very difficult to find. (Road signs for the Car-park are dreadful.) You are then faced with what I felt was a very scary walk through dark and daunting streets, and the previously mentioned alley. (I am a former Rugby League player, and am not easily scared. Heaven knows what this must be like for ladies.)

The hotel staff were polite, if not particularly friendly. (They must be used to polite comments about the alley. I was polite.) I arrived shortly after a bus-load of Chinese students had been dropped off, and the foyer was packed solid with people and cases. The staff were very efficient, and soon cleared the foyer, when you considered how many guests were there.

The room itself (410) was reasonable. It was a good size, and had four sets of electrical sockets. Unusually for Holiday Inn Express (by my own experience) one of the sockets was on the same side of the room as the bed, and so I found it easy to plug in my CPAP machine. (Usually a problem, as the socket(s) usually exist on the opposite side of the room only, necessitating a request from reception for an extension lead.) I was disappointed to see several stains on the carpet of unknown origin. One thing I like about HIE is the comfort of their beds. Once again, this was a pleasant experience. I also like the choice provided of hard or soft pillows. The room was quiet, with no apparent street noise.

The TV was a modern, flat screen model, and there were a reasonable choice of channels. The internet was free, but is not Wi-fi in the rooms. (It is wi-fi in the foyer, but only accessible by cable in the rooms. Cable was provided, and was in the room when I arrived.) The speed was very good.

The bathroom was modern, and clean. the only items provided though were a shampoo dispenser and two plastic tumblers. (Two electric shaver sockets also available.)

There was a kettle, two cups and free coffee / tea in the room. Once again, no thought for non tea and coffeeee drinkers. Once again, I asked in reception, and no chocolate sachets were available.

Breakfast was in with the reasonable price, but it was only so-so. The hot option was tired looking sausages, dry looking scrambled eggs, and baked beans. Why do HIE not like bacon? I would have thought it standard fayre along with the other options. There was cereal, toast, yoghurts, and various preserves as cold options. Also provided were two machines providing fruit juices and hot drinks. (The hot drinks DID include hot chocolate.)

There are places to eat close by, if you are brave enough to venture out through the alleyway, and into the surrounding streets. (Very close by is a KFC.)

Overall, the quality of the hotel is reasonable for the price, but I would never use it again due to the difficulty finding the place, the threatening nature of the approach, lack of parking and just the "feel" of it.

Room Tip: If you are a lady, and don't like being in daunting situations, I would certainly give this one...
2 Thank Alan_LDSUK
managerex, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Croydon, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Alan_LDSUK,

Many thanks for the comprehensive review of our hotel; we very much appreciate the comments, time and effort taken.
I will be in contact with you personally to discuss each point raised.

Kind Regards
Newcastle, England
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Very conveniently placed in the centre of Croydon but quietly tucked away. Staff were helpful and friendly and there was a very warm welcome. Room was clean and functional and breakfast was good. All this for a very reasonable price. I will definitely stay here again

Dear Vancast,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a great review, we very much look forward to welcoming you upon your return to the hotel.

Best regards
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed 3 nights in a twin room on 2nd floor of this hotel. The room was fantastic, fresh looking, clean and comfortable. The view on our side and on our floor practically non-existent, but we didn't mind since we were in London all day (very good connection to the centre from local train stations). It was quiet at night because of good soundproofing. While the hotel is a little bit hidden, the location itself is alright and there are lots of shopping opportunities around. Staff friendly and welcoming. A big plus is the free breakfast with several hot and cold options.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
managerex, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Croydon, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Marr3wk,

Thank you for the fantastic review, its so very pleasing when we recieve such great feedback from our guests. Should you be back in the area, we would love to welcome you again.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed 2 nights while attending a course at Mayday Hospital and found the service, cleanliness and the hotel in general to be excellent and all my needs were catered for. I will be returning again later this month and will be booking my stay here as.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Nana,

Thank you so very much for the great review of our hotel, the entire team will be very happy to hear your kind words.
We look forward to welcoming you back!

Kind Regards
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2013

,Just spent the weekend here whilst visiting my daughter & son in law. This is our second visit & just as the last time very happy with our stay. Staff we have found to be very friendly & helpful, and our room clean & welcoming. The free breakfast is adequate, and we have no complaints & can only claim a good experience at a budget hotel.

Room Tip: State smoking or non smoking
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
managerex, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Croydon, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear Mrs Hetherington,

Many thanks for the lovely review on your stay with us. It's great to read such kind words of praise, I will feed back your comments to the team,who I know will very much appreciate them.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed on New Years Eve. Was checked in by a straight faced girl called Jana, I told her my full name and that I had a room booked, she ignored me and asked, "Surname?" (This was the only word she said to me on check in.) I gave her my name again and she checked me in in complete silence which made me feel very uncomfortable! She didn't bother to tell me breakfast times, any information about the hotel or even how to get to my room.

- Hotel room is of holiday inn standard, very basic but comfortable.
- Hotel is placed right in the centre of the shops so everything - bars, restaurants etc - are right on the doorstep
- 20 minutes away from London Bridge on the train
- Breakfast consists of sausages, eggs and beans, cereals, toast and juice

On check out, was yet again made to feel uncomfortable when I overheard a receptionist telling a guest who enquired about where his friend was - that his friend had been taken for questioning by police for apparently sexually assaulting someone. Left the hotel to see for myself the police cars parked outside.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Lollylewly,

Thank you for the time and effort to leave your review on your stay with us.

I will contact you personally to discuss each point raised.

Yours Sincerely