“A Good Choice in Croydon, Staff Attentive”

Holiday Inn Express London Croydon
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We visited this property due to visiting a sick relative in Croydon. We ended up moving rooms three times due to a guest smoking in non smoking room, & telephones not working. However, staff made an effort to move our luggage as they didn't have a luggage cart. Dani at the desk dealt with things very well, otherwise, our experience would have been much worse. Final room had issues, but duty manager dealt with complaints very well. If you are North American, the double beds are too small, book a room with twin beds....we plan to do this if we return. The location was awkward but accessible for us. We found the breakfast to be plentiful and good.
Also, we used Croydon cars to and from the airport...great service! We would have given this property 4 stars, but had one too many issues....maybe next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up, as the bin man in the mornings are noisy.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
managerex, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Croydon, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review on our hotel, we appreciate all comments that our guests leave.

I am very pleased to read that the staff dealt with all of the issues for you, and made the experience here more enjoyable. I’m sorry that the location was a bit of a nuisance for you but it’s great that you enjoyed the breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you back if you are in the area.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express London Croydon

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Good location (only 5 min walk to East Croydon station, which has Fast Train service to central London, mainly Victoria station) and shopping center is only 1 min. walk.

Lovely staff..since I booked a train ticket and need to print out..the reception staff sorted it out quickly, that was warm and efficient!

Slightly hard to find..actually..it's just behind the Croydon high street TK MAXX store and opposite is KFC!

Room Tip: book earlier to get a better price dealer...!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
managerex, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Croydon, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review, we really appreciate all comments and feedback received.

I am sorry that you encountered problems with locating us, but it’s great to read that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

Yours truly,

Reviewed October 18, 2012

As chain hotels go, this one is alright. It's a bit of bugger to get to; in the midst of a horrible one-way system. The entrance is down an alley-way of the street, which is a bit odd. There is no parking, with the nearest recommended car park about 5 mins walk away (£9-10 for overnight stay). The car was still there an as we left it, so no problems there.

The hotel is easy walking distance of a number of pubs and restaurants in Croydon.

The breakfast in the hotel was on the poor side. Cremated, cheap looking sausages; soggy scrambled eggs and baked beans was the hot choice. I'd recommend sticking to cereals, pastries and toast. The staff on reception were helpful and friendly enough.

We did have an experience with the lift. Jerking and then stopping in between floors and thus requiring a call to the emergency number. Not the best way to start your day but we survived. The room I had was on the 4th floor. Nice and spacious, decent bed, reasonably sized bathroom. It looked like there was the option for a spare bed or sofa-bed too. It looked out over the alley-way entrance to the hotel, where the bins and bottle-banks were located. Lots of bottles = lots of noise when collected. It can be a bit noisy at kicking-out time if you have your window open.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the review which you have left on our hotel; we appreciate all comments that we receive, as they help us to deliver the level of service that you would expect.

I will be in contact with you personally to discuss each point raised.

Deputy Manager.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I must have stayed at this hotel for work about 5 or 6 times during the last 6 months and I really do have a soft spot for it despite what are some major location downsides; especially if you're using it for pleasure rather than business. Despite a few decent places to eat (including a very good curry house called Sangri) if you head down the High Street from the hotel, Croydon will never be anyone's idea of a great holiday destination. However, with a good tram link and frequent trains into central London (takes about 20 minutes) you could save yourself a lot of money by staying here and travelling into London each day. I've noticed quite a few foreign tourists during my stays as well as a few coach parties taking advantage of the lower rates.

The hotel itself also has a rather unfortunate location hidden behind some other buildings and most easily accessed via a bin strewn and sometimes unpleasant smelling alley (there is a more pleasant way to access it but it's a slightly longer walk and I'm lazy). Not the best first impression but it's uphill after this. Staff are friendly, rooms basic but comfortable and roomy, the breakfast decent (remember it's free and stop complaining) and the hotel is kept nice and clean.

In summary if you want luxury you're looking in the wrong place but considering the price if you're travelling on a budget then this could be the place for you.

Room Tip: Over the years I've probably stayed in most of the rooms - they are all exactly the same!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time and effort taken to leave your review on our hotel, we very much appreciate it.

Like you state the alleyway isn’t the best entrance to the hotel, we do advise guests to use the entrance on Frith Road. I am pleased that you find everything at the hotel to be to your satisfaction and especially that you find our team are friendly.

Thank you again!

Best Regards

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I travelled down the day before the opening ceremony of the olympics for a concert and then to take in the atmosphere the next day. So to get this hotel for nothing using my IHG points was incredible value.

On arrival check-in took no more than 5 minutes. After that I didn't really require any service from the staff but I would say they were very helpful. The room was very nice, the bed was a big double and I was quite high up so had a good view over Croydon. The rooms were also nice and clean and well maintained.

The hotel is about 10 minutes walk from East Croydon station which was important for me as I was travelling in/out of London quite alot. I was very happy although the hotel isn't very well sign posted from the street. Thankfully I had google-mapped it beforehand so I knew where to go but you could be forgiven for missing it.

The breakfast was included in the price and it was a buffet. It was very good quality of food but there wasn't much of each choice. I think this was down to the fact I decided to have a lie in.

All in all this was a very good hotel which suited my need perfectly. If staying in London again during a busy period I would pick this hotel again.

Room Tip: Check beforehand exact location of hotel, as it is just off the main road and could be forgiven for...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
managerex, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Croydon, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear Guest,

I express my sincerest thanks for the kind review left on our hotel; it’s great to read that you used your valued Priority Club points to stay with us on a Reward Night.

It is more than pleasing to see that you found us to be suited to your needs and that the location and links to central London were beneficial.

Many thanks!

Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here for the last two weeks in a double Room and I have been very happy, although I can understand why people suggest get a high floor as the bin men woke me up even though I was on the 8th floor!!

The entrance is basically in a alley and as people have detailed there are a lot of drinks around and I would not suggest good for a single female to venture out.

My negative was this week when I ended up in a single bed room which was probably the worse room I have ever stayed in. The beds were tiny and had lots of kind of press studs on the mattress which you could feel however you lay down. The duvet was narrower than the mattress width so did not cover you at all. This was crazy and all through the night I kept waking up cold with no mattress on me. Lastly the layout was bad with a table next to the bed that when ever you moved you hit the corner of the table.

I think the Holiday Inn inCroydon is basic but ok for the money in London but if your only option is a single bed room I suggest you look elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review left on our hotel, we appreciate all comments both good and bad, as it helps us to build upon the service that our guests expect.

I will be in contact with you personally to discuss each point raised.

Warm Regards

Reviewed October 11, 2012

A bit difficult to find due to the sat nav code and one way systems, tucked away in office block type buildings, very clean, minimal services, nice staff, I would not recommend using a car for this one. close to the centre of Croydon, which in it self is nothing to right home about. would stay again, worth a visit

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the review, it’s great to see that you found the hotel to be to your satisfaction, we fully appreciate all comments and feedback that we receive.

Unfortunately, there is very little the hotel can do with regards to one way systems, but for future reference the post code to Frith Road is CR0 1TA and Priddy’s Yard is CR0 1TS.

Thank you again, we look forward to your return.