“Excellent break!”

De Vere Selsdon Estate
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night on a Groupon deal. It was absolutely lovely. The room was spacious with a great view and the hotel food was really god. The staff were all helpful and friendly and the spa, pool and squash/tennis courts were great too! Everything worked in the bathroom and was clean and well cared for.

I will definitely go again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the grounds.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Stuart M, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Dear Wendy

Thank you for taking the time to review the Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club following your recent stay.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your break and look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in the area.

There are newer reviews for De Vere Selsdon Estate

Reviewed August 4, 2014

Just returned from a one night stay with my husband on an Amazon Local Deal.
Staff were pleasant and friendly but the room was very out of date and shabby, with the smallest double bed going! Asked to pay to upgrade but there were no other rooms available?.
Deal included a 2 course meal with was okay but my fish was cold. Drinks were expensive as with all hotels £5.10 pint.
To make it worse nowhere on their website mentions that they have a leisure complex with indoor and outdoor pools (only mentions beauty/treatment rooms) which we would have loved to use but did not pack our costumes because of this!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a deluxe or kingsize, do not go for standard double. View of golf course is lovely.
1  Thank 303Cazzy13

Dear 303

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed yours stay and I am sorry that an upgrade was not available on this occasion. I have reviewed the hotel website today and the swimming pool facility including photograph is within the leisure section so please do bring your costume on your next stay.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel on a business trip. I've stayed there before and would stay again as it is convenient for my business. It's listed as a 4 Star hotel and first impressions match that rating but sadly it barely reaches 2 Star in my opinion. The booking in process was slow with only one staff member building rather a large queue. Other staff came and went but no one stepped in to assist the young lady who was doing her best. Colleagues and I ordered lunch in the bar but it was very slow to arrive. My chosen lunch, a ploughman's sandwich felt stale on the upper surface but was fine underneath. I suspect it had probably been left for a while in a hot kitchen. A colleague ordered the same later (on different bread) and his was the same. Our evening meal was fine although again slow to arrive but very good value at £15 for a meal deal. Breakfast looked good but was cold, not helped by Aircon blasting out at full strength. Staff were slow to react to items running out on the self help servery. The plates were in a plate warmer but it wasn't switched on!

The bedrooms are dated, no Aircon and only six TV channels! I have to say the staff are very pleasant and try to assist but you feel more are needed. All in all a nice hotel but needs to work harder especially in the catering area. Has the potential to be really good. C'mon management, sort it out!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Hadaway
Stuart M, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Dear Hadaway

I appreciate your comments, which I have shared with the team and in particular the Head Chef and Restaurant Manager and shall ensure that improvements within the Restaurant are made and maintained.

Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

I just came back from an overnight stay here with my daughter,younger sister and mum, overall we had a nice time,the kids loved the pool,it is a stunning building and landscape however the building itself I believe is in need of renovation
I understand that they are maybe trying to keep the authentic style of the building but the interior is really run down,carpets,furnishing included,and it doesn't live up to the grand exterior.
Whilst outside my daughter fell over and badly cut her legs and arms,she was given first aid treatment by a lady at reception who was very attentive and helpful.
Overall I would come back here again but there is definetly room for improvement

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Chantelglitter

Dear Chantel

I am pleased to advise that a full renovation of the hotel is scheduled to comments early next year and I look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in the area.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

On first appearance this is a magnificent building and grounds and the golf course is excellent not that I played.
The reception area was well set out a presented.
Staff very helpful and rooms very clean.
But to find a TV out of the arc with only 5 channels was very disappointed
Bathroom very good but toilet seat moved to much.
Being on second floor window security fixing not fixed.
Carpet in main room rippled and very bad trip hazard.
Bed very uncomfortable.
With no heating on due to summer the room was very hot with know fans or air conditioning.
And to end the price was much to high for what was offered.
Breakfast know fault found very good quality of food and choice excellent.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Len,

Whilst I was pleased that you enjoyed your break I am sorry to read that you were not satisfied with the condition of the bedroom. The hotel is scheduled to undergo a full refurbishment in the near future and I look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in the area.

Reviewed August 2, 2014

I recently purchased a special deal with this hotel which was suppose to be available on certain dates. The deal included staying in a double superior room.
When I called to book on the date specified they said yes the room was available, when I mentioned the deal I had already purchased, all of a sudden the room wasn't available and they had nothing available at all within the dates I had paid for. So they have sold me a deal that actually isn't available.
When I called to reserve the woman on the phone was extremely rude and said it was my fault for not checking availability before purchasing. I said I did check and the room was available, now that I have mentioned the deal it's suddenly not available. She continued to say it was my fault and she could see if she could 'squeeze me in' on a Monday. But I had paid more to stay on a Saturday. She then continued to blame me. When I said they shouldn't be selling a deal that isn't available, she then replied that it wasn't their fault and was very dismissive.
If the company is this unhelpful and rude before even getting there I dread to think what the actual stay would be like.

3  Thank Kayleigh A

Dear Kayleigh

I was sorry to learn that you had such poor service whilst trying to book your accommodation and I am aware that the hotel Reservations Manager has been in contact with you directly for further information.

Poor service is not acceptable and I know that the investigation will ensure that appropriate re-training is carried out with the team member concerned.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

Having stayed at this hotel for three weeks, we found it extremely satisfying. Our room was spacious and comfortable while most basic amenities were provided. The hotel's interesting and eloquently written history only added to the charm of this great hotel. While it must be said that the hotel was a bit over-priced, the service was excellent. Staff were always willing to help in every way whenever there was a problem. One member of the staff who we would like to particularly thank is Osama, who was always friendly and willing to help customers, but we also saw him being politely firm with some customers when it came to the health and safety of other patrons which is something that is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much Osama.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Dear Abh

I was pleased to read your review and have shared your comments with the team - and in particular Osama. It is always great to receive positive feedback.