“Disappointing”

Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
East Sussex, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Back home today after an overnight stay....we paid extra for a view over the Golf course and with this we weren't disappointed...although the room was a little jaded, the view was lovely. Included in our deal was dinner and breakfast. The dining room which appeared to have been renovated was very stylish, although the same cannot be said for the service. Our waiter for the evening was attentive to start but then once the restaurant began to fill up we were totally ignored...we had to ask to give our order for dessert and then had to chase this up taking over an hour of waiting. Breakfast this morning was a total fiasco...lots of guests and staff running around like headless chickens..the food was very average on both occasions. The best though was at 3am this morning...staying on the first floor, we were woken up by staff outside our room loading what look like pictures onto a trolley..making a right racket. I had to go out and ask them to stop as people were sleeping, however no notice was taken and I ended up having to ring reception to ask that they do something about it. Hence we both had a terrible nights sleep!!!!! All is all a real shame as the hotel is set in the most beautiful surroundings but definitely needs some assistance in getting things right.

1 Thank clairen1962
Stuart M, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear Claire,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club following your recent stay.

Whilst I was pleased to read that, in general, you enjoyed your stay, I was sorry to learn about the service at dinner and breakfast. I have shared this feedback with the team and improvements have been made.

I am still investigating the removal of pictures from the hotel at 3am. This is unusual and I am sure that this may have been the night team setting up for breakfast however it is not acceptable.

Thank you again for the feedback and I do hope to welcome you back when you are next in the area.

Stuart McGowan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

This is our 4 time at selsdon park .
great room . good food but it's00.50 in the morning and the next door are having a party very loud laughing and talking shame as we always support the hotel by telling everyone even though it's a little old don't be put off it has a great feel about the place hope we get done sleep tonight

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Nickytay2012
Dear Nicky

I am glad that you enjoy staying at the hotel and apologies for your noisy neighbours. Thank fully, noisy from other guests is not generally a problem I encounter but when this does happen, our manager on duty will ensure the guests are requested to be more considerate.

I look forward to welcoming you back for your next stay.

Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

No other word for it! Other than poor, underwhelming and eye way wrongly expensive for very little in return. Admittedly, I checked in at around 22:30 and checked out at 06:00 so I was not there to sample any of the facilities they claimed. That said though my requirements were modest. A comfortable room, food, to wash and to iron a shirt. I got none of these. The room was miserable - old in a run down and uncared for way. Old facilities and every fitting was worn and tired. The bathroom was the same - everything worked but it all made you feel terribly sad!

Room service at 11:00 could only ofer me sandwiches - and for£20 I got processed turkey and packet plastic cheese.

In the a.m there was only a dry iron that hardly troubled the creases in the clean shirt in my case - it looked like I had slept in it.

NEVER again!

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Dominic K
Dear Dominic,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club following your brief visit.

I was sorry that the hotel did not suit your taste and the experience was not positive.

I do hope for the opportunity to welcome you back and to change your opinion of the property when you are next in the area.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Booked upgrade which was over looking the golf course which was fantastic, that's the view taken care of. Lets start with reception, very good. bar, great service from Hannah, shame she is leaving. food ordered at the bar - 40 minutes and got it wrong. Spa - Ha. room was upgraded and complained, got club room which was next door 310 and very nice but very old looking. Windows leaking.
We now come to breakfast, greeted by restaurant is booked and full can I have your room number and help yourself to a drink and wit in lounge. we were in conversation with a fellow guest when a yell of our room number we were summoned to the restaurant like naughty children. No Mr & Mrs.....your table is ready. Real shame considering such a beautiful old hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Stuart M, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Dear Mark

I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed the hotel and facilities and thank you for your comments regarding the service and in particular breakfast service. I will ensure the Breakfast manager is briefed on your feedback to ensure this 'style' of managing busy periods is reviewed and improved.

I hope to welcome you back when you are next in the area.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We have been to this hotel 3 times now and the latter of our stays we found that the service and the room had gone down! :( Our shower was dripping even though we had asked for it to be looked at the did nothing about it :( on one day they did not come into our room to tidy it even though we had put the sign up on the door as we went out for the day. Also the breakfast was nothing like it said on the menu and the provisions for special diets(wheat and gluten free) was alomost non existant :(. The outdoor pool for 2 years running now has been closed and left to rot :(

2 Thank lindasolts
Dear Linda

I am sorry to learn that you have found the hotel to have gone 'down hill' since your last visit and I can assure you that your feedback will be shared with the team and improvements made and maintained.

I am also pleased to advise that there are advanced plans to fully refurbish the hotel (including the outdoor pool) and I hope that these will complete in the coming year. Please check our website for details.

In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you be planning to travel to the hotel in the future.

Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The main areas of the hotel are really nice restaurant, bar terraces etc. the spa needs updating if you are looking for luxury this isn't it. Rooms have been refurbished and are nice a little old fashioned still had big boxy tv and when we were there the lift was out of order. There were 3 weddings on whilst we were there so service in the restaurant at dinner and breakfast was very slow indeed. Overall it's reasonably priced but avoid wedding weekends!,

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Sally-Anne

I was pleased to read that, in general, you enjoyed your stay however I was sorry that you experienced delays due to the weddings and events taking place. Generally, weddings are serviced from a different kitchen / area of the hotel so restaurant diners should not be delayed but I shall certainly review the operation and check that standards are being maintained.

I hope to welcome you back when you are next in the area.

Maputo
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

A surprise overnight stay booked for our 10th wedding anniversary. Building and grounds were lovely as was the meal in the restaurant. The room was a bit tired and smelt musty. Unfortunately didnt have time to use the spa.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Alex

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your anniversary break and do hope to welcome you back when you are next in the area.