“wedding weekend”

Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Croydon
wales uk
“wedding weekend”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

We spent a weekend at the selsdon park hotel, although it was a lovely hotel the walk to our room from reception was like a hike up and down vale. I spent the weekend with no shoes, just could not keep up the pace. Must have lost 1/2 stone just on the walking. My Daughter had no hot water for the whole time, she had to use the pool just to shower her 3 children. They did come to look at it, but left leaving no hot water. Upon complaint via e mail my son in law was told, sorry, we are renovating at the end of the year. The wedding was beautiful as was the wedding meal. But they really need to improve the distance, if they are going to expand more, dont extend the wing we were in.

Room Tip: Ask to be near reception if you cant walk far.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Stuart M, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Janetsted,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club following your recent stay.

I was glad to read that, in general, you enjoyed your stay. I agree that it is a large hotel and some of the bedrooms can feel some way from the main entrance and reception area. If you are staying again, please do not hesitate to request a room closer to Reception.

I am however concerned to learn that your daughters room was without hot water for the stay. I have not read this on my Managers reports however I have asked that all the family rooms be checked to ensure this problem is resolved.

Thanks again for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back when you are next in the area.

Stuart McGowan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

The outside is stunning and the location is superb, we were given a room on the ground floor which had an interconnecting door we could hear the conversation and phone from the other room, we asked to move and this was allowed, the 2nd room was described as a double room but it was tiny ,once again asked to move and we finally we given an executive double at no extra cost, we could hear people in the hallway as the door had about a 1/2" gap at the bottom. On the upside the staff are wonderfully polite and efficient .

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Beryl,

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and the team ensured you felt welcomed. The hotel is currently the end of an upgrade programme which has seen the majority of the bedroom doors replaced so I hope, on your next stay, you will notice this difference.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

Nice hotel on lovely grounds, they used to film xfactor here when they did judges houses.

Food was good, from beef to jerk chicken (on request for weddings) would not recommend for tourist due to location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jan

Thank you for taking the time to review the Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club following your stay last year.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel grounds - most of our guests agree that it is a stunning setting and, if you do plan to get married, please do not hesitate to let us know.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

Attended a wedding, from the time we arrived to the time we went home we could not fault the staff, on arrival the staff serving the drinks and canapés were very friendly, when the meal was served the two ladies serving our table were very good and also very friendly, we had a 3 course meal which was very nice, when the main course was served it was very hot considering how many they had to cater for. Also well done to the Toastmaster he did a good job. We found the rooms that were used for the wedding to be very clean. If you are thinking of planning a wedding we would recommend Selsdon Park Hotel

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank JENNY o
Dear Jenny,

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and the wedding celebration and hope to welcome you back.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

I have been to several wedding at SPH over the last few years and I can say that at the last one on the 29th March I noticed a great improvement in all aspects of the day. Not that things were poor it has always been good but there seems to be a great effort to rise above the good and become exceptional, a level I am sure will be maintained if all the current good work, effort and enthusiasm is continued. I really enjoyed the day as did everyone else I spoke to on the day. Well done to those involved

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear P T

I was pleased to read your review and have shared this with the team - it is always great to share positive feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in the area.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

We are on our second night of a 5 day stay on buisiness. I'm genuinely baffled at the bad reviews? I booked here on price alone as was very reasonable so wasn't expecting anything special. The hotel looks very impressive on arrival and the foyer is very grand. Staff where very polite and checked us in quickly. Went up to our room and was very surprised! Massive room spotlessly clean, bath and shower and everything you could need, iron,ironing board, safe etc etc BUT the first thing was the view! Overlooking the golf coarse and grounds and couldn't have been better. Beds comfortable and room very quiet. We brought our own food to keep costs down while working away and the cleaners even washed my breakfast bowl out! Can't rate this place highly enough. The best hotel Iv stayed in while on buisiness and I work all over the uk. Will definitely stay again and have 3 nights left :) will be trying out the spa treatments before I leave. Ps the pool, steam, jacuzzi, sauna and gym are excellent and perfect after a days work! We are in room 108 ask for it!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank kevo197
Stuart M, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear Kev

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club during your stay.

I have also written to you directly to thank you for your comments and trust that you enjoyed the remainder of your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

The setting for this hotel really is good and the golf course is well designed and maintained, unfortunately, that is where the positives end.

The spa/pool area is very dated and could do with a massive refurbishment. The pool is a very strange design - so swimming properly isn't possible; the whole place is boiling hot so you are uncomfortable within a minute of lying on the mostly broken sunbeds (3 of the 4 I tried); and there's a very odd set of windy stairs to walk up to the steam room and sauna, that is, in contrast to the rest of the building, freezing cold.

The rooms are also very dated and in desperate need of modernisation to bring them up to standard. There is no way that they are 4*. The beds are tiny (smallest doubles I've ever seen) and the shower is barely a dribble. It just seems they've all been left to rot. Such a shame as the room had glorious views of the golf course.

We tried to have dinner in the restaurant on the Saturday night. We were ignored and left waiting for 10 mins whilst the waiter tried to work the computer system and then we were finally seated. When we were seated we noticed that the menu was substantially reduced from what we had seen in reception that same morning and vastly overpriced (£25 for a steak). However we thought we would see what the food was like, but after 25 mins of waiting and no drinks order being taken, we got up and left with no one seeming to even notice or care. We drove down the road to the White Bear pub which was lovely.

Finally, two days after our stay I noticed that a charge of £29.80 had been applied to my account for breakfast despite this being included in our rate and having been confirmed by the receptionist. I spoke to the hotel and they have agreed to refund the amount but I wonder how many others have been stung by this?

This hotel could be so much better with a proper refurbishment and proper training of staff. It's just disappointing that such a grand hotel has been left to get into such a bad state.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Nathan,

I was sorry to read that you did not enjoy the hotel and you felt let down by both the condition and the service. I have shared your comments with the team to ensure that service improvements are made within the Restaurant and I am happy to advise that a full renovation is scheduled for later in the year.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Stuart McGowan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Croydon
Croydon Park Hotel
Jurys Inn London Croydon
Hampton by Hilton London Croydon
Hallmark Hotel Croydon Aerodrome
Coulsdon Manor & Golf Club

Been to De Vere Selsdon Estate? Share your experiences!