My husband and I stayed one night in this hotel and, having read the reviews, were very worried. However, most things were good with only 1 slight issue.
Firstly staff on reception were very friendly and professional. The exterior of the hotel and ground ere clean and tidy as we're all public areas.
We had booked a junior superior room, but we're upgraded to a club suite without asking and free of charge. The suite ( room 312) was on the third floor but easily accessible via a very old, tatty but serviceable lift. The room was very large, beautifully clean and spacious and had everything you needed. Te bathroom was also very clean, spacious and perfectly serviceable. Plenty of towels. The bed was lovely and big and comfortable enough fir one night. Pillows were very big and could make your neck quite sore. View of beautifully kept grounds was stunning.
Restaurant staff at dinner were very professional. Fullmarks to Jayson (? Maitre D') for superb professionalism especially later on in the meal. First courses of cheese shuffle and soup were lovely. Vegetarian options are extremely limited and I was advised by staff to avoid them as they weren't very good and they had received previous complaints from other guests. Similarly my husband was advised to avoid the pork for the same reasons. It's always a bit worrying when staff tell you to avoid food on the menu!
We both ordered chicken. After about 20 minutes we were told there would be a further delay because there was a large group in and the kitchen couldn't cope. We were given a free glass of champagne whilst we waited. Husbands chicken was good when it did arrive, but mine was burned and very tough. Jason gave us free desserts as compensation which were very nice. Just a warning- wine starts st £7-10 per glass.
Breakfast is full english or pastries, toast, cereal etc and very nice. Be careful about the staff hairs on plates. All staff very friendly and polite, but the young english blond manager needs to learn not to shout at her staff across the restaurant.
All in all a pleasant stay. I paid half the going rate through group on. It was worth the £95 we paid especially with the upgrade room, but I do not think it is worth the £250 full rate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Et in 200 acres of beautiful Surrey countryside, De Vere Selsdon Estate is an historic country mansion with an 18 hole championship golf course, luxury beauty treatment rooms and well-appointed leisure club. Perfect for large scale business events in the area as well as romantic weddings, this picturesque setting also features extensive grounds ideal for outdoor team-building and celebrations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, LateRooms, Hotel.de, HRS, Reservation Counter and Despegar.com so you can book your De Vere Selsdon Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Selsdon Park And Golf Course
- Selsdon Park & Golf Course Hotel Croydon
- Selsdon Park Hotel Course
- Selsdon Park Croydon