“Great Hotel”

Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Croydon
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on the 21st and 22nd August and really enjoyed our stay. The staff on reception were friendly and helpful and answered all our questions. The superior bedroom was roomy, clean and warm. Also there was no disturbance in the night by banging doors as I recently experienced at a not so nice hotel. In the restaurant we were the first ones in and were given the table we wanted, at the window overlooking the beautiful view. The staff were friendly and attentive especially the Maitre D and nothing was too much trouble. The meal was well presented and hot. Special thanks to Hollie, Yuri, Samantha and Mireea (I think) for an enjoyable evening. At breakfast I did not find the staff so welcoming as before. I asked for hot water and there was something in the pot that was not water. Although it was changed the cup I was given was obviously not clean so it had not been checked, but it was changed again without any fuss.

A downside is that I was with my son and as this is a family hotel there did not seem to be a lot for children to do. The spa was available for the adults but the swimming time was limited for children and there wasn't a games room, which would have helped while I relaxed In the spa. A very pleasant couple of days break.

Room Tip: I asked for the first floor and the room over looked the golf course.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SPHGC, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am pleased to read that throughout your stay the staff were freindly and helpful and that you were happy with your spacious room and view. Please be assured that I will be reviewing the team any areas in which improvements can be made further to enhance our guest experience and in the meantime thank you once again for your lovely comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future for another relaxing stay.
Ray McKibben, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Having just returned from this hotel In August 2013. I booked a family room which was equivalent of a superior room as was on front of hotel with stunning views of surrey countryside.The room had a large bay at front which gave the room a very spacious feel.The room had a very large queensize bed (which could sleep 3)and a double bed.There was also a seating area which overlooked the lovely view.We were visiting London for four days and after a long day sightseeing in London was so lovely to see beautiful countryside..I would recommend at this hotel to pay more to ensure you get view of golfcourse and downs as probably rooms at back would not have same wow factor.Yes this is an old hotel and parts of it are a little old but this adds to the character of hotel.The improvements to the hotel in main areas are excellent and blend in with older parts.
The evening meal was excellent and the breakfasts too.There was everything you could want.I was particularly impressed with the fresh melon that was hand cut up something that takes so long at home. There was a full breakfast buffet but also you could order omlette or poached eggs which appeared straight away.(Nothing was too much trouble)The service in hotel restaurant was excellent and anything we required we got.
A couple of things I needed in room so I phoned housekeeping to ask for them.They appeared within no time and yet again nothing was too much trouble.
I must not forget to mention the hotel runs a prebookable courtesy bus to station.This was excellent.The two drivers were very entertaining and helpful and their characters contributed to the stay.
Only managed one swim as was busy sightseeing but was pleasent and relaxing.

Room Tip: Book superior room for the best view of the Surrey countryside,They cost more but are well worth it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Cjane1
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted that following a day of sightseeing you were able to enjoy the surrounding grounds, views and character throughout the building that we are able to offer to our guests. I will of course ensure that your feedback for excellent food and service are passed to the team which is alway welcome and not forgetting also to our shuttle bus drivers who enable us to continue to offer this service for our guests convenience. in the the meantime thank you again for your great comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I came to have afternoon tea with 5 friends on Friday 26th july . We were placed in the middle of the conservatory which meant people were coming and going the whole time. There was also a wedding going on and very loud children screaming.
After 25 minutes nobody had come to take our order so I went and found someone. When the tea came the people who ordered different tea ie) earl grey, just got a tea bag and were expected to make it themselves. They forgot the milk and glasses for the water, we again had to go and get someone. Again we waited for the food and at 2.45 ( 45 mins after sitting down) I again got up and found someone and asked if we could have something to eat.
The sandwiches finally arrived, we found the selection poor, one being cheese and pickle! The final straw was the bread was dry. By this time we were very hungry, gave up and left. Someone from the hotel did phone me but I was on holiday, I did contact the hotel when I got back but nobody has phoned me.

Stayed July 2013
SPHGC, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, April 28, 2016
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments and I apologise that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Please be assured that we make every effort to resolve any issue that is brought to our attention prior to our guests departure. We also have a Quality Wins which meet regularly to review our guests feedback and please be assured that your comments will be noted and reviewed by them to identify any training or improvements we may implement to enhance our guests experience. We do hope you will return in the future to experience any changes we make.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

After booking a previous horrible hotel with Groupon who now mysteriously changed their name to avoid recognition for their failure, we thought we would give Groupon one last chance and we got this which was even worse and an even bigger mistake which I will never make again. In my opinion, it appears Groupon don't check the hotels they advertise but they advertise these failing hotels like Selsdon Park who are desperate to take all the money they can before they shut down because they are rubbish! To make this a little easier to read, here are the many main reasons you should NOT stay here:

-Old rundown hotel providing bad service and total negligence
-The whole hotel is old, dirty, dusty and seems like it is going to fall apart soon
-Every single staff seems to HATE working here and therefore provide what cannot even be classed as customer service.
-All the staff are rude and unpleasant except 2 in the restaurant named Istvan and Javier who were actually nice and helpful and seemed to not belong in this place full of careless rude staff!
-The room is very dated - all the furniture is old, stained, scratched and falling apart
-The windows didn't open properly
-The floor had dirt, hair, and crumbs all over it and clearly was not even vacuumed!
-We spoke to someone claiming to be the duty manager who showed us another room which was just as bad!
-There was hair in the bath when we arrived - DISGUSTING!
-There were clearly visible stains on the bedsheets and covers - DISGUSTING!
-THERE WERE 2 ANTS IN THE BOTTOM OF THE DRINK THEY SERVED US!!!! (Are you kidding me?????)
-The dishes were not clean for breakfast!
-Horrendous service in a shabby place!
-Hotel couldn't care less that people are having terrible experiences here including us!

It is actually impossible to even start to describe how bad our experience was at this hotel. The words that come to my mind are disgusting and disgraceful! Whoever is running this operation should be behind bars for stealing peoples money and giving them rubbish and a horrible experience for it! If I wanted a haunted house experience I would have gone to a Theme Park!

This was truly a nightmare hotel experience. We spoke to the Hotel Manager who didn't seem bothered at all and did not fix the situation in any way. All she could say was these were the only 2 rooms we have. Take it or leave it. In the middle of speaking to us, she received a phone call, picked it up, and just started talking on the phone and completely ignored us! How awkward and UNPROFESSIONAL! This was an absolute joke! When we showed the housekeeping team leader the stains and how the room was dirty, she was rude, didn't care and best of all, ignored the request to vacuum it and just took away the stained pillows and cover!!! and off course didn't replace it. Haha very funny! She must have been thinking, OK they are dirty so we will just take them away.

When we left, we told one of the receptionists (Joseph) what a horrific experience we had and were told a manager would get in contact with us. Surprise surprise! 3 months later and NOTHING! They obviously couldn't care less that they are robbing people! This was supposed to be a relaxing holiday and turned into a nightmare because of this horrible hotel. No standards whatsoever and they really couldn't care less. This is atrocious and there are hotels and B&Bs out there charging a fourth of the price and offering 100 times more including clean rooms. Come on! These are the basics of running a hotel! I know it must be expensive to refurbish it which it clearly needs but at the very least, CLEAN YOUR ROOMS! Please see the attached photos as evidence :)

The only good thing was the view of the golf course but definitely not worth because the management don't care and bring the whole place down!

What can I say....Ants in the bottom of the drink!!! This just shows the level of hygiene and cleanliness here and how much the staff are paying attention. The biggest problem here is that it really seems none of the staff want to be here and so they don't pay any attention and don't care so the guests get all the rubbish. If you want to come here, prepare for a place which is practically falling apart, lots of dirt, dust, old furniture, lots of rust, torn curtains etc...

164 Terrible reviews. 6 more terrible reviews and this hotel will officially have more Terrible reviews than any other. What does this say about it? This was supposed to be a romantic getaway but if you go to a dirty, old, unhygienic place like this, it will turn into a holiday nightmare! This was such a disappointment and was so bad to the point that it makes me slightly angry when I think of how they ripped us off! Even a 2* B&B would have better standards! You should be ashamed of yourselves to leave so many of your guests feeling like this and not even care! People are paying you with their hard earned money, the least you could do is not ruin their holiday by charging them for a horrible experience at your awful hotel!

I have checked and this hotel is a part of a bigger chain of hotels which I will never use due to false advertising, deception, and negligence leading to such a horrible experience!

PLEASE FOR YOUR OWN SAKE GO ANYWHERE ELSE AND DO NOT STAY HERE!!

Room Tip: Do Not stay here for your own good!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Juan E
Tenterden
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed at the hotel on the 9th and 10th of August. We have stayed here before on a few occasions and been very impressed. However the room we were given this time was very small with horrible views. After complaining to the duty manager we were given a much nicer room with fantastic views across the golf course. Breakfast was poor on this occasion as we had to wait about 30 mins for a table, but this has never happened on previous visits. The hotel and grounds are spectacular but the interior could do with a bit of a revamp. The bar area gets very busy and can be quite pricey. The indoor swimming pool is lovely. Overall I would recommend this hotel but don't settle for poor quality rooms.

Room Tip: Most rooms offer fantastic views, if yours does not ask for a better room. Avoid breakfast between 9...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
SPHGC, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, April 27, 2016
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Surrey
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Had an overnight stay at this lovely hotel booked through Groupon. Included in the price was full use of the spa (swimming pool, sauna, jacuzzi), overnight stay in an Executive Room, a two course meal in the restaurant including glass of champagne, and breakfast. The room was lovely, with a sofa and a HUGE bed, dinner was very nice. There was a wedding and an 80th birthday party going on and dinner was followed by fireworks on the terrace. The only thing that could be improved was the breakfast - not enough staff, so we waited ages for our tea/coffee, food needing replenishing and again not enough staff so half the breakfast was cold, but all in all we had a lovely time. And a brilliant deal - for 2 people the whole thing was £99!

Room Tip: Executive rooms overlooking the golf course are the best.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay at Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club. It is lovely to receive great feedback on every aspect of your stay with of course I will share with my Team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

We arrived on the 25 Aug for afternoon lunch. We waited 1hr for lunch, while we waited we tried to take in the sun/view. But we spent allour time ffighting off the wasp. Then the food arrived in stages our children found arrived 10-15 mins after ours. I must state when the adults food arrived the poor waiter was also fighting of the wasp, with one of them tucking into the chips.
And then the food that's, another story, it was cooked with in an inch of it life. The poor waiter was very apologetic and what seemed over worked.

Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest
Also consider these accommodations in or near Croydon
Croydon Park Hotel
Hampton by Hilton London Croydon
Hallmark Hotel Croydon Aerodrome
Coulsdon Manor & Golf Club
Jurys Inn London Croydon

Been to De Vere Selsdon Estate? Share your experiences!