“Good Conference Hotel”

Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Shanghai, China
“Good Conference Hotel”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Location is problematic if you are visiting London, with taxis necessary or local buses to leave the area. If not leaving the hotel, then not an issue. I was here on an intensive training course, so location wasn˚t too much of a concern. It˚s an old building and this shows in the rooms in places, I complained about a room safe not working and was rewarded with a complementary bottle of wine, which was nice, but no working room safe. I heard other complaints about doors not locking and showers not working. For the price, Id say that I˚d expected better. Service was fine, though staff are clearly rushed and extremely busy. Food was fair, but nothing remarkable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
SPHGC, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I would like to offer my personal apology for any shortcoming you experienced with the operation of the safe in your room. Please be assured that we will endeavour to resolve any issue brought to our attention promptly, however it appears we were unable to resolve this immediately and I understand that an offer was made to provide secure storage of any item in the main hotel safe whilst this issue was resolved. In the meantime thank you for your constructive feedback following your recent stay with us at Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club.
Ray McKibben, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (574)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ely, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I was expecting this to be a difficult weekend... but with 9 girls including the bride to be we had a really nice time getting to know each other in this run down hotel.. Our rooms were about a mile away from the reception (not kidding) and until we had done the journey a few times a map would have been helpful! The pool and facilities were very old and shabby but the staff did the best they could to keep us happy, especially Joseph! The treatments were ok depending on who and what you had.. and again the staff were lovely even though they didn't seem to know what to do... may be some more training is in order.. and a new CD player would be good! The food wasn't spectacular but still ok.. but the bar was pretty nasty ( working men's club style) and very expensive... so we had our own party in one of our long distance rooms... handy to have Sainsbury's just next door!!! It was fun with friends!!!

Room Tip: Very quite out in the annex next to the secret garden!
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to leave your constructive feedback following your recent visit to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club. Please be assured that your comments will be reviewed with our Quality Wins Team to ensure we identify any improvement we can implement to enhance our guests experience and on behalf of the team and I, I would like to offer my apologies to you and your party for any shortcoming in meeting your expectations on this occasion.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I am sorry to write this as I had hoped my stay here would have been more pleasant considering the occasion of which we stayed. We had booked our rooms as part of a wedding package deal and every time I rang up to confirm various details/check in times etc I was met by gruff, unhelpful bored staff.

As the wedding ended at 1am we arrived to check in 1.30am along with all the other members of the wedding party, only to be greeted by what I can only describe as one of the rudest people I have ever met working in a hotel.

After checking in with my husband (who took some bags up to the room) I went to collect the rest of our luggage and asked the same man who was working behind the counter which room I was in as my husband had just popped up and left me with a room key card but no room number to which he replied that he wasn't going to tell me as I should have heard it when he told my husband and he was not going to let me go any further into the hotel!

Obviously I produced my room card and explained the room was booked under MY name and I could prove my identity he still refused to give me my room number. Consequently I rang my husband who told me the room details to which the man proceeded to ignore me and wave me on. I then with no help from him managed to navigate my way around the hotel trying to find our room.

This man's customer service was absolutely abhorrent, he was incredibly snobbish, rude and unwelcoming to many of the guests and on discussion with one another we all seemed to encounter a similar problem with him. I neglected to mention that the man in question also after 'allowing' me up to my room refused to give me any details regarding check out, breakfast timings or details about the room and stated there were detailed 'around reception'

The room itself was ok, not great, the furnishings were quite old but the room was comfortable and clean, as we only need it for one night and it was late it was fine. Luckily the man in question had finished his shift as we checked out, but he really was incredibly unpleasant, especially as all the other staff we very polite, friendly and courteous including the check out man on duty who was very helpful.

I really hope that this man will undergo some further training, however I doubt this will help as I do think he seemed to hate his job and having to deal with customers. I appreciate it was late, but I've checked into many hotels after weddings/events past midnight and find the attitude of the staff no different from the day staff.

If I were you, I'd get rid of this man, he is letting down the hotel's reputation and unfortunately as he is the first person you encounter as you enter the hotel your mood is already soured before you get to your room- providing he gives you the details of it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
SPHGC, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for writing your review. I profusely apologise for the lack of customer service your received from one member of my team, and I can assure you that I will be addressing directly with them appropriately. In the meantime please be assured that this is not the high level of staff that other members of the team are more than happy to deliver to our guests and I do hope that you will visit us again in the future to experience this.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Booked this hotel about 6 months in advance for a very close friend's wedding down the road. Due to the timings of the wedding we were unable to check in until we returned from the venue after the wedding. I appreciate it is not fun being on the late shift on the reception desk but the job is no different to what the staff in the daytime do so was appalled at the rude, incompetent and less than corteous staff member on the desk (from some of the other reviews here, we were not the only one to encounter him).
Earlier in the day we had heard from one of the other guests who had checked in at the hotel that although she had also booked a considerable time in advance she was place in a hot and stuffy basement room and had to asked to be relocated. So when checking in, I asked the receptionist if he knew which floor I was on and got a glare and a curt "I haven't checked you in yet". When I explained what I had heard and requested that I please not be put in a basement room I got another sneer and a "we don't have basement rooms in this hotel". I'm not into padantics but Lower Ground is as good as a Basement to me...
I got further attitude because I couldn't produce a credit card for the room and another curt "well you will have to pay upfront then" - seeing as I was checking out the next morning this was not an issue with me so why I was being treated like a pauper was beyond me. In this day and age I would have thought that credit cards were a bad idea anyway...
The receptionist was also exceptionally rude to another friend of mine - to the point I had to cut in. When he realised he was in the wrong he didn't offer an apology but continued to sneer and look down his nose at us.

When we finally made it to our room I suddenly realised that in addition to the rudeness and icy welcome we'd recieved at the front desk we also hadn't been given any basic information I would expect at check-in. I had to then traipse all the way back to reception as the phone in the room had all the markings on the buttons rubbed off and after taking a few guesses at what the reception number may be - because there was no indication anywhere - there was no answer at the other end. I was then confronted by the same man - I asked if breakfast was included with our room, what time breakfast ran until and what time check-out was. He couldn't even muster up the energy to inform me of the breakfast times and vaguely pointed to a board with the said information.

Seeing as we had a very short stay at this hotel, it was completely marred by the unpleasant encounter waiting for us after an absolutely fantastic wedding of one of our closest friends. I was disgusted and it made me feel awful at the end of what was a joyous occassion.
Our experience was reinforced when speaking to another guest in the bar area (who were not one of our party) who was also appalled at the behaviour by the receptionist towards him and described him as "snooty".

Unfortunately the room didn't make up for any of the nonsense we'd had to endure at check-in - it was in desperate need of a refresh as all the fittings and furnishings could not have been from any later than the early 1990's. The only good thing about the room was size of the bed, which was enormous. This hotel was definitely more than overpriced for what we got and I wouldn't have given it any more than a 2 star rating - I have stayed in B&B's for half the price and have been some of the best experiences I have had.

A complete and utter disappointment.

On checking out the following morning I did have a word to the duty manager about the terrible customer facing receptionist from the night before and I truely home that amends will be made to educate him in his role (personally, I would sack him as there are probably plenty of friendly receptions who could do his job more diligently and with more friendliness) - others manage to do the same job with a cheery dispostition so just because you have the graveyard shift it doesn't entitle you to behave any differently.

Room Tip: Avoid Lower Ground (or Basement!) rooms in the warmer months as could be hot and stuffy.
2 Thank FunSeekerHG
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your stay with us at Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club.. Please accept my sincere apologies for in shortcoming of service you received from any member of staff, and I can assure you that upon speaking with my Duty Manager, this issue is being addressed by the relevant Manager in addition to my HR Director carrying out appropriate training with relevant team members. I would like to thank you for bringing this to our attention as our guests feedback is invaluable and allows us to address guests concerns to ensure they do no reoccur.
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We were in one of the LG rooms, which another reviewer complained about, but I found the room fine, quiet with a lovely view and opening windows. I liked the fact that we could access the parkland at the back through a nearby exit without walking for miles back to Reception. Fabulous huge bed, good quality, with nice linen. The duvet was 10.5 tog (in summer!) so I took it out and we slept under the duvet cover, which was fine.
We ate in the restaurant and both had fish which was very good but small portions. The catch of the day was better value than the salmon from the menu, but both were beautifully presented. Make a reservation for the restaurant if you intend to eat there. Breakfast was fab, looking out over the grounds: eggs & porridge cooked to order if required, plus help-yourself full English, fruit, pastries, cereals & yogurt, and the breakfast staff seem to have been chosen for their cheeriness, which was a bonus, and no music, another bonus.
To address the issues raised by the other reviewer – we were there on a hot day and the towel rail did heat up the room, but shutting the bathroom door and opening the window sorted that one out, and I did like the warm bathroom in the morning. Besides wall lights there was a central hanging light which didn’t seem to have a switch and was quite low; someone over 6ft would have to watch to avoid it, but it was fine once you were sitting down or in bed. (The ceilings in this part of the hotel, I would imagine, are all quite low.) The reading lamps by the bed were a bit hopeless. I liked the bathroom décor – Edwardian-style, which was in keeping with the age and style of the hotel, and very clean.
In a large and old building like this there are bound to be variations between rooms, so ask for another one if you don’t like what you’re first offered. I asked about the difference between ‘standard’ and ‘executive’ and was told that it was size of bed and view. The grounds seem to stretch to the horizon all around (an illusion) and the golf courses looked top-notch, and it was hard to imagine that you were on the edge of Croydon.
No doubt this building requires a vast amount of upkeep, and in places it did feel that corners had been cut, but we didn’t pay a fortune – not much more than a b&b - I’m very glad we chose this place. I liked it!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It is lovely to read your comments regarding the extensive grounds and golf course that we are able to offer our guests. I confirm all of our rooms are different, sizes, shapes and layouts due to the age/history of the building and i am pleased that you enjoyed the facilities and services provided in your room. On behalf of the Team and myself we look forward to welcoming you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Great value with good golf course and spa. Sparkling wine in room on arrival which was nice touch. Room overlooked golf course and the golf staff were very flexible over tee times due to inclement weather. Dinner menu was a little disappointing but overall had lovely weekend break.

• Stayed March 2013
SPHGC, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It is great to hear you had a lovely stay and were able to enjoy the golf course and leisure facilities we have to offer our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.
Suffolk
Reviewed June 17, 2013

The hotel has certainly had better times but you can get some very good value deals and I think it depends on what you are looking for and maybe a bit of luck too. I wanted a value stop over outside Croydon centre on the south side and for £60 had a decent enough room where everything worked, easy parking and just time for a swim and a sauna. I was not unhappy but I was not seeking the plush luxury of its sister hotel in Cardiff and I don't like the Travelodge style hotels. I was not eating in the hotel but I confess I didn't like the look of the bar when passed by as it was full of male golfers. Would I return, probably yes but unusually I do look for more out of my stays. No bottled water in the room, old style TV, no safe or fridge and no A/C but a comfy firm bed.

Room Tip: Some rooms are a very long walk from reception and some lift door not easy to open so I would be war...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I am pleased that you were happy with the facilities we have to offer at Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club. Please be assured that I will be reviewing your constructive comments with my Quality Wins Teams which allows us to continually monitor the high standards we strive to deliver. Once again thank you for your feedback.