“If your here on a conference beware”

De Vere Selsdon Estate
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
London, United Kingdom
“If your here on a conference beware”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I've done my fair bit of travelling and i know what to expect from a 4 star hotel in the UK. This venue takes advantage of the fact that a lot of people here are on corporate events. Having looked at their website, if you organise or provide training during the visit they give you a nice room, if you don't good luck. My room was a long way from the main hotel through small stuffy corridors with tired decor. The room is not furnished to a high standard like the web site says. The best furniture looks like it has come from a charity shop, the worst, looking very tired, looks like its come out of a skip. The room is tired and the layout does not work, the bedside light and switch being on the opposite wall to the bed. The bathroom does not look like it has been renovated since the 1980's and is very tired and as such appears dirty and messy. Its horribly dirty too with cleaning being superficial and sub standard. There is black mold and the lights in the bathroom are covered by dust. I have not gone round looking for problems and these are obvious and shows a certain level of content for some delegates on courses.Mugs in the room are dirty too even when replaced with 'clean' I don't think that if i was in charge of coming back for training i would accommodated in this room.

The bottom line is some of the rooms are not up to scratch and the hotel appears to be taking advantage of delegates whom are not paying for the accommodation and so providing sub standard facilities to them. The food is not much better with items regularly under cooked. There are often huge cues for food and this often runs out quickly so you have to get in quick or you will miss out on some items. It is poor that they do not replace items when it is clear there are more people who have not eaten. Service is not much better, staff are good at saying hello in the hall but thats about it. you expect more than one person serving drinks at breakfast and having to wait for over 30 mins for a drink. if they are so busy why not have some self service machines? I also had the misfortune of some of there serving counter falling onto my foot, as it was broken and loose, rather than asking if i was ok, staff just said 'oh be careful sir'. Great service there!! Not. Oh and a few days later it was still like that and still falling on people. Do they simply not care about guests welfare, do they not understand that heavy pieces of wood falling on guests could injure someone? Is it more of case we will leave it until something really bad happens? What makes it worse is give 10 mins and some screws and i could make it safe, its not difficult.

I was seriously not impressed it has put a sour note on the team building that i attended here. The stupid thing from Principal Hayleys point of view is that some people on these courses that are accommodated in sub standard rooms actually control training budgets and look for potential venues to use in the future. Indeed the website made me think to use a PH venue for future trainings. My experience here means that I will not be coming back and I will be advising colleagues to look to other venues instead. If you want to come on holiday here, ask for a room that is in the main building, clean, finished to a high standard and not down a maze of small stuffy corridors. Oh and check the sausages, they have a problem cooking them properly, even the burnt ones are still under cooked.

Room Tip: you don't get to choose!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank firsthand25
SPHGC, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Naturally i am disappointed that you felt we did not deliver the high standards we strive to maintain and I will be reviewing your comments with the relevant Manager Teams so that the issues you highlighted can be addressed immediately. In the meantime I can assure you that Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club do not allocate rooms to guests by preference of the reason for their stay with us, and it is our policy to offer the same quality and service to every guest with staying wih us, with guest welfare of course being paramount. We do of course endeavour to meet our guests expectations and i personally apologise for any shortcoming you experienced on this occasion.
Olivier Six, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sheerness, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed here a couple of years ago and had fantastic food and service, we stayed last Sunday and the place has changed so much. Luckily we had a deal with the evening meal included as the food was extremely expensive and nothing special we had to return both desserts as I was given rock hard chocolate brownies and my husband a sliver of cheese, the rind in fact. Room was adequate but the bathroom door had no handle and was closed by attaching the safety chain and therefore did not close. Spa had black tide mark around the swimming pool and is generally very dated.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
SPHGC, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It is disappointing that having enjoyed previous stays with us that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations and i would like to personally apologies for any shortcoming you experienced during your stay. Please assure that your feedback is valued and will be addressed by myself and team to ensure that we continue to deliver the high standards we strive to and I hope we will be able to welcome you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future to experience the improvements are making.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Met up with family here for a weekend get together. Upon arrival we were checked in by the reception manager who had appeared to forgotten his customer service training that is assuming he ever had any! The young man serving behind the bar did not appear to be enjoying his day at all and seemed put out that we were acctually bothering him to ask for some drinks. Whenever we went past reception other guests were complaining. To top it off one of our party stepped out of her shower into a puddle of sewage that had leaked from the leaking soil pipe of the toilet. She reported it to reception who sent up their maintenance man who told her that she should not have been put in the room as he had previously notified staff that the pipe was leaking! She was told they would move her to another room however when we returned about 5 hours later she was told the hotel was fully booked and had to wait over 20 minutes for the staff member to find her a room which fortunately they did just before midnight!
The only members of staff that appeared to know what they were doing was the lovely restaurant manager who was charming and friendly and another wonderful man, again very friendly, also working in the restaurant who showed us to our table at breakfast, they were the only two members of staff that we met that smiled and were polite.
There were no information booklets in the room regarding breakfast times, restaurant menu or any other helpful information that you would find in the most basic B & B's. There is a definite lacking of attention to detail in this establishment which is a pity because the building and grounds are spectacular. We got the distinct impression that the majority of the staff were unhappy in their work and this reflected in the attitudes towards guests.

Room Tip: If you do stay here ask for a room overlooking the golf course and find out if there are any functio...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank m s
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Whilst I am pleased to read that you were able to appreciate the character of the building and our grounds that we have to offer our guests at Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club, I am of course disappointed to read that the team did not exceed your expectations during you stay with us. I will of course be addressing the issues you have highlighted with the relevant Management Teams to identify ongoing training to ensure that the necessary improvement are impletmented.
Gilbert
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed at Seldson for two days. We were a family of four. The room was a very nice size. The views were incredible. The interior had wonderful old world charm. The breakfast was very nice although I would have preferred it to have a bit more heat on it. The beds were very comfortable. If I were to say that anything was less than desirable it would have to be the extremely poor signage at the road when driving up from the south. As well the very unbecoming portcullis at the entrance to the hotel. It resembled a hospital asylum entrance rather than the magnificent building behind it. Lastly, if I may also suggest under your website through driving directions or public transportation directions to your establishment. As for my refers, yes, I would and HAVE recommended this location to many of my fellow employees already. Thank you for your clean, comfortable accommodations.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will of course pass your comment on to the team where it will be welcomed and this allows me to monitor that the high standards we strive to are maintained. In the meantime thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.
Bristol
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We have just returned from the Selsdon Park Hotel after a weekend treat from our kids for our anniversary via Groupon. We stayed in an Executive room which was facing the golf course and had a beautiful bay window with stunning views. The weather was lovely and we were woken to sunshine filling the room. Bed was ultra comfortable and yes room needed maybe some updating but the whole atmosphere of hotel is lovely and staff very warm and friendly. John on reception was very helpful and booking in was very efficient.

On arrival we had a bottle of champagne delivered to the room and because of the weather and grounds, took this outside to drink on terrace which is big and lots of seats. As the sun moved so did we and we found ourselves outside the golf shop and No 1 Tee. We started chatting to some members and some of the staff. It turns out one of them was the General Manager Olivier Six and because we said it was our anniversary, he arranged for another bottle of champagne in our room and a glass each at dinner. How thoughtful! Little touches like this means alot and made the weekend more special.

A tip for breakfast is go earlier than 9.30. Was a bit chaotic and running out of food but staff were friendly and pleasant. So on the Sunday we got down for 8.30 and food was plentiful and we took our breakfast onto the terrace to eat in the sun which was lovely.

We went into London on Saturday and wernt too sure whether to drive or how to get there but reception advised us to catch a train from East Croyden station to Victoria and then get tubes. So we got a taxi from hotel which was £11 and then a travelcard for £8.40 each. We got straight on a train which took 15 minutes to get to Victoria and then straight onto the tube. We ended up at the Dominion theatre where our daughter had booked 'We Will Rock U' tickets and watched a fab show with standing ovation. The journey then back to hotel was a little over half an hour. Very efficient and very quick.

So yes the hotel is a little tierd but we were told it is due for refurbishment. But then the price we paid reflects that and I would think will be much more expensive in the future when refurbishment complete. What we had for the £ was extremely good value with beautiful views, a hotel full of character and lovely staff. We thoroughly enjoyed our weekend and would return.

Room Tip: Facing golf course (we had room 138)
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and of course that I was able to meet with you. Both I and the whole team endeavour to deliver a high standard of service to our guests and of course it i wonderful to hear that the small touches are appreciated also. In the meantime thank you so much for your comments which I will of course share with the team and we look forward to welcoming you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed at the Selsdon Park Hotel with a deal from Groupon. For £90 had B&B in an executive room plus a two course evening meal with a glass of bubbly. Had a very pleasant stay, the room was a good size and had everything you need. It was a little bit tired in places but I've stayed in a lot worse which have cost a lot more.
The only disappointing thing was the evening meal. It was edible but wouldn't recommend it. As it was included in the price it was OK but it would have cost around £45 for the two of us and it's definitely not worth that sort of money.
However, the breakfast was good and I didn't find the bar prices bad as some people have complained about on here. I suppose it depends where you live but they were only the same price as you pay in central London so for a hotel I don't think that's unreasonable.
The staff were always helpful and friendly and as long as you are not expecting a top end experience I think you'll have a pleasant stay.

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that my team were friendly and helpful throughout your stay. I will of course be reviewing your feedback with my Food & Beverages Manager to identify any improvements we can implement to enhance our guests experience. In the meantime thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.
Agay, France
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Very nice old style hotel.This was my first stay in this hotel. It's location was reasonably convienient for a golf player. When we checked in I asked for a room overlooking the golf course, my room was so far the restaurant. Breakfast buffet was very nice

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Tigrenbois
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your first stay with us at Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club and we look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again in the future.