I've done my fair bit of travelling and i know what to expect from a 4 star hotel in the UK. This venue takes advantage of the fact that a lot of people here are on corporate events. Having looked at their website, if you organise or provide training during the visit they give you a nice room, if you don't good luck. My room was a long way from the main hotel through small stuffy corridors with tired decor. The room is not furnished to a high standard like the web site says. The best furniture looks like it has come from a charity shop, the worst, looking very tired, looks like its come out of a skip. The room is tired and the layout does not work, the bedside light and switch being on the opposite wall to the bed. The bathroom does not look like it has been renovated since the 1980's and is very tired and as such appears dirty and messy. Its horribly dirty too with cleaning being superficial and sub standard. There is black mold and the lights in the bathroom are covered by dust. I have not gone round looking for problems and these are obvious and shows a certain level of content for some delegates on courses.Mugs in the room are dirty too even when replaced with 'clean' I don't think that if i was in charge of coming back for training i would accommodated in this room.
The bottom line is some of the rooms are not up to scratch and the hotel appears to be taking advantage of delegates whom are not paying for the accommodation and so providing sub standard facilities to them. The food is not much better with items regularly under cooked. There are often huge cues for food and this often runs out quickly so you have to get in quick or you will miss out on some items. It is poor that they do not replace items when it is clear there are more people who have not eaten. Service is not much better, staff are good at saying hello in the hall but thats about it. you expect more than one person serving drinks at breakfast and having to wait for over 30 mins for a drink. if they are so busy why not have some self service machines? I also had the misfortune of some of there serving counter falling onto my foot, as it was broken and loose, rather than asking if i was ok, staff just said 'oh be careful sir'. Great service there!! Not. Oh and a few days later it was still like that and still falling on people. Do they simply not care about guests welfare, do they not understand that heavy pieces of wood falling on guests could injure someone? Is it more of case we will leave it until something really bad happens? What makes it worse is give 10 mins and some screws and i could make it safe, its not difficult.
I was seriously not impressed it has put a sour note on the team building that i attended here. The stupid thing from Principal Hayleys point of view is that some people on these courses that are accommodated in sub standard rooms actually control training budgets and look for potential venues to use in the future. Indeed the website made me think to use a PH venue for future trainings. My experience here means that I will not be coming back and I will be advising colleagues to look to other venues instead. If you want to come on holiday here, ask for a room that is in the main building, clean, finished to a high standard and not down a maze of small stuffy corridors. Oh and check the sausages, they have a problem cooking them properly, even the burnt ones are still under cooked.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Et in 200 acres of beautiful Surrey countryside, De Vere Selsdon Estate is an historic country mansion with an 18 hole championship golf course, luxury beauty treatment rooms and well-appointed leisure club. Perfect for large scale business events in the area as well as romantic weddings, this picturesque setting also features extensive grounds ideal for outdoor team-building and celebrations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotwire, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon and Hotel.de so you can book your De Vere Selsdon Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Selsdon Park & Golf Course Hotel Croydon
- Selsdon Park And Golf Course
- Selsdon Park Hotel Course
- Selsdon Park Croydon