“Impressive hotel but sadly accomdation and service let it down.”

De Vere Selsdon Estate
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Impressive hotel but sadly accomdation and service let it down.”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights for our son's wedding. On the entering our room we were impressed, but sadly it started to go down hill then. We had a ironing board but no iron, there was no water coming out of the hot water tap in the basin, and as for the shower it just did not work.

We were in an executive room, so you do expect the simple things in life, like water coming out of a tap and for the shower to work.

It seems the heated towel rail also supplied the hot water to the bath, as when you filled up the bath (which l might add takes forever to fill) then the towel rail would start to rumble away all night and day. We complained on our first night (Friday) and we assured that someone would come and deal with the issues, but when we checked out on the Sunday, these still had not been dealt with.

I made a complaint to the duty manager on the Sunday morning, and was promised a telephone call, but as yet l still have not received a call.

Other members of our family also had problems with their rooms, one even had to have their door taken off its hinges and it would not shut. Some of the stair carpets have sticky tape on them were they are thread bear.

This hotel needs a serious make over to bring it up to the prices they charge for their rooms.

The view from our room was fab, we over looked the golf course, but for the prices of the rooms, l don't think they are worth their money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
SPHGC, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
It was frustrating to read that you experienced issues with the water supply in the room you occupied and please be assured that this has been addressed by my Maintenance Team. I would also like to confirm that I believe that we have been in direct contact with yourself and other family members since your visit to discuss and address your feedback in detail. In addition to this we will of course be passing all feedback recieved onto our Quality Wins Team for review to identify any improvements in the service and facilities we are able to offer. In the meantime thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club.
Olivier Six, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (574)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Finding the turn into the hotel can be interesting if you approach from the west by car. The hotel is imposing, there is ample parking and reception staff were helpful and courteous. My room was average with some dodgy plumbing. We ate in the bar and the food was satisfactory. There is a bit of a faded glory feel to the hotel but the breakfast was good with plenty of coffee and extras to supplement the full English. We had our meeting in the Selsdon Room along with the memories of Ted Heath and Maggie Thatcher. The meeting was extremely well catered for in the special buffet area. Would recommend for a business meeting but I suspect a stop will be subject to the quality of the room you're given.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
SPHGC, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I am pleased that your stay with us for buiness was pleasant althought it was frustrating to hear that you experienced an issue with the plumbing in your room. I would like to thank you for your constructive comments which allow me to continually monitor that the high standards we strive to are delivered and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I recently attended a close friends wedding at Selsdon Park and I have to say I was extremely disappointed. My wife and I checked in only to find our room was the size of an airing cupboard and was modelled on a 1950's hotel room with a TV from the same era. The room wasnt the cleanest with the base of the bed separated when you laid on it. Upon making my complaints known to reception I was kindly upgraded, the room was much bigger but was still very dated and noisy. The room was an easy 10 minute walk from reception and on 6 separate occasions my room key stopped working.

The 'residents' bar is extremely over priced and under staffed with a pint of Peroni coming at £5.00 and a vodka lemonade exceeding that. The bar was extremely busy with 2 wedding parties, 2 birthday parties and numerous golfing breaks yet there were only 2 members of staff behind the bar. During the function the bar had limited stock, did not take credit card and only had 1 bar man for 150 guests. The dining room was underwhelming and the breakfast buffet resembled a school dinner hall.

The venue exterior is beautiful and really captures your eye when driving up but that is where it ended for me.

Room Tip: I'm not sure there are any but I would look to book a suite if financially viable as the standar...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am naturally disappointed that your room did not meet your expectations regarding its decor and I will be reviewing this with the Quality Wins Team. Whilst I understand you felt the bar prices were expensive, I can confirm that these are in keeping with local similar establishments and other hotels. It is also important to consider when attending a function, that whilst we offer a dedicated bar in the room itself that sometimes the items on offer are in keeping with the organisers wishes and that we also of course still offer a full range of products at the main bar. Once again thank you for your feedback which I of course will pass to my Management Team to identify any improvements in the service and facilities we offer.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Tuesday 16-4-13 at 15.00

I did not stay , however I entertained a four ball on the very well maintained golf course.
After we entered the hotel to have a drink in the temple bar, the shutters were down so I went to the reception to request a waiter to come and take our order for drinks and a snack. After waiting 15 minutes I went back to reception and again was told he will call the waiter , I waited another 30 minutes and decided to leave. On my way out I informed the reception that no one came and the young blonde lady and the young man who was training apologised and informed me the hotel is short staffed. I request the hotel managers name and a older receptionist with black hair told the young trainee to write the managers name on a comp slip while pointing and dismissing me. He did not even apologise , in fact he was very unhelpful and lacked any customer service. Obviously the hotel makes so much money and did not require my table of four on this day for lunch and drinks. I will return to play golf , however I am not too sure of the hotel.
It is a shame as the hotel has so much potential.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I sincerely apologise that the service you experienced was not to our typically high standard and for the shortcoming you experienced when speaking to reception. Please be assured that I will be identifying with the Management Team further ongoing training for newer team members and personally will be addressing customer service standards to ensure a great service is delivered at all times. In the meantime please once again accept my apologies and I do hope that having enjoyed the golf course we have to offer that we will be able to welcome you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my fiancee and parents as a base for a nearby wedding. Our experience was enjoyable, yet the hotel itself could do with some work.

The exterior is incredibly impressive. The drive up the entrance to the hotel grounds unveils a spectacular building, which lives up to the hotel star-rating. The grounds are well kept and the golf course adds a beautiful back garden to the property.

The foyet is also impressive, with chandeliers decorating the ceilings. Here you will find helpful staff and a friendly, positive attitude from the front desk.

However, here is also where the pleasing aesthetics end. The lift, to begin with, is worn out. The doors are like hundredweights and I could not imagine how anybody of any old age or ailment could even open them. The rooms are creaky, generally rather tatty and run-down. They are clean in terms of upkeep, but in drastic need of a refresh.

Overall, our stay was pleasant yet a little underwhelming given the impression of the beautiful surroundings.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am pleased to read that overall your stay with us was pleasant, and that you enjoyed the building and grounds and the cleanliness of your room was to our expected standards. Please be assured though that I will pass your comments and feedback onto my Quality Wins team for review so that we may make any necessary improvements to enhance our guests stay.
Once again thank you for you feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have just returned from spending a weekend at this hotel for my cousins hen spa weekend there were 12 of us and every single one of us only had good things to say about our stay.
The service at dinner was great & food was delicious! We were lucky enough to be allowed in a charity ball that the hotel were holding on Saturday night & it really topped the night off having a little boogie!
We all had use of the spa facilities & all enjoyed a 60min full body massage on Sunday which was heavenly!! We then got to use the pool, sauna, steam room & jacuzzi for the duration of our stay.
Pool area was very clean and staff were more than happy to help serve food and drinks while we chilled round the pool.
All in all we were very impressed with our stay & will be returning to enjoy another spa weekend the weekend after I get married in August!!
Thanks for a great stay Selsdon Park!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank lauren b
SPHGC, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It is great to read that you and your party had such an enjoyable stay. Please be assured I will pass your feedback on to the team and we look forward to being able to welcome you all back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.
United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Well where do I start ? I have just returned from a night away at this fabulous hotel with friends and family ! We were all really impressed by the friendly staff, the excellent service, the amazing food and the first class accommodation !! It was my husbands birthday and I really wanted a restful break for everyone ! We didn't stop laughing all weekend and enjoyed a little banter with the two young men that waited on our table Saturday evening ( particularly the Irish lad who was fantastic ) The pool was relaxing and so too the jacuzzi and steam room ! Would like to say a big Thankyou to all the staff from all the Geal party, you made our weekend and we WILL return !!!

Room Tip: Rooms on south side have amazing views !!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
SPHGC, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable weekend and that were able to enjoy the facilities and service we have to offer our guests. I will certainly pass your feedback on to the relevant teams where it will be warmly welcomed in addition to our Quality Wins Team who ensure that the high standards we strive to are being delivered. In the meantime thank you once again for your lovely feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.