“Really quite disgusting. Mouldy showers and windows”

De Vere Selsdon Estate
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
“Really quite disgusting. Mouldy showers and windows”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This hotel is a complete shambles. The service was terrible, the rooms lacked hygiene, I even found a slug in my room. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. It's more like a half way house. I can't emphasis the poorness of this hotel. Utterly disgusting.

• Stayed March 2013
SPHGC, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I would like to sincerely apologise for any upset caused you by the level of service received during your stay. I will be addressing the issues you have highlighted with the relevant Department Mangers to ensure that the necessary action is taken to ensure this remains an isolated incident
Once again thank you for your feedback which allows me to monitor the service and standards we deliver.
Olivier Six, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Selsdon Park Hotel may look like a stunning from the outside, however scratch the surface and this is a hotel tired with appalling service and absolutely no customer service...let me back those statements up.....
So lets start; I live in Australia, I was coming over to London/Croydon as a very close family member was getting married, and I was making arrangements to be there as a total surprise for their wedding...
I booked online - no problem, I spoke to the wedding co-ordinators ,got myself in on the wedding, expressed in absolute terms that this was to remain a secret- no problem, at least that's what I thought....With 2 weeks to go, the groom was called and basically told that I had booked a room.....So I am flying 13.500 kms and this surprise has been ruined....I have complained to the wedding co-ordinators right through to the GM of the Hotel and to this day, I have not had an answer, nor an apology.....that's shambolic in itself....
But there is more !!!

So as I said, I booked online, turned up to the hotel, and an incompetent guy at reservations/customer service called John only to be told that there were no rooms....he found one and then tried to charge me again, even though all the while I was telling him I had pre booked and paid for a room, it was only when a supervisor came over and told him to look at the screen in front of him properly did he realise that I had booked, and I had already paid !!!!
So he then gives me a room key...which was Lower Ground, I went in to the room, there was a loud humming from a generator nearby, the decor is old, dated, hell they have really old TV's and 6 free channels....carpets are pulled up, generally it's very dated and shabby.....well you couldn't sleep in the room it was just too noisy, I went to the reservations desk, asked for a different room and quite easily found me another one on the second floor....so why was I given such a terrible room in the first place ?

So as you can read, it was an utter disaster, the hotel needs a major facelift, staff need training, customer service doesn't exist and I still have not had any apology from the terrible cock up made by them telling the groom I was attending the wedding.....

Please do not stay at this place, do not have any function at this hotel, you will only be annoyed and let down.,...years ago this was the hotel amongst hotels, now it's run by Basil Fawlty and there is no love in it and certainly no desire to move with the times or at least make the rooms remotely updated....

I will never stay there again and will write this piece on every review website I can find....

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Steve A
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am naturally upset to read that a member of my team caused any upset or distress to you expecially having had a request for your visit to remain a surprise to the Wedding Couple. I profusely apologise for this and any shortcoming on behalf of my team. Many weddings have rooms allocated as requested for guests to book and couples often contact the hotel to see how many are still available from the number allocated and may even have spoken with reservations, although I can not confirm this without investigation it future. it is frustrating to hear that your plans were spoilt in any way and i would like to confirm that whilst you may have given your feedback to the Wedding Co-ordinator that I have to date not personally received any correspondence or feedback from you directly. I do of course endeavour to address all the feedback received and in light of the issues you experienced I can assure this will be addressed with the Team appropriately. With regards to your experience at check in - I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience and having identified John as your receptionist I can confirm that John is a newer member of team and is currently still undergoing training with us. All of our Trainees wear badges to identify this and i apologise if in this instance it was not clear and that a supervisor had assist with the procedure. Once again I apologise for any shortcoming you experienced on this occasion and I will personally ensure that any retraining is identified to ensure this remains an isolated incident.
north west
Reviewed March 18, 2013

The hotel is beautiful. Commuunal areas are very tidy. The stained glass windows, elaborate ceilings and wooden panelling all add to the atmosphere. The staff were efficient. No problems at check in.

Bar lounge is small for the size of the hotel. We ate there as we had arrived at the hotel quite late. Needs more tables to eat at. The settees are nice but not condusive to eating a meal (suppose sandwiches would be OK). The food is expensive (or maybe its just us northerners that aren't used to southern prices).

The room was very small but adequate. The bed was tiny. We have paid less for rooms recently and had king sized bed. The strange thing about the bed was the quilt! It appeared to be a 3/4 (or even single) duvet with a double cover on it, so even if no one was in the bed to duvet inside fell short of the edges of the bed by a good 6" or more with the duvet cover flapping over the edge of the bed.

We had a wonderful (?)view out the back of the hotel, so as with other reviews we fell foul of the bottles being emptied into whatever they are emptied into and staff having end of shift conversations at the "back door" at silly o'clock in the morning.

Breakfast was OK. The scrambled eggs were a bit bland. There was a good choice, but my husband does like his meusli in a morning & commented that it was the first hotel he has stayed in where it was not offered. Just another small point re breakfast - where were the mushrooms?

Contrary to other reviews we found the hotel clean and tidy.

Considering we have had such a cold spell the room was very warm which was strange because the radiator was not on.

Room Tip: Do not accept any rooms on LG (or at least the ones on the left hand side as you go down the corrido...
1 Thank roversrus
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I am pleased that overall the service that we delivered was satisfactory. I have of course carefully noted your feedback entirely and will be addressing any issue you have kindly highlighted with our Quality Wins Team. In the meantime that you again for your constructive comments and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I took a two nights stay from Groupon, me and my husband we are very pleased from our stay there, the hotel is located in a very beautiful place cut off from the residential areas. they gave us an executive and beautiful room with a very big bed and with a nice view. The only negative thing of the room it was a pipping problem in the bathroom. The hotel's interior is very cosy, nice and warm.
the restaurant is nice as well but we weren't very satisfied from the quality of the food so the second evening we dined in a wetherspoon pub only 5 minutes walk from there.
I enjoyed the spa treatments and the spa area was very good apart of the the steam room.
All the staff was very polite and they responded immediately for whatever we asked them.

2 Thank Efstratia K
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Whilst I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay I would like to apologise for any shortcoming you experienced whilst dining with us. I am delighted that my Team were swift and responsive to any request/feedback given during your stay and I do hope we are able to welcome you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We had our wedding reception at the selsdon park and it was the most amazing party ever great food and excellent staff. We didn't want to leave we had 106 guest and not one of them complained and most of them stayed getting back to the staff from the bar staff to the management everyone was polite helpful friendly
This hotel made our wedding and we are very happy we booked it here well done and thank you

Room Tip: Room 119 is a good size room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Donna B
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I am delighted that you chose to celebrate your Wedding with us here at Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club. It is wonderful read that you had such an enjoyable day. On behalf of my Team I would like to wish you both the very best for a long and happy future together, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I have just come back from a two night stay here with two of my girl friends. We wanted a relaxing girly break and that we got. On arrival the beautiful property is set back from the main road and you are instantly taken back by the greenery and trees. The building is magnificant, stunning interiors with a real burning fire place in reception. The reception staff were so very welcoming and kind. The service we recieved here was second to none. We'r given early check in kindly. We were walking around the building and got chatting to a lady who worked there, she kindly gave us a little tour and asked us what room we were staying in, we then went to the bar for food and the lovely gentleman at reception (with the dimples) came to advise us we had been upgraded to a large room so we didnt have to sleep in separate room and also if we required an extra bed they would add it in for us! Amazing! The food was amazing too! We went for walks in the lovely grounds, the pool, sauna, steam room & jacuzi are all of very good quality. We had three treatments each and they were so relaxing the beauty therapists are so lovely and the variety of treatments are fab! Would recommend the massage, body exfoliation and eye treatment. Want to make a special mention to the lovely lina who works at the bar, such a sweet hardworking girl. Also to the guy at reception with the dimples you were lovely and ur service aswell as smile were great! Thankyou richard for helping us with our suitcases when we were leaving! This place is great for a mate getaway for couples or for weddings! The staff here each and everyone of them are a credit to the place! We shall be back!

• Stayed March 2013
6 Thank Sandybains
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations and I can assure you your feedback will be passed to our Quality Wins team where I am sure your comments will be welcomed. Naturally I am pleased that all of the team were helpful, friendly and professional throughout your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

After reading some pretty bad reviews on this hotel, I stayed on a Saturday night. Booked through an agent and found out it would have been cheaper by booking direct.
The room was very nice (114) except as the bed was against the wall with a corridor on the other side so the odd bit of noise from people using the corridor, and the sound of a lift was a little disconcerting. The room and the bed was very comfortable and the shower was great! The room was a little warm but a window made it a little cooler.
We had a Pizza in the bar and it was not the best Pizza we ever had, the barman was a little offhand but not rude. The pool area was stifling hot but we did not use the pool.
The staff were on the whole were friendly although a little officious,
The breakfast was superb and we were treated to some old fashioned excellent service from Ruby, one of the more mature waitresses, with a friendly and respectful welcome, Karim the manager of the restaurant was excellent and although we were late,made sure we had everything we wanted for breakfast,
The view from the breakfast room was magnificent looking over the Golf course.
We will stay there again but perhaps not on a weekend when it gets quite busy.

Room Tip: try and get a room overlooking the back of the hotel.
8 Thank RobertRaw
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I would like to apologise for any shortcoming you experienced and I will be addressing any issues raised appropriately with the relevant Heads of Department so that we may identify any retraining or improvements to enhance our guests experience. Once again thank you for your constructive comments and we look forward to welcoming back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.