De Vere Selsdon Estate
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Chez Vous Rooms(Warlingham)
  • Bar/Lounge
2,402 results
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 24, 2013

They don't get much worse than this place

Stayed here as part of a conference in 2012. Had two nights to endure – couldn’t wait to get out of the place. It’s clear the building was once a very impressive country house, and it may have even been a lovely hotel - at one time. However, those days are as faded as the carpet, and as far away as the looks in the eyes of the staff, who don’t even bother to pretend they give a damn.

Room? Filthy. I mean really filthy. There was a very happy spider (see pics) that had taken up residence in the bathroom – it was clear he’d been there for a long time... judging by the faeces and arachnid detritus collected beneath him. Maybe spiders are attracted to broken tiles, mouldy grout and dirty floors? Oh yes – there was a discarded wrapper (from a personal hygiene type product) under the toilet from a previous guest – the guest was definitely female given the nature of the wrapper.

I tried complaining at the time, and in the days that followed, but was greeted with utter contempt by the staff and management.

Should you go near this place? No!

Room Tip: Best rooms are in any other hotel you can find.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
SPHGC, Management Administrator at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I would like to take this opportunity to apologise on behalf of the Management Team that the cleaning in the room you occupied was not to the highest standard expected, and my Housekeeping team have been asked to remove all spiders (when visible) and of course check high windows thoroughly. In the meantime I would like to thank you for your comments which I am able to share with team enabling us to address any improvements to the service we deliver.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We had a 1 night deal through groupon which included breakfast and a round of golf or massage. The hotel itself is nice, and the room we had was the edward heath suite which was lovely. The bar prices are pretty high, but usual for hotel bars. The 2nd room in our party was freezing but reception provided us with extra heaters. The breakfast was pretty poor, i would have been dissapointed if i paid extra for it. The main problem we had was that we had booked the treatments, but they had no record, and also said they could not accomodate our requests. So we spoke to the manager and she agreed to send us vouchers to use another time as it's close to our home. i then found out that the gold didn't have our booking either, so confused what they're actually doing there. I would stay again, but would never pay full price. I have stayed before in sub standard rooms also, so i think it is luck of the draw.

Room Tip: get an executive or club room, it makes lall the difference
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank The_Dootch
SPHGC, Management Administrator at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write our review.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, however frustrated that we did not have the bookings recorded for your treatment and golf. Of course I will ensure that these are available at an alternative time for you, and will be speaking with the relevant Managerment Team so that this can be addressed with those concerns. In the meantime thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

After buying a groupon for a two night stay , I checked the reviews here and was quite worried. However, me and my partner had a lovely stay at this hotel.The room we had was beautiful and overlooked the grounds. The restaurant was very busy on our first night and we had to wait a short while for a table but as we hadn't booked, we didn't mind and the staff were very apologetic. The food was very good and service quick.

This is not a 5 star hotel, but we still had a lovely, relaxing weekend in the spa which was very nice. Not the most luxurious but nicely laid out, warm and with all the facilities you would expect. My only complaint was that one member of staff in the spa was chatting very loudly and making inappropriate jokes all morning which took away from the relaxing atmosphere. Otherwise, A very lovely experience.

The grounds were absolutely beautiful and the staff very accommodating. I would recommend this hotel for people who would like a relaxing weekend away but who don't want to pay through the nose for it.

Room Tip: I would recommend asking for a room in the west wing
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sarah K
SPHGC, Management Administrator at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club and had a relaxing time. I was delighted that you were able to enjoy our extensive grounds and and hotel facilities and I will ensure that your comments are passed to the relevant teams where they will be welcomed. In the meantime thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

I needed a hotel near Croydon for a recent business trip and was initially cautious about booking this hotel having read some of the reviews on this site. However, my experience was very positive indeed.

Despite the hotel being near to the London suburbs, it is sufficiently set back to avoid most noise and light pollution. The hotel was extremely quiet on the night I stayed, but there is plenty of parking available (including a large number of disabled spaces). I found the Reception area and decor in general to be good, the hotel being clean and tidy in the public areas. Reception staff very helpful, knowledgeable and check-in was smooth. I had a room on the second floor at the back of the building (which is in the roof). The view was over the gardens towards the hills (although it was dark when I arrived and dark when I left).

The room was an adequate size with a comfy bed. The bathroom was clean with a new shower curtain. My only 'complaints' with the room were that the TV is an older-style CRT screen so picture quality suffers and the tea and coffee tray could have benefited from the addition of some biscuits and bottled water, Very minor gripes, but overall, everything one needed.

I ate in the bar that night (the main restaurant was closed). Food choices were good and the quality was very high. The only thing I found odd (hence the title of this review) is that when I was brought my chicken curry, the waiter offered me some HP Brown Sauce..... Breakfast was also good - it was quiet so table service was offered. Again, choices very good and the full English was hot, well-cooked and fresh. Because of the low number of guests, there were plenty of staff, but all were very courteous.

Check-out smooth and again, staff friendly, courteous and helpful. All in all, a very positive experience and a hotel that I certainly use again should I have the misfortune of having to work in Croydon again....

Room Tip: When booking, I would suggest asking for a room at the back. The spa is an extension at the front of the building (not the most sympathetic addition) and i would suspect that it might be noisier than the back.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank SaintlySimon

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I was delighted to read that your stay at Selsdon Park Hotel was enjoyable and that you found all of the team to be helpful and friendly at all times. I was pleased to hear that the food met your expectations and I will of course pass your valued feedback onto the team where it will be welcomed. Once again thank you for your comments which enable us to monitor the high standards of service we strive to are delivered to our guests and we look forward to welcoming you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

My sister organised a weekend with my friends for my birthday and from the outset there were problems. Nobody communicates to each other at the hotel so the reception staff didn't know anything about group bookings and special offers. My sister was told to pre book the rooms under her name and then for my friends to secure their rooms with a phone call to the hotel, all 6 rooms had problems with reception staff not finding the pre booked room under my sisters name. Our room was ok, nothing special but the bathroom was old and tired and quite grubby. The radiator had to be turned on by the handy man
Breakfast was not that great, too few staff and took ages to get a cup of tea.
Dinner was for 8pm and we arrived in good time but waited until 8:35 for the starters to turn up. Again too few staff all with limited English, had to ask them to offer my guests drinks repeatedly throughout the evening. I had pre paid for bottled water to be served at the table but only realised towards the end that in fact we were being given tap water. The menus had to be organised before our stay and we made a point of telling the hotel that a vegetarian friend was allergic to the veggie option so it was arranged or her to have a different meal cooked, and what a surprise, the chef had forgotten to make it so she ended up having a bowl of pasta cooked for her while we ate our food, her £35 Christmas dinner was a bowl of pasta. What should have been a fun evening was spoilt by the staffs incompetence. We did phone and spoke to someone who said he was a manager we had to be insistent we were refunded for the bottled water which wasn't served. I also expected to be given a refund for my friend who had to eat pasta for her Christmas dinner, no chance, the manager said, oh well at least she got something" An evening totally spoilt and I would never go back again. Beware of big bookings the hotel is not up to it. I would expect more from a hotel of this calibre. Horrid.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank jackie C

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was frustrated to hear that you experienced some issues with your reservation as the Reservations Team are very experienced and competent in both individual and group bookings. I can confirm that this will be investigated further and addressed with the relevant parties.
I sincerely apologise if your expectations were not met whilst dining with us, and I can confirm that all bottles of water purchased are served unopened and are not refilled with tap water at any time unless tap water is requested. I have passed all of your comments to both the Head Executive Chef and Restuarant Manager for them to address the issues your have highighted as required, and once again I sincerely apologise that your stay did not meet your expectations. Your feedback is valued and will be reviewed at the next Management meeting to enable us to ensure that the high standards of service we strive to is delivered to our guests.