“A nice hotel, dependant on room”

De Vere Selsdon Estate
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We had a 1 night deal through groupon which included breakfast and a round of golf or massage. The hotel itself is nice, and the room we had was the edward heath suite which was lovely. The bar prices are pretty high, but usual for hotel bars. The 2nd room in our party was freezing but reception provided us with extra heaters. The breakfast was pretty poor, i would have been dissapointed if i paid extra for it. The main problem we had was that we had booked the treatments, but they had no record, and also said they could not accomodate our requests. So we spoke to the manager and she agreed to send us vouchers to use another time as it's close to our home. i then found out that the gold didn't have our booking either, so confused what they're actually doing there. I would stay again, but would never pay full price. I have stayed before in sub standard rooms also, so i think it is luck of the draw.

Room Tip: get an executive or club room, it makes lall the difference
1  Thank The_Dootch
SPHGC, Management Administrator at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write our review.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, however frustrated that we did not have the bookings recorded for your treatment and golf. Of course I will ensure that these are available at an alternative time for you, and will be speaking with the relevant Managerment Team so that this can be addressed with those concerns. In the meantime thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

After buying a groupon for a two night stay , I checked the reviews here and was quite worried. However, me and my partner had a lovely stay at this hotel.The room we had was beautiful and overlooked the grounds. The restaurant was very busy on our first night and we had to wait a short while for a table but as we hadn't booked, we didn't mind and the staff were very apologetic. The food was very good and service quick.

This is not a 5 star hotel, but we still had a lovely, relaxing weekend in the spa which was very nice. Not the most luxurious but nicely laid out, warm and with all the facilities you would expect. My only complaint was that one member of staff in the spa was chatting very loudly and making inappropriate jokes all morning which took away from the relaxing atmosphere. Otherwise, A very lovely experience.

The grounds were absolutely beautiful and the staff very accommodating. I would recommend this hotel for people who would like a relaxing weekend away but who don't want to pay through the nose for it.

Room Tip: I would recommend asking for a room in the west wing
3  Thank Sarah K
SPHGC, Management Administrator at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club and had a relaxing time. I was delighted that you were able to enjoy our extensive grounds and and hotel facilities and I will ensure that your comments are passed to the relevant teams where they will be welcomed. In the meantime thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

I needed a hotel near Croydon for a recent business trip and was initially cautious about booking this hotel having read some of the reviews on this site. However, my experience was very positive indeed.

Despite the hotel being near to the London suburbs, it is sufficiently set back to avoid most noise and light pollution. The hotel was extremely quiet on the night I stayed, but there is plenty of parking available (including a large number of disabled spaces). I found the Reception area and decor in general to be good, the hotel being clean and tidy in the public areas. Reception staff very helpful, knowledgeable and check-in was smooth. I had a room on the second floor at the back of the building (which is in the roof). The view was over the gardens towards the hills (although it was dark when I arrived and dark when I left).

The room was an adequate size with a comfy bed. The bathroom was clean with a new shower curtain. My only 'complaints' with the room were that the TV is an older-style CRT screen so picture quality suffers and the tea and coffee tray could have benefited from the addition of some biscuits and bottled water, Very minor gripes, but overall, everything one needed.

I ate in the bar that night (the main restaurant was closed). Food choices were good and the quality was very high. The only thing I found odd (hence the title of this review) is that when I was brought my chicken curry, the waiter offered me some HP Brown Sauce..... Breakfast was also good - it was quiet so table service was offered. Again, choices very good and the full English was hot, well-cooked and fresh. Because of the low number of guests, there were plenty of staff, but all were very courteous.

Check-out smooth and again, staff friendly, courteous and helpful. All in all, a very positive experience and a hotel that I certainly use again should I have the misfortune of having to work in Croydon again....

Room Tip: When booking, I would suggest asking for a room at the back. The spa is an extension at the front of...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank SaintlySimon

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I was delighted to read that your stay at Selsdon Park Hotel was enjoyable and that you found all of the team to be helpful and friendly at all times. I was pleased to hear that the food met your expectations and I will of course pass your valued feedback onto the team where it will be welcomed. Once again thank you for your comments which enable us to monitor the high standards of service we strive to are delivered to our guests and we look forward to welcoming you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

My sister organised a weekend with my friends for my birthday and from the outset there were problems. Nobody communicates to each other at the hotel so the reception staff didn't know anything about group bookings and special offers. My sister was told to pre book the rooms under her name and then for my friends to secure their rooms with a phone call to the hotel, all 6 rooms had problems with reception staff not finding the pre booked room under my sisters name. Our room was ok, nothing special but the bathroom was old and tired and quite grubby. The radiator had to be turned on by the handy man
Breakfast was not that great, too few staff and took ages to get a cup of tea.
Dinner was for 8pm and we arrived in good time but waited until 8:35 for the starters to turn up. Again too few staff all with limited English, had to ask them to offer my guests drinks repeatedly throughout the evening. I had pre paid for bottled water to be served at the table but only realised towards the end that in fact we were being given tap water. The menus had to be organised before our stay and we made a point of telling the hotel that a vegetarian friend was allergic to the veggie option so it was arranged or her to have a different meal cooked, and what a surprise, the chef had forgotten to make it so she ended up having a bowl of pasta cooked for her while we ate our food, her £35 Christmas dinner was a bowl of pasta. What should have been a fun evening was spoilt by the staffs incompetence. We did phone and spoke to someone who said he was a manager we had to be insistent we were refunded for the bottled water which wasn't served. I also expected to be given a refund for my friend who had to eat pasta for her Christmas dinner, no chance, the manager said, oh well at least she got something" An evening totally spoilt and I would never go back again. Beware of big bookings the hotel is not up to it. I would expect more from a hotel of this calibre. Horrid.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank jackie C

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was frustrated to hear that you experienced some issues with your reservation as the Reservations Team are very experienced and competent in both individual and group bookings. I can confirm that this will be investigated further and addressed with the relevant parties.
I sincerely apologise if your expectations were not met whilst dining with us, and I can confirm that all bottles of water purchased are served unopened and are not refilled with tap water at any time unless tap water is requested. I have passed all of your comments to both the Head Executive Chef and Restuarant Manager for them to address the issues your have highighted as required, and once again I sincerely apologise that your stay did not meet your expectations. Your feedback is valued and will be reviewed at the next Management meeting to enable us to ensure that the high standards of service we strive to is delivered to our guests.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

My partner and I booked the Selsdon Park hotel after reading about it on the internet, for a romantic getaway. This was NOT a Groupon booking. The images looked lovely and we were reassured by its 4* rating. In hindsight I wish I had looked on TripAdvisor first!

Upon checking in we went to look at our room. I have seen more space in a student flat, and the radiator valve was broken. We went to have our room changed and the receptionist obligingly booked us into a different room on the ground floor. Once again the radiator wasn't working, despite us leaving it on for 40minutes whilst we went for a drink. We advised reception and were told that it takes a while to heat up, but that they were happy to give us a heater, which we accepted. In addition, the tiles in the tiny bathroom had come out and were lying stacked next to the sink, adding to the air of abandonment of the place.

The food did not enhance our experience in the least! The menu was basic, and the starter of salmon that my partner ordered looked as though it had been taken out of a packet, dumped in the middle of the plate and had some rocket leaves added to it. There was no dressing or flavour to it at all. My onion soup was very thin and the crouton soggier than a wet dog in a lake! The main course was no better, roast chicken for him, which had the consistency of soaked cardboard, and my tortellini, whilst perfectly cooked was let down in flavour by the accompaniment of chunks of boiled tomato!

Unfortunately our waitress hardly spoke any English, and between us trying to explain what we wanted, and her stammered apologies that she kept getting it wrong, we decided there really was no point and just left.

We did not sleep at all the whole night, being crammed into a tiny double bed, with a mattress that dipped in the middle. The lack of regulated heating meant we were either too hot or too cold and there was no water provided in the room.

Breakfast was another soggy affair, in this case, the eggs. The breakfast room was clearly understaffed and we waited over half an hour before realising we would have to actually ask for our coffee, it would not be offered! The food kept running out and frazzled staff were frantically running up and down. It was a decidedly caravan-like atmosphere.

The next morning we had booked a Spa treatment, an aromatherapy massage. Now, I cannot fault the skill of the masseuse at all, she was excellent, however, the room was freezing when I got in and as a result I was shivering for the first part of the massage! The therapist tried her best with heated towels and eventually I relaxed.

I echo the sentiments of some of the other guests who have written reviews in stating that the rooms and the some of the public areas, especially the bar, are in sore need of an update and better spacial planning. As a designer I find it sad that such a beautiful building has been so let down by its interior. Yes, the spaces may be small, but a clever design and use of sympathetic materials could actually enhance them.

I strongly suggest that this hotel is revamped in terms of its decor and especially in terms of how it is run. This is not a 4* hotel at all, in fact, in certain aspects I would hesitate before awarding 3 stars! My partner and I feel quite cheated by the whole experience and would strongly advise anyone looking to understand what you are getting yourself into!

Room Tip: Do not get a double bed room unless you are both hobbits!
4  Thank Pudjkin

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Naturally I am disappointed to hear that your room was not to the standard expected and that we did not exceed your expectations in all area on this occasion. Please be assured that your feedback has been passed to the relevant Management Team for review and to be addressed appropriately.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

It was difficult to decide what rating to give, as I felt Poor was a bit harsh, but overall, as I'd never go back by choice, I could hardly score it as Average. So, poor it is.
My wife and I were there for two nights, as part of a large party celebrating a family wedding. I'll make no comment on the wedding arrangements (which we enjoyed), just our experience as hotel guests.
Good points: staff friendly; bed large and comfortable; food at serve-yourself breakfast plentiful. Beyond that, it's hard to be positive.
The room was an "executive", but I cant see what made it so, except for the large, queen-size bed - which basically filled the room, making it cramped. There was no mini-bar, there was a kettle and coffee, but no biscuits. Instead, there was a room service menu, whose prices were outrageous. There wasn't even any complimentary bottled water, which became an issue for us, as the rooms were stiflingly hot, and it was impossible to turn the radiator down or off. The only way to cool down was to open the windows, but we couldn't as most of the time there was a major rainstorm, and rain came into the room.
Executive room? the only way to access internet was by a plug in for a laptop, £4 per hour, or £12 per day. Outrageous. But why no wifi in the room? these days, its hardly unusual for most people to use smartphone or tablet. There was wifi in the public spaces, but only via a cumbersome login, which you had to re-do every time, and the signal was terrible. This is the 21st century!
The TV was out of the ark, no flat screen, just a great monster with a few channels.
Downstairs, the bar was like somehting I visied in the former soviet bloc before the wall came down. Big, barnlike, no atmosphere. And the leisure centre opened off it, so while having a quiet drink, we had people from the gym walking through us, clad in sweaty lycra. The prices in the bar were very high - including for the bottled water we had to buy at £3.99 - there being none in the room.
At breakfast. there is a buffet style hot breakfast, and there was plenty of food, with serving plates regularly topped up. However, the food left somehting to be desired e.g. bacon was like cardboard (no excuse for this), and scrambled egg watery (OK, accept this is hard when mass catering).
On leaving, we spoke to the staff about the overheated room, and they thanked us for letting them know - however, I now see that previous reviewers here have mentioned it, so they can hardly have been unaware.
As I say, we had a good time at the family wedding, which all seemed to go well from a guest's point of view. How much was organised directly by the hotel I don't know, and i wouldn't want to comment on this aspect. But if we had been there for a hotel stay, we'd have checked out after the first night and found somewhere that offered value for money.

Room Tip: Request a room where you can turn the radiator down
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Hampshirehog9
SPHGC, Management Administration at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I am naturally disappointed that whilst you enjoyed the Wedding Celebrations you were attending, we did not meet all of your expectations whilst staying with us.
I can confirm that all of our bedrooms are of different shapes and sizes due to the age of the building and not being of 21st century build - however generally an executive room is one with a view over the gardens or golf course.
Each room is provided with tea and coffee making facilites and should any item run out (ie, tea, milk etc.) then reception will be more than happy have further supplies delivered to your room directly.
With regard to the wifi facilities - free access is available for upto 30 mins and due to the buildings age and room locations is maintly available in public areas. The TV's are due to be updated imminantly although all terresterial channels are available.
Please be assured that that your comments regarding the hotel tempus bar will be passed on to the relevant Management Team for review, however I can confirm that this is a public bar area for use by all residential guests.
Once again thank you for taking the time to give us your valued opinion.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Broken toilet seat behind the bathroom door, some parts of the hotel are spectacular whereas others looked like housing blocks in Warsal this was not a good start. Bacon in the morning looked like it was cooked in a microwave, my dad being from irish blood loves his Bacon and Sausages cooked properly. The pictures in the room were not alined properly, even an idiot could see that! Can you explain to me why there wasn't a route map to how to get from your room to and from the function room, the breakfast room and the reception?! The television looked like something that my dad had in 1972 with 5 channels, great! I am never coming back in a million years, the Marriot hotel is much better and at least cook Bacon properly as does Ozzies Cafe which its breakfast is 3 pounds! For people who are paying money for the all-day expensive experince no-one was allowed to use the swimming closed at 5pm!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank 186338Sonia
SPHGC, Management Administration at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I am of course disappointed to read that you were not happy with the standard of your room, and my maintenance team have been asked to straighten the picutre frames where required.
I of course have also forwarded your comments on regarding breakfast to the Executive Head Chef - however I can confirm that no food is prepared by microwave, and is cooked from fresh.
I can confirm that during the festive period, due to staffing levels and safety that the leisure club opening times did vary to those during other operating periods.
I would like to apologise for any shortcomings you experienced during your stay and please be assured that the issues you have raised will be addressed appropriately.