“Lovely hotel and staff”

De Vere Selsdon Estate
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed with other family members and we were pleasantly surprised by the warm welcome we received on check in. All staff during our stay made us feel good and the hotel is a lovely old building. The food was good and restaurant service was friendly. The grounds are beautiful and we are planning returning in the summer to play golf. Very nice stay. Thank you

Room Tip: You must walk the grounds! Fabulous!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Saira T
SPHGC, Management Administration at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
It was lovely to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay. Please be assured that your comments will be passed to the relevant parties, which I am sure will be warmly welcomed and we look forward to being able to welcome you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.

Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

popped in for champagne on Christmas eve and think some previous comments harsh champagne was lovely staff friendly and professional and decor beautiful am considering joining leisure club as a result of this visit thank you

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank myring1
SPHGC, Management Administrator at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your comments. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable evening and were able to appreciate the characteristics of the hotel which we are able to offer our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

I posted a review nearly a year ago regarding a stay at this hotel which fell far below the standard expected. As a result we were offered another saty for a date of our choice. We took up this offer and stayed again on the 21st December.
Check in was smooth and efficent. Our room 231 was so much better than our room last year. Firstly it was clean and well presented. The furniture and TV did look a bit tired but it was fine for one night. This isn't a 5 start hotel.
The room was very warm and the radiator couldn't be turned down. I opened a few windows and this rectified the problem. Dread to think what the hotel heating bill is like.
Our safe worked (this time) and there was a kettle and iron in the room. The bathroom looked a little dated but most importantly it was clean (this time) so we were happy.
We attended a function at the hotel and the food and service was good.
Breakfast the next morning was a buffet style. Again it did the job. The food was hot, well cooked and well presented in my opinion.
I have to mention the staff member who was greeting and taking room numbers at breakfast .
He was polite, proffessional and well presented. He is a credit to the hotel. He wasn't wearing a name badge so I don't know his name.
Having read some recent feedback about this hotel I am guessing it is still a bit 'Hit & Miss' as to what room you get and what experience you get.
On the whole we were happy with our stay and thank the hotel for making it up to us.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kenttravellerKent

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your return stay to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club.
Once again I would like to thank you for your feedback which enables us to continually monitor the service and facilities we are able to offer to our guests and we look forward to welcoming you back to hotel in the future.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

Business trip overnight stay- website is soooo much better than the real thing! I had a number of issues with this hotel. My room was cold, small and noisy. When I went for dinner in the restaurant I was shown to a table and told there was a draft and told that if i got cold I could be moved. The staff seemed surprised when I asked to move to another table first. Why on earth would I want to get half way through my meal, get cold then want to move? The meal itself was disappointing. The bar was not particularly welcoming or atmospheric. The only plus for this hotel was when I did complain they refunded half of my bill, the least they could do! I would not choose to stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't get room on ground floor
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
SPHGC, Management Administrator at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I am disappointed to hear that we did not exceed your expectations on this occasion and that your room was not the expected standard. Please be assured that your feedback has been passed to the relevant Heads of Department so that the issues you have kindly highlighted to us can be addressed. Thank you once again for your feedback which allows us to monitor the services we provide to our guests and I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

We visited and stayed at the hotel for a christmas join-a-party. We spent the afternoon relaxing in the spa which was small but we were the only people in it, although unfortunately the jacuzzi was not working. The room was very nice albeit a bit chilly to start with, but when we asked reception they immediately sorted out the heating in the bathroom and all was fine. The beds were very comfortable and we had a good night's sleep. One silly little thing, shower caps would be nice. Food and service at the party were very good.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I am pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay at Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club along with the event you attended and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

We arrived full of hope but all it had been is a disappointment. Cold soup that arrived 10 minutes after my husband's lunch did not start the weekend well. The spa consisted if a tiny sauna and steam room only as the hot tub was out of order and the fitness room was tiny with equipment that should be skipped. As for dinner where do I start! We had a reservation for 8pm but arrived to them clearing tables and told that they might be able to find us something! Menu felt like a pub but with top notch prices. Dessert was inedible but the rest passable if poor value for money. Service was dire throughout the entire meal. Complaining to the management only got a shrug of the shoulders. Will definitely not be back and how they can call this a spa hotel I will never know. We should have stayed at home.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank VickyP72

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and leaving your feedback.
I have passed your comments on to the Leisure Manager, and I can confirm that the Jacuzzi is now fully operational.
With regard the service you experienced in our restuarant not being to the standard expected, I would like to sincerely apologise for this shortcoming and I can assure you that the relevant Management Team will be addressing this as required to ensure that our service in this area is to the high standards we strive to deliver.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

I was very pleased with the value for money I received at Selsdon Park Hotel. The room was very spacious with a sizeable comfortable bed. I was greeted with enthusistic cheerful staff who were more than helpful.
The site itself is beautiful and easy to get to. Other reviews had left me not expecting much from the leisure facilities, but the service was prompt and professional and more importanly clean and well kept. I was very impressed and would definitely re-visit.

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write our review, and I am delighted to read that the facilities and services we provide to our guests exceeded your expectations. Please be assured that your comment will be passed on to the relevant teams where it will be warmly received. Once again thank you for your feedback which allows us to continually monitor the high standards we strive to deliver.