“Only worth for the view”

Royal Garden Restaurant
Ranked #276 of 489 Restaurants in Croydon
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 8, 2012

2 weeks ago went there with my wife. The good thing about this restaurant is the location - with a nice view on the hills if you get a table near the windows. The decor feels expensive and tasteful. The crowd is also well dressed and behaved - so it's a nice atmosphere. It unfortunately stops there.

While cold attitude are now an accepted norm in cantonese (read hong-kong) - locally known as Chinese restaurants that flood the UK, this one tops them all. The staff was quite cold to us. The food is overpriced and is not tasty at all. It's a real shame - because they could really exploit this location. I was frustrated to the point that I wished I could record the experience and put it on youtube! Anyway, after paying a rather hefty bill, we left there knowing that we would not be returning there.

The good thing is that after the food we could enjoy walking around the hills to put a positive spin to this trip for dinning out.

3  Thank Paul B
There are newer reviews for Royal Garden Restaurant

Reviewed May 15, 2012

food is lovely shame it feels like an old peoples home but not forgetting a bit pricey

1  Thank helen839
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I have been many times but this was the first time for about 3 years and it didn't disappoint. Located in most probably the wealthiest area of Croydon situated in a picturesque woodland, the restaurant is clean and bright. Service is very good and friendly but the defining element is the food. I have tasted too many bland and glupey Chinese dishes but all the food was delicious, freshly cooked and piping hot. It is more expensive than your average Chinese but the food is in a different league. It was a Monday evening so it was a little quiet so difficult to judge the atmosphere. Definitely worth a treat for a special occasion.

Reviewed December 19, 2011

I have lived in Croydon for more than 30 years and have never eaten here before. I have looked at menus outside and not been enticed to go in. 4 of us went there for a business lunch. There were 6 Chinese ladies at one table when we arrived, and still there when we left, no other customers. I am used to having to wait for a table at other restaurants due to their popularity & the number of other customers. This venue was chosen by an Englishman who claims not to know much about food, and I have to agree with him. The venue is nice, menu was acceptable but not exciting. When I asked about the range of vegetables available, and if the roast pork, the most popular meat in Chinese cuisine was available as Siew Yuk ( roast pork with crispy crackling), a different style to standard, universally available, Char Siu (barbequed pork), I was quizzed about how I knew about them, as if they were top secret. I know because I have eaten them at my home and the home of Chinese friends and at other Chinese restaurants in, the Far East, in Soho and at Tai Tung, which is the best Chinese restaurant in Croydon and better than many in Soho, in my opinion. They clearly have lots of events and musical entertainment nights, but I prefer to take my enjoyment from the food at a restaurant. It was, clean, acceptable, but far from exceptional. I do not expect to return in the next 30 years.

4  Thank jim_s69