Hampton by Hilton London Croydon
$73
$61
  • Breakfast included
Jurys Inn London Croydon(Croydon)(Great Value!)
$57
$80
PremierInn.com
$65
1,270 results
All reviewstrain stationrooms are smallcomplimentary breakfastmodern hotelgatwick airportminute walkcar parkthe breakfast areaoyster cardeasy accessbusiness stayself servicebeansshort stayyogurtenjoyed my staystayed here for one night
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I've never written a negative review but this hotel deserves one.

My wife and I stayed here for one night for a wedding nearby. Firstly, if you try and drive to this place on a Saturday you'll have to contend with Croydon town centre which it appears is designed for buses and trams only, cars have to fight for whatever space is left. That isn't the fault of the hotel but guests should be aware of it before they book here.

The hotel itself is clean and new looking, the rooms are small but this is London where broom cupboards pass for rooms.

The morning came and we went downstairs for breakfast and what a disaster that was. The communal area is all very funky and trendy but if a large number of guests turn up there are not nearly enough suitable chairs and tables. People were sat on sofas balancing trays on their laps. The biggest problem though was there were no plates or cutlery which makes eating a cooked breakfast difficult. Perhaps in order to deal with this the staff hadn't provided any food either.

We decided to leave it 30 minutes and try again but it hadn't got any better on our return. The manager seemed utterly clueless and when she was challenged about the state of everything she vanished back into the kitchen. One guest complained there were no forks so a member of staff went off and came back looking very pleased with themselves holding
a plate with ONE fork resting on it, great but the queue by now was looping around the eating area and we all needed cutlery.

We ended up with a couple of items and ate it perched on bar stools. Occasionally word would be passed that fruit juice or other items had appeared and a sudden rush would develope until it was all used up and people would return back to their tables empty handed, 'sorry children, no drinks for breakfast today'.

We complained to the manager and pointed out that the hotel stated if we weren't completely satisfied we could have a refund. The manager told us this didn't apply to us as we had booked through Expedia, what a rip off!

Since our stay I have emailed Hilton twice but apart from an automated response telling me how they value my comments and that they'll get back to me, I haven't heard a thing.

In short. Hilton; your hotel is rubbish, your staff at that hotel are so bad it's almost funny and finally your customer support is frankly insulting. If anyone from your huge company reads this please take note and if you'd answered one of my two emails I wouldn't be forced to write this and slate you in public!

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank lovetravelling012
Deborah D, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton London Croydon, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Hi lovetravelling012,

Thank you for getting in touch with us regarding your stay, and your very open and honest review of how you found breakfast on which I can see was a very busy morning.

I believe this issue has now been resolved after contacting us, and a full refund issued. Corrective training has been implemented, and new staff have been taken on to deal with hectic mornings such as these.

If for whatever reason you have any questions, or anything hasn't been resolved, please call the hotel directly and we'll aim to get everything sorted for you.

Reviewed June 14, 2012 via mobile

I really enjoyed the diamond jubilee holiday with my girlfriend. Hampton hotel gave us an unforgettable time. Many thanks !!!

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank M N
Reviewed June 13, 2012

This hotel is ok I would not say its great.Its brand new so it still has that brand new smell to it.
The rooms are very small but the beds are really comfortable. I would not recommend a long term stay for two people sharing a room. Its very close to the east crodyon train station.
The gym is very small one treadmill, one bike and one fitness machine.
The neighborhood is good for running.

Be mindful to get to breakfast early as they tend to run out of food, and you fill like your in highschool as they give you orange trays to carry your food on in the moring.

Room Tip: No tips I think all the rooms are the same size but you will get a good sleep once you hit the mattress.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank AJetsonFromHarlem
Reviewed June 13, 2012

4 star ish hotel near East Croydon.

Staff where helpful, rooms where clean and new.

Have not tried the breakfast, but looked ok.

If you need somewhere to stay new the station or close the Gatwick, this hits the nail on the head.

Room Tip: No room service, but 24 hour bar
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank rsma1234

The plus points:

Wifi: Free for all!

Single rooms: Modern furnishings, an electric socket right by the bed (you'll be surprised how many hotels don't have this!), flat screen tv with plenty of channels (although not many foreign language channels).

Bathrooms: Compact but new, with a standalone shower. Thankfully there is no bath and no separate hot and cold taps (welcome to 21st century Britain, it took them a while to get rid of these taps).

Location: Only a 5-10 minute walk from the main train station. Good restaurants in the area, try Gallicia, Pizza Express, Glamorgan pub.

Newspapers: They provide you a free copy every morning in the breakfast area.

The not so good points:

Rooms: They are tiny, for a long term stay you might be better off in the Croydon Park hotel, or the Hilton in Purley which is only a 10 minute bus ride away.

Breakfast: It feels like you are eating in a canteen, the hot food selection can run out quite quickly and you are waiting for more. The coffee machines are terrible.

Breakfast area decor: The "Imperial Airways" posters are a little bit eerie, a nod to the British Empire which the locals can't seem to let go in their minds. Posters with a more modern portrayal of the UK would be appropriate.

Room service: There is none, and they won't let you take food up to your room.

Laundry service: It works, but on two occasions they brought my laundry back to somebody else, and gave me somebody elses clothes. This could have been a bigger problem if I hadn't noticed quickly and the other person had already checked out!

Location: Croydon isn't the most charming of suburbs. I was not surprised to hear that it was picked as the location for the filming of some of the scenes in the latest Batman movie, it is pretty grey and uninspiring, a bit like Gotham city.

Hilton Honours members: There are no perks for Hilton Honour Diamond members, i.e. no bigger rooms or a welcome snack in your room.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank mnmio15
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Hiya Numb15,

Thank you for your constructive feedback relating to your stay with us in Croydon.

We're pleased to hear you liked the free Wi-Fi, furnishings, flat screen TVs etc. You'll be pleased to know that these are available in every Hampton by Hilton!

Due to the shape of our building, our rooms come in slightly varying sizes. If you were to come back and visit us again, do let us know, and we'll try our very best to pop you into one of our slightly bigger rooms.

Thank you for the comments on our artwork in the breakfast area. The posters and images relate to the history of the Croydon area, and the airport that used to be situated just down the road from us. No offence was intended, and we apologise if you percieved our art choices incorrectly.

As we are not a full service hotel, we unfortunately don't offer room service. However, food can be ordered from the bar, or your room, and we can give you a quick call when it's ready.

Please accept my apologies for the mix-up with your laundry. New processes have been implemented so incidents like this won't happen again.

Thanks again for staying with us, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.