“Fab food, fun atmosphere”

Aqua Mediterranean Bar & Grill
Ranked #32 of 467 Restaurants in Croydon
Cuisines: Mediterranean, European
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Aqua Mediterranean Meze Bar and Grill is the brainchild of two highly experienced chefs, Dasos Charalambous and Dario Nardo. Both have trained and worked in some of London's top hotels and seized the chance to open their own restaurant when the right premises came up in South End. Aqua Brasserie Croydon They liked the look of the contemporary-styled eaterie at 33-35 South End and with a few tweaks here and there to lend just a little more sophistication, opened their brasserie. "Our aim is to offer people a place where they can enjoy quality food, at reasonable prices in a place where they can sit and chill," said Dasos. And I have to say the food really is first class. It's nothing too fancy - just simple, quality food cooked to perfection.
London, United Kingdom
“Fab food, fun atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

We had a lovely meal here this week for my birthday. We had a table for 9, which was very tight but cosy.! It was very busy and took a while to order our food and for it to come but the food was lovely, I had the fish platter and it was delicious. We used a tastecard so it was 50% off the meal but it still ended up being nearly 20pounds each, that was including a £30 service charge, added automatically, a bottle of wine, beer and a couple of soft drinks each. It was a good meal, however be prepared for a long wait and for 12.5% service charge to be added! I wouldn't go here without a tastecard as it is pricey!

• Visited September 2013

Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
“Nice for a change but I wouldn't choose to go back.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Tried this for the first time with some friends. Nice atmosphere on first impression.
Reasonable prices set menu which we ate from, not sure about main menu.
Unfortunately I chose badly on the food front but a friends steak and chips looked nice however that's not what I'd go to an Italian for.
The staff are the biggest let down, not overly friendly and on occasion I found them quite abrupt.
I'd go again if it was booked because it wasn't awful but I wouldn't choose to go there.
In a competitive row of restaurants I think they need to up their game!

London, United Kingdom
“Excellent Value, Delicious Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Had a fantastic meal at Aqua which is firmly becoming my favourite place to eat in Croydon. We went on a Monday night which is 50% off steak and there is also a set menu available Monday – Thursday which is £15 for 2 courses or £18 for 3 courses.

I ordered from the set menu and was delighted with my meal. I had the Lamb Meatballs to start – beautifully presented and really tasty. My fiancé had the Portobello Mushrooms stuffed with balsamic onion marmalade and dolcelatte, he thoroughly enjoyed it and the portion was a decent size.

We both had the 8oz Rump steak for main. Cooked perfectly and served with a lovely hot portion of chips. For pudding I had tiramisu which was quite wet with a lot of sauce, it was delicious but I personally would have preferred it to be more cake-like but that is just my preference. Fiancé had chocolate brownie with ice cream which was delightful!

Aqua is rapidly becoming one of the best restaurants to go to in Croydon. The service is fast and friendly, the menu is varied and the ingredients are of a high quality. I would definitely recommend Aqua (especially on a week night for its great value!)

Croydon, United Kingdom
“Lovely food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Had a delicious meal at Aqua with a friend. Service was prompt, our waitress was friendly and knowledgable and the menu was interesting and varied. The portion sizes are good and the presentation of the food is excellent. My only quibble is that the restaurant is a little cramped. Very good value for money overall.

• Visited August 2013
“Rude and arrogant manager ruined our otherwise pleasant meal.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

We booked a table for 7 one evening to celebrate my parents wedding anniversary. I telephoned beforehand to ask about using a taste card and was informed that that would be no problem.

Our meal was very pleasant, the portion sizes are generous and the choice is varied. We had no qualms about the food and our waitress was polite and attentive.

When we came to pay, I presented the taste card and the waitress came and brought back our bill. We were very pleased with our savings, but slightly baffled by the way the restaurant had worked out the service charge.

They had applied the service charge before we had our discount, and also it is 12.5% as opposed to the usual 10% expected in most restaurants.

We wanted to pay the waitress a 10% service charge, and so we asked her to remove it from the total bill so we could pay it separately and with cash instead of with our card payment.

She then proceeded to ask her manager, who came over to our table in a huff with a new receipt. My father queried why they had put a higher service charge than our total bill, and the manager was extremely rude and abrupt in saying that it had been applied before the discount. He then went away to the till to sort out the payment, rolling his eyes and clearly annoyed that we were not content to pay the amount they had asked for. When he came to return the recipes and card, he spotted the cash that we planned to give as a tip (over 10% off the bill anyway) and pointed at me saying 'its optional, don't bother'.

We were extremely disappointed that the manager could treat us in such a way, considering the tip was optional in the first place. When my partner questioned him to ask for an explanation of why he had been so rude, he started shouting at us that 'he said it was optional' but refusing to acknowledge that we actually wanted to pay it.

We therefore left no tip and will not be going back again, which is a shame because the food was rather nice.

I have since read other reviews which suggest we weren't alone in receiving such treatment. Aqua need to seriously look at how they treat their customers, and I can only assume that they partake in the taste card because the service is so bad, they have to make up the money somehow. If they aren't happy to have customers paying a discounted rate then they should come off the taste card altogether. They should also understand that service charge is OPTIONAL, and 12.5% automatically added on us not acceptable!

• Visited July 2013