“Sunday lunch at Aqua” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aqua Mediterranean Bar & Grill

Aqua Mediterranean Bar & Grill
Ranked #36 of 458 Restaurants in Croydon
Cuisines: Mediterranean, European
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Aqua Mediterranean Meze Bar and Grill is the brainchild of two highly experienced chefs, Dasos Charalambous and Dario Nardo. Both have trained and worked in some of London's top hotels and seized the chance to open their own restaurant when the right premises came up in South End. Aqua Brasserie Croydon They liked the look of the contemporary-styled eaterie at 33-35 South End and with a few tweaks here and there to lend just a little more sophistication, opened their brasserie. "Our aim is to offer people a place where they can enjoy quality food, at reasonable prices in a place where they can sit and chill," said Dasos. And I have to say the food really is first class. It's nothing too fancy - just simple, quality food cooked to perfection.
London
“Sunday lunch at Aqua”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

I've visited Aqua a couple of times before but never on a Sunday. What's nice is that they stay open all day on Sunday enabling people to pop in like we did around 4pm when it's not so busy.
We were planning opn having something from the main menu but when we saw the roasts come out to the table next door our minds were changed so we switched to the Sunday set menu. I had the spaghetti & meatballs starter which was pleasant, the star of the starters though was my husband’s whitebait which were lovely. I'm not a fan of whitebait (I think it's the way they stare at you!) but these were delicious (I nibbled a few as the portion was enormous). The batter they were coated in was crispy & delicious & I'd certainly try them again.
For mains he had the lamb which was so full of flavour & came with roast potatoes that he described as (Almost as good as yours) this is truly impressive as a lot of restaurants seem to struggle with doing a good roastie, they tend to be a bit undercooked most places, but according him they were lovely, crispy on the outside & fluffy in the middle.
I had the confit duck leg which is something I've never tried before & it was very good indeed. The creamy mash was exactly as described & the duck was flavoursome & tender, falling off the bone. At £15 for 2 courses (£17 for 3 if you can cram in a desert!) this comes in at a great price. It’s worth noting that they do add a service charge automatically which I am not a fan of as I like to decide how much/when to tip.
Will certainly visit on a Sunday again.

1 Thank Moley42

Wellingborough, United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

This was recommended and did not disappoint. the goats chees starter was actually a meal in itself. so much so that i could hardly manage my main course which was seared salmon and equally as delicious as the starter.
The side dishes are a little more unusual than the norm, try the broccoliwith chilli and garlic!
Great little find

1 Thank Di C
Croydon, United Kingdom
“One to Remember”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Excellent Food and First Class Service. I have been many times now with friends and family and it never disappoints. It has got to be the best restaurant on South End. Croydon..

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Elizabeth C
London, united kingdom
“Mediterranean delight in South Croydon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

It might have been because yesterday was one of the hottest days of the year, but certainly Aqua got us into the holiday mood. A lovely selection of Greek starters and mains which almost left it impossible to choose.

The aircon kept the atmosphere cool, the service was unobtrusive, and the food was great. They accept taste card as well which helps a lot with the bill.

Look forward to returning in the future.

1 Thank Wraytravellers
Tokyo, Japan
“Pleasant but prices are a little higher than what I expected.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Aqua seems to have a regular clientele which indicates that they are consistent with their flavors and service, both of which we found very good over all. We did have to prompt a server to bring the bread we saw going to all the other tables, but it was done immediately upon our mentioning it. Service throughout was professional but perhaps a bit distant.

We had the scallops and filo pastry for starters and the souvlaki chicken and rib eye steak for mains. All the dishes were distinct and the portions were generous; the standouts were the filo pastry and the souvlaki chicken. We had two drinks and split a dessert, the panna cotta; this was more gelatin than I was hoping for so I was glad we just decided to split it.

The final bill was 75 pounds and a service charge was automatically included in that. It said at the bottom of the receipt that an optional service charge was added, but I don't recall being asked about this option. We were ok with leaving a tip, but it was sort of annoying to have it decided for us; if that's the case, I'd prefer restaurants fold the charge into the food costs.

The restrooms were clean and the dining area was nicely decorated, and considering they had over 60 seating capacity, we were able to hold a normal conversation.