“Disastrous” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Bakersfield
“Disastrous”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel a few years ago and enjoyed my stay. I re-booked, this time with my mother and brother, and encountered an utter disaster. Despite the fact that the staff are very friendly and attentive, the hotel leaves much to be desired. The bathrooms have mold clinging to the grout and the bathroom in one of the rooms looked more like a murder scene.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Anita K, General Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Stuart,

Thank you for your feedback.

I was glad to see, that you have found the staff very friendly and attentive. I would also like to apologise for the state of the bathroom at the time of your stay, which you have mentioned in your review, was in March. Since that time, we have installed new fans in every bathroom to prevent condensation and mold. All bathrooms have been repainted and the silicon around the bathtubs were changed. We are also in the process of redecorating the bedrooms to ensure all rooms are clean and fresh looking just like they were at the time of opening.

I hope you decide to give us another chance to show you the new and improved Lansdowne Hotel.

Anita Kadar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Brighton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Having read the grim reviews of this hotel on here I was expecting a cross between a dormitory and workhouse!
My experience was the total opposite.
This easy to find hotel is minutes from East Croydon station and directly opposite the Whitgift shopping centre.
On arriving I was allocated a third floor room and yes like others, the lift wasn't operational .....
However it's hardly Mount Everest and the room more than made up for that.
The double bedded room was sparkling clean, lovely TV with many channels..
Host of teas, flavoured teas, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits all free of charge.
Bed was beautifully presented and crisp and clean.
Wifi also all over hotel.
Carpets and curtains also top quality.
Big bathroom with shower/bath and complimentary shower and shampoo bottles.
Big bar downstairs offering food and drinks...
Health centre with everything you need and free as a guest and all for £54 per room!!
Hunt around to get best rate as they do vary.
I would return again more than happily....
This is a little gem

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank seagull9
Anita K, General Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Seagull9,

Thank you very much for writing this comprehensive and very kind review.

I was happy to read that you have found the hotel’s location ideal for your travel and the lift outage didn’t ruin your experience. Last week we have received the custom made part for the lift, which was fitted immediately and now the lift is fully functional again. I was also glad to see, you were able to take advantage of our complimentary offers of Wi-Fi and entry to the Health Club and your room was sparkling clean with beautifully presented bed and top quality beds and curtains.

Thank you again for your unbiased review and we hope to see you soon.

catrine
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

Looked great on the web site................ Wasn't told when booking and fully paid up that the lift wasn't working and had been broken for some time...... They then put my Mother on the fourth floor........... She isn't old but, having to go up and down 8 lots of stairs....... No restaurant or bar at weekends...........Room booked was a twin and it was tiny, but clean and that was its saving grace............ Never again

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Ceres42,

Thank you for providing us with a feedback.

I do apologise for the inconvenience caused by the lift outage. Unfortunately the part, which was broken, had to be custom made, which caused a significant delay in the repair process. This part has now been fitted and the lift is fully functional again. The restaurant, which operated independently from the hotel, is usually closed on Sundays, due to low demand. The hotel is located in the town centre of Croydon and there are several restaurants close proximity to the hotel open on Sundays. The reception team is more than happy to recommend restaurants serving different type of cuisines to our guests. In regards to the bedroom, I agree, some of the rooms are on the smaller side, but we also have superior and executive rooms, which I would recommend for booking, as they are significantly larger than the standard rooms.

If you wish to discuss the matter any further, please do not hesitate to contact me by email at gm@lansdownehotelcroydon.co.uk. I also hope you will give a chance to improve your impression of the hotel.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

I had the pleasure " not " of a night here last week due to business.

UK is enjoying fantastic weather so you can imagine my disappointment to be told the rooms do not have air conditioning! When I asked why it did not state this on the web page, no response! This day and age air conditioning is so standard, if its not available it should be stated on the web page

The next pleasure was being informed my room was on the 4 th floor and the only lift was broken!!!

The room was the size of a postage stamp and sweltering only good thing going for it was it appeared clean.

The bar shuts at 10pm ( no air con either ) and the room was stifling so I decided to eat elsewhere.

Directly across from the hotel was another hotel and until about 2 pm in the morning their was a group of 30 men with cars and vans milling around and talking, noisy and disruptive

The whole area from what I saw is down trodden even though its the town centre.

The next time I need to stay I will stop outside and travel in as this hotel is very poor and the centre is not well kept

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Stuart,

Thank you for taking the time and writing a review.

I was very disappointed to read your dissatisfaction with the stay. Unfortunately the heat wave in July has led to unusually high temperatures inside the buildings just as well as outside. Air conditioning in the UK is still not a standard amenity, as although most of the new built hotels have it, many of the older hotels are without it. Hotels, which have air conditioning in the room, are advertising the amenity as a selling point.

I do apologise for the lift outage, which I understand caused some inconvenience, especially in the hot weather. I’m glad to report, the lift is operational again, making it easier to access the rooms on higher floors. Thank you for acknowledging the cleanliness of the room, which I understand was slightly on the smaller side. I tend to recommend the usage of the superior or executive rooms for people who in need of a larger space. The independently operated bar usually closes around 10pm unless there is a demand for late opening. I also apologise for the noise coming from the street, but I’m sure you can appreciate too, that it is out of my control. Croydon town centre is currently undergoing a multimillion pounds redevelopment, which should definitely help to raise the profile of the town.

I hope you decide to give us another chance to show you, this is not the standard which we operate under. If you wish to discuss the matter any further, please do not hesitate to contact me by email at gm@lansdownehotelcroydon.co.uk.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

I am frequently staying in Croydon on business purposes however I have never experienced such a bad service, in particular:- the room was small and hot – of course no AC or fridge available - it was extremely dirty (including the carpet, the walls and the objects on the table) and noisy -  obviously at the reception they told me that they are not able to give me a converter, they don’t do wake up calls and !!!! they do not have an envelope – probably a strange request in a hotel when checking out and having to put the receipt away - of course I am not surprised by the fact that the towels in the bathroom were old When I checked the hotel through the website the pictures shown were really misleading – as they made me think that this facility was a hotel with 3 star standards. I truly feel for the other guests having to go through the same experience.

Dear Klaudia,

Thank you for your feedback.

Naturally, I was disappointed see, we have not met your expectations. Having air conditioning and fridge in the rooms are not standard for a 3 star property, which I understand caused some inconvenience in the time of the heat wave in July for which, I apologise. I respectfully have to disagree with your comments in regards to the lack of cleanliness of the rooms. Each room is cleaned every day and inspected by the head housekeeper. Myself, and the area managers are also carry out regular room checks to ensure high cleanliness standards; this is reflected in other reviews praising the hotel on this point. In regards to wakeup calls, every room is equipped with an iPod dock, which is in place to be used as alarm among other functions. The reception team is more than happy to show the guests how to operate it, if it is needed. I do apologise that the receptionist on your check out wasn’t able to provide you with an envelope. This issue has been rectified immediately and we are happy to provide envelopes to our guests on request.

Please accept my apologies again, and if you wish to discuss the matter any further, please do not hesitate to contact me by email at gm@lansdownehotelcroydon.co.uk.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on Thursday night although the room it's self and the hotel was acceptable. When booking online I was quoted 75 a night on arrival a per payment was taken of 75 on my card once home I noticed that had taken 165 I called the hotel to find out why that had taken an extra 90 put if my account to be told the room rate changed Once I already had checked in and payed to 165. I explained that this is in acceptable you can't charged people more and take more money from there card over night. I emailed the hotel pictures of my online confirmation and rescipt of 75 and heated noting back from the hotel I have since emailed daily and still no reply And I can't get threw to a manager on the hotel line. I have been left with no option other than report the matter to the police. I would never stay hear again

Dear Jess,

I have investigated the matter and found, you have been smoking in the non-smoking bedroom and you have taken the bedroom key with you. My colleague has contacted you after you have checked out, at which point you advised him, that you will return the key shortly. Unfortunately the key has never been returned and the calls made to your mobile phone after that were decline, so we had no other choice, but to charge your card for the lock change and the loss of revenue, as we were not able to sell the room that night due to the smoking.

Bath, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Lansdowne Hotel in Croydon was very unpleasant, starting with the smell of urine in the reception and up the staircase (lifts not working), less than perfect hygiene everywhere, poky rooms, questionable security, noisy leisure club below, and weird arrangement whereby they sent us across the road to Jury's Inn for breakfast, where they have an arrangement for a discount. So, a nasty hole, £97 per night room only, and breakfast extra in another hotel.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else