“Never stay here again poorest customer service I have ever know”

The Lansdowne Hotel
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Hyde
“Never stay here again poorest customer service I have ever know”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on Thursday night although the room it's self and the hotel was acceptable. When booking online I was quoted 75 a night on arrival a per payment was taken of 75 on my card once home I noticed that had taken 165 I called the hotel to find out why that had taken an extra 90 put if my account to be told the room rate changed Once I already had checked in and payed to 165. I explained that this is in acceptable you can't charged people more and take more money from there card over night. I emailed the hotel pictures of my online confirmation and rescipt of 75 and heated noting back from the hotel I have since emailed daily and still no reply And I can't get threw to a manager on the hotel line. I have been left with no option other than report the matter to the police. I would never stay hear again

• Stayed July 2013
Anita K, General Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Jess,

I have investigated the matter and found, you have been smoking in the non-smoking bedroom and you have taken the bedroom key with you. My colleague has contacted you after you have checked out, at which point you advised him, that you will return the key shortly. Unfortunately the key has never been returned and the calls made to your mobile phone after that were decline, so we had no other choice, but to charge your card for the lock change and the loss of revenue, as we were not able to sell the room that night due to the smoking.

If you wish to discuss the matter any further, please do not hesitate to contact me by email at gm@lansdownehotelcroydon.co.uk.

Anita Kadar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Lansdowne Hotel in Croydon was very unpleasant, starting with the smell of urine in the reception and up the staircase (lifts not working), less than perfect hygiene everywhere, poky rooms, questionable security, noisy leisure club below, and weird arrangement whereby they sent us across the road to Jury's Inn for breakfast, where they have an arrangement for a discount. So, a nasty hole, £97 per night room only, and breakfast extra in another hotel.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Anita K, General Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Bob,

Thank you for your review.

I was very disappointed reading your comments. Unfortunately our lift is broken at the moment, but the new part is under order and will be fitted shortly. To limit the impact of this on our guests, we have employed two luggage porters who are more than happy to assist the guest carrying luggage to and from their room. I’m afraid I have to disagree with the comment regarding urine smell on reception and the corridors. Our housekeeping team cleans and sanitises all public areas every morning and afternoon to ensure high cleanliness throughout the hotel.

In regards to your comments on breakfast, our continental breakfast is served in the Coffee Shop in the hotel’s building. In addition to this, to ensure we cater for guests who prefer having cooked breakfast, we have a standing arrangement with the Jury’s Inn, whereby our guest can purchase a cooked breakfast on a significantly discounted rate.

Thank you again for your comments and if you wish to discuss the matter any further, please feel free to contact me on the following email address: gm@lansdownehotelcroydon.co.uk

Paphos District, Cyprus
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Booked this as an overnight stay, post Wimbledon. Choose for proximity to Merton park & ride.

Arrived late after long day (checked this would be OK prior to travelling). Checking in was confused. I'm not going in to details here as we spoke to the manager and received an apology for the confusion but I could have done without it, having been up since 3.00 am.

Parking was in the NCP car park up the road but because I hadn't checked before travelling, my husband dropped us off outside with our luggage and then had to drive back round the houses (literally!) to get to the car park, so make sure you check out before you arrive if coming by car!

The rooms and bathrooms are basic but clean and the beds comfortable, however my room was certainly not as glamorous as the ones shown on the website.

Using the spa facilities is not straightforward but they were worth the effort. I had a nice swim and steam the following morning.

Breakfast is in the adjoining cafe and good value for money.

Would be perfect for an inexpensive stay on the edge of London.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Ann,

Thank you for taking the time and providing us with a feedback.

I do apologise for the confusion at check in, but I’m glad to see, the manage on duty was able to help. Due to the town centre location, the hotel is surrounded by several one way streets, which make it a bit more difficult to park. For future stays, please give us a call and we are happy to assist.

I’m happy to see that you have found the room clean and comfortable and you have managed to take advantage of the health club facilities. It is also good to see that the breakfast in the Coffee Shop was good value for money.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We spent 6 nights in this hotel in June 2013.
Pros: very good bed, very clean room (daily cleaning service), indoor swimming pool, jacuzzi, saunas, very close to West Croydon and East Croydon train stations if you're looking to visit London (15 min travel time by train to London Bridge station)
Cons: poor breakfast, no parking, windows don't open all the way, they only tilt, the elevator was out of order, no minibar

Room Tip: Ask for a room towards Lansdowne Street; there's nothing to see on the other side
Dear Sorin,

Thank you for taking the time and writing a review.

I was glad to read that the location of the hotel was ideal for your needs and you have found the bed very good and the room very clean. Due to the town centre location the hotel does not have its own car park, but there is an NCP car park located only a 2 minute walk from the hotel. Our guests are welcome to use this car park on a discounted £7.50 per 24 hours rate, which can be claimed after validation of the parking ticket on reception.

We hope you will chose our hotel again when you are visiting London.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Sometimes in life you miss the last train and find yourself needing a place to stay in a rather grotty part of Croydon. This is the situation my partner and I found ourselves in recently and not wanting to part with too much cash for just a few hours kip, we found ourselves at The Landsdowne Hotel.

On arrival at the hotel we were greeted by two police officers leading a guest out of the building. Despite the commotion, which included two drunkards on the pavement outside the hotel heckling the officers, the two receptionists behind the desk didn't bat an eyelid- leading me to believe this was not exactly an atypical night at the hotel. The staff were polite and after checking-in directed us to the staircase- the lift was out of order (of course). You can imagine by now we were slightly concerned at what to expect when entering our bedroom- however we were relieved to find it quite decent in comparison to the rest of hotel. The room was very spacious with all the amenities necessary- tv, shower gel, kettle and blow dryer (though it didn't work). There was a rather off-putting dark stain/limescale at the bottom of the toilet bowl, however the bedroom and en-suite were both clean.

For a quick, cheap (for London) stop-over The Landsdowne definitely does the job. However it is far from somewhere I would chose for a relaxing or romantic get-away. The pool may be a nice touch, but in order to really contend with the new Premier Inn being built directly opposite, the entrance and corridors definitely need a good spruce up. I'd also suggest that if they are going to charge £6 quid for breakfast, they at least include a few traditional English Breakfast options and a good array of cereal- coffee and fruit doesn't really cut it!

1 Thank AbzTrip
Dear AbzTrip,

Thank you for taking the time and writing a review.

I apologise for the greeting you have had on your arrival. Unfortunately on the night in question, we had a couple of guests, who after checking in, left the hotel for a night out and drunk more, than they should have. On their return their behaviour was unacceptable, and when they were asked to retire to their room, they refused to do so, due to which the night team was forced to ask for the assistance of the police. Although this incident was not something which happens frequently in our hotel, the team is trained to act professionally, and minimise any effect the incident might have on other guests. This is the reason why the team did not show their concern at the time of your check in.

I was glad to see, that after arriving to your room, you have found the room clean, well equipped and enjoyed using the swimming pool. The continental breakfast is provided by the Coffee shop, which establishment does not have the facilities to provide full English breakfast. We can also provide discount voucher for guests who prefer cooked breakfast to cater to all requirements.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to greet you again in our hotel.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Very attentive and welcoming receptionist (Danny) (this would be the biggest plus),big bath and very close to the town centre.
What we didn`t like : very small rooms,tv was hard to watch because of its position,breakfast was not a plus,and the elevator was not working (we had a room on the third floor but then again the receptionist was very helpful)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Anita K, General Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Dragos,

Thank you very much for providing us with a feedback. I was glad to read how good your impression was about Danny on reception. I will pass on your feedback to him. I would also like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by the lift breakdown. We are currently waiting for the motor to be replaced, which will solve the problem. For future stays, I would recommend to book one of our superior or exec rooms which would provide ample space.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Birmingham, Alabama, United States
Reviewed May 21, 2013

my wife and i just had a 2 week tour in europe and london was our 1st stop... 4 days in london and we stayed at the Lansdowne Hotel in Croydon... The hotel was small.. which i was ready for... our trip was about london and not stay in the whole time.. so size did not matter for us. location was great cause it was outside of london so we didn't get that busy tourist area.. we actually had nice and peaceful stay. across from the hotel.. they had a mall a pound store... and many other shops.. a block from that.. markets.. it was really nice and convenient.. if you stay there.. at the station... there's an info center... nice people... get the 7 day pass for the tram.. rides the train, metro, and bus... the hotel... the staff was very nice... got to meet the employee of the month of april.. she was great... and danny.. i believe that was his name.. he was on point. the ladies that helped us out. .they were fantastic.. and the manager was great.. overall on our tour... lansdowne hotel will be our memorable story. thanks again Lansdowne!!!

Room Tip: if you're from america and you are use to our hotels back home... you will need to be open minde...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robert A
Anita K, General Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Robert,

Thank you very much for your lovely review, it was very nice meeting you and your family. I'm happy to see, you have found the location of the hotel handy and you the staff helpful and friendly. My team is an asset to the hotel.

I hope the rest of your travel was just as enjoyable and you and your wife will came back to celebrate your anniversary as well.