“One night stay”

Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Grimsby, N E Lincs
“One night stay”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Had to visit Croydon for a business trip, and needed a room at short notice. My employers paid for everything so I can't comment on value for money.

My work took place in Croydon Crown Court, which meant the hotel is ideally situated, as it is just across the road. This does mean that if you've got a room at the front of the hotel you have to look out on the court building, which to be perfectly honest looks like what I imagine the Statsi Headquarters was like in East Berlin circa 1970. I doubt it will ever get listed status, but who knows.

I stayed at the Jurys Inn, Croydon the previous night, and in many ways the hotels are very similar. The staff were excellent, friendly, and helpful. The hotel is clean, and is well presented. Breakfast is buffet style, and excellent. I didn't use any of the facilities, just stayed in the room, and left in the morning.

My only criticism would be the same as the Jurys Inn. The rooms need a programme of refurbishment and updating. This is probably only an issue of aesthetics, it wouldn't really affect whether you had a good nights sleep (which by the way, I did).

If you need a base in Croydon which is close to East Croydon railway station, and the crown court, the Croydon Park is an ideal choice.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
croydonpark, Front Office Manager at Croydon Park Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear yellowbelly_9

All your comments are noted.

Thanks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Longford, Ireland
Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel.Rooms adequate and clean.Staff very friendly and helpful.Baggage storage area. Excellent location train to Gatwick and central London 2 minute walk.Good breakfast with huge choice.Nice bar with friendly helpful staff.Could not find fault with hotel or staff.Very good value for money and would definitely stay again

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Richardmol

Hurry back...

Dorset
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We arrived over last weekend for our 2nd visit in space of 6 weeks, as we enjoyed our first stay. We didn't check in until late Saturday night as we were in central London on the Saturday. When we checked in the man took a auth code from our debit card for £215, which was ok. When we checked out on Sunday I gave my card and the man explained the total bill was £255, which he took of my card. I asked him if the £215 transaction would be cancelled and he said he would cancel that straight away. I paid and left. When I went into the bank on Tuesday I found that they had not only taken the £255 they had taken the £215 and another £40, not sure how they done the £40 transaction.
After lots of calls and emails and faxes from them to my Bank they finally dealt with it late Thursday afternoon and Money will hopefully be in account by Sunday.
My advise is to double check before giving card details, this happened the last time we stayed and I was promised it would not happen again, but it did.
This experience has made us decide we wont stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Darren M
London
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Booked into this hotel on business for one week. Stayed on the 4th floor in the executive wing. This hotel calls itself a hotel to cater for business travellers but for most of the week the internet was either unobtainable or the signal was so weak it was a waste of time. I complained several times at reception and each time I was told they are working on it, but no improvement at all. I checked out at the end of the week and returned the following week. I insisted on having a room near a router as internet is vital for me. I got a room on the second floor this time and internet was much better.

Reasonable gym with a good selection of cardio machines but the weights room is tiny and cramped, The floor had ballooned up creating a serious trip hazard, made more dangerous by the fact it is in a weights room, however when I brought it to the attention of the gym receptionist, she just shrugged her shoulders, smiled and said "we know"

Restaurant is good, service faultless and they do an expensive but fabulous dinner buffet. Breakfast could be better, fried breakfast buffet (nothing worse than cold fried eggs) but reasonable selection of fruit and cereals also. Never saw a banana all week, I dont know why, since it is popular with many people for breakfast and inexpensive. The dish warmers where hot food is kept are enormous with large oval glass lids almost as big as a dustbin lid. When you are getting food there is no where to put the lids except on top of other dishes, not very nice if other guests are trying to get food alongside you.

I was accosted by a prostitute from Romania on my second night who was staying in one of the rooms. My friend who lives locally told me the hotel is often frequented by prostitutes so I looked on the internet and found two operating from different rooms at the hotel. I gave the room numbers to the receptionist the following day. Not very salubrious for a 4 star hotel.
I have noticed that on both weeks I have stayed here and in both rooms, I paid for a double bed. However what you get are two single beds joined together. It can make for an uncomfortable nights sleep if you lie in the centre of the bed as I often do. Room was clean and functional, good air con and cleaned well each day.

I was on a paid business trip however I would wince at the advertised rates here, the rooms are very very expensive compared to some local rivals. Ok the other hotels nearby may not have a health spa, but you can find better health spas and gyms within 10 minutes walk and get full use for around £7 - £10 per day. It maybe a much better option if you want to take a cheaper budget hotel but still want a gym.

I would never stay here if paying myself, but for business it was OK once the internet was working

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Morteeman
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 18, 2014

First at the reception, don't ask for an early check-in : it's NO. And I can't see a supervisor about it.
The room :The bathroom really need to an uplift. WiFi does not work well. NO SAFE in the room. When you ask at check in for a safe, they gave a small plastic enveloppe. No you can't fit a mini laptop in that very small plastic enveloppe, good for only 3-4 passports.

They don't have an Ice Machine. I went to the lobby to ask for ice, they told me to phone from my room. And the guy who bring you ice, don't like to bring you ice !!

The bed are good, the breakfast is good (cost 10 pounds/person). It's near the East Croydon Train station (nice location).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Daniel L
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

Only a few minutes walk from East Croydon station, the hotel is easily accessible. Walking back towards the station gives access to the town centre and shops so you really shouldn't need a taxi to get around.

The hotel has a recently refurbished lobby, with a friendly, efficient, reception service. Everything was well explained on check in.

I used the gym which is split over two floors. The ground floor has a cardio selection of machines with a TV, and music playing. The machines are ageing and in need of replacement but at least there is more than one of everything. On the top floor, the free weights and workout section is crammed in the corner next to the pool. There were 5 people trying to use the equipment and to say it felt cramped would be an understatement! Again, at least there is a good selection of machines and weights so go off peak and you'll have a better time. Again the machines need a bit of TLC...

I stayed on the top floor and had a great nights sleep. The bed was large and comfortable (two pushed together). The room was large too with good facilities - TV, iron, ironing board, kettle, biscuits, water. A minor gripe was the lack of plugs next to the bed - there was a set of sockets next to the desk. The bathroom was clean but in need of refurbishment, with old fixtures and fittings and a shower that was hot but fiddly to adjust (taps to control hot and cold separately and then mixed together)

With a bit of a refurb in the gym and the rooms that haven't been done yet this hotel would score higher. I'd still stay again though.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank ianedmunds
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Excellent facilities.helpful staff. When we arrived, we wee welcomed and informed that we had been given a complimentary upgrade.

The room was cleaned regularly and the executive room was a high standard. My only complaint was that I had specifically asked for a double bed, but I awoke after my first night to discover that i was lying in a crack. Two twin beds had been zipped together. It took several phone calls and several hours to arrange a move to a room which actually had a double bed in it. This also resulted in a downgrade to a standard room. To be honest this was a high standard anyway. The main differences between standard and executive rooms are 1.extra wardrobe and cupboard space, 2.dressing gown and slippers, 3. superior toiletries and hot drink sachets.

Breakfast was lavish and filling and there was a good variety of choices available. I didn;t use the pool and gym facilities but I had a quick tour and was especially impressed with the jacuzzi and pool. I would definitely return to this hotel again and greatly enjoyed my stay. Customer service was excellent. Staff were polite, friendly and welcoming.

Room Tip: A standard double is excellent quality. Not really worth paying the extra for an executive double.