“Good weekend”

Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Good weekend”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

The description of location must have been written by an estate agent, probably from St. Reatham. Our window looked out over the back of the magistrates court. The room was dark and the cleaners had left a bottle top on the floor. The sofas were great and so was the bed. The hair dryer was not in the room and by the time the porter bought it up it was too late. The air conditioning reminded me of a hotel in Miami in the early 80's, it was deafening.
One of the main reasons for booking the hotel was the restaurant and it delivered. Self service buffet with a good selection so that carnivores, fish eaters and veggies will all be satisfied.
The next morning I was horrified to be woken by a phone call from reception to tell me it was 8.00 am. Needless to say the sweet lady was pleased to confirm that the customer is always wrong.
After breakfast (full marks for this) I shared with the duty manager. We received a bottle of wine and bowl of fruit as an apology. The manager of the restaurant also gave us a complimentary bottle that night.
At breakfast after waiting some time for pancakes to appear the family in front of me emptied the serving dish on arrival. I asked the waitress for pancakes and the chef cooked a couple for me. The restaurant lives up to the standards of service that the hotel aims for.
Coming down in the lift for breakfast there was a porter who summed the hotel up for me. He was dressed smartly in a clean uniform with shoes that appeared to have never been cleaned since purchase, and that certainly was not in the previous week. After this I started ;looking at the feet of employees. If a hotel can't get the little things right then other things will go wrong.
The health club offers really miserable towels, a disappointing changing room, and the Jacuzzi was still cold at midday.
I will be returning to the hotel but please Mr Manager ensure staff: clean their shoes, send up the correct newspapers, clean the rooms properly and when the advertised free toiletries have to be requested look at the labels and get it right.
If I had to sum up the hotel I would say well meaning but sometimes sloppy, which is a lot better than take it or leave it. The restaurant would be well meaning and look forward to seeing you again.

Room Tip: We booked into a club room. The prices aren't high so treat yourself.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tonethrutubes
croydonpark, Front Office Manager at Croydon Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear tonethrutubes

Thanks for leaving us a review here.

All your points and comments are noted and certainly any issue that you raised that can be rectified will be addressed.

Thanks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Landskrona, Sweden
Reviewed March 2, 2013

The first thing that strike me was that the location was pretty much optimal if looking for a place outside London central.

Croydon central station is only 5 min walk away from the hotel, just down the very same street! The trains departure to London Victoria 3-4 times / hour and within 30 min you are in the heart of London. All in all the "door-to-door-time" is less then 40 min.

The hotel was in some cases a bit old stylish but the rooms and common facilities was clean and fresh. The room was of good size with some, according to me, typical 4-star decors: Queen sized beds, bathtub, flat screen TV (although a bit small), water/coffee boiler and so on. The common facilities includes things like spa, gym, swimming pool and saunas.

The surrounding is not bad if you want to skip London for a day. If not taking the local buses it's a 10 min walk until you reach the central part of Croydon with some quite long shopping streets.

All in all this hotel is recommended for anyone that don't see the need to spend an additional 50-100 $ / night just for the sake of living in the central parts of London. In many cases it's also the fact that the general hotel standard is a bit better outside London...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Fredrik J
Dear FredrikJ550

Thanks for leaving us a review here.

Well all in all from your review you had a good stay with us. Hope to see you again soon

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Some of these comment are really uncalled for and over the top.

I spent two nights there and my stay was outstanding.

Booking in at the desk the staff were courteous, i was upgraded to the excutive suite due to a tiny error, the suite and on suite was really immaculate the bed was more than comfty, better than my own bed.

The Oscars Brasserie lay out was really nice, and the quaily of the food was delicious and outstanding the staff there were wonderful there was one that really made our day Mustapha with his excellent service and attentive lovely man.

Breakfast was self service there was so much selecton to choose from.

Lot of fresh fruits yorgurt/Full English/Continental breakfast/ i could go on, there was a lot.

We visit the gym and jacuzzi spa and pool also had time for a massage again the staff were very polite.

Also you couldnt asks for a better location there`s the trams trains and buses,
its about 10min walk into Croyden, theres lots of popular and big Shopping stores, lot of Restaurants there`s Night clubs and cinema and a theatre.

Well we both loved our stay so much its left an impression my husband his decide that he wants to go back for our anniversary.

Well done and keep up the good work

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank M A
Dear MA

Thanks for leaving us a review here.

Wow!!!! thanks for sharing your great experience with the world. 'Oustanding' is a nice word to see in a review.

Your kind comments will be passed on to my colleagues and especailly to Mustapha. Please let me know when you book your stay for your anniversary, so that we can make it even extra special for you and your husband.

Cork
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Booked in for two nights but stayed a third as became familiar with its convenient location for any part of London with, train 20mins to Victoria and X26 bus directly to Heathrow, both, just 3 minutes from the hotel. The reception, bar and restaurant service was faultless, all staff I interacted with being friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was comprehensive, fresh and staff attentive with fresh hot coffee when required. Extremely competitive hotel rates for London. I have already recommended this hotel to many friends who visit London regularly and will use it again myself.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear CorkDanCork

Thanks for leaving us a review here.

I am happy to see that you had a good time with us, so much that you extended your stay. We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Swansea, Wales
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I ended up in Croydon, as i had to go to Dulwich on the Monday.

Stayed 23rd /24th Feb
Well situated for train station (and 15 minutes fast train to London)
Nice Hotel, evening meal ok - but limited buffet and too expensive.
Great Breakfast though. Good Bar, Room well appointed. Ample cheap all day parking.
No Heating and lack of Hot Water for a specific morning made the stay something that will lead me NOT to recommend the Hotel - up to this point was well impressed.
Lack of Apology - EVERYONE in the Hotel we spoke to moaned about the lack of heating/hot water!

I work for a Hotel and appreciate that sometimes things will go wrong- specifically beyond control - but it would not take too much to apologise - even a sign on reception "we apologise for the lack of Hot Water - our maintenance are looking into this" - but to not advise people will lead to guests grumbling amongst themselves.

Room 519 - was a nice room - i can even forgive the building works on the roof as i know work must be done - but why not mention this - we could have planned to go out.

What then happens is a few groans turns into large grumbles and everything that you find wrong will be mentioned - no matter how small.

Being charged for 2 days breakfasts - could be a mistake - but not when you are charged for breakfast for the day you arrive - how could i have breakfast in the morning if i did not arrive until the evening.

Will i be coming back - its a shame, as the Hotel has a lot to offer - i would have come back had it not been the lack of hot water/heating - if it went off in the afternoon/evening i could have accepted it - but first thing in the morning when you need to get up to go out for the day could almost put a dampner on the whole day.

Room Tip: Anything on Level 5 would be good.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear mikeyntracy

Thanks for leaving us a review here.

Firstly I would like to apologise for the inconvenience you encountered with us not having hot water and heating for a couple hours one morning during your stay. This was not a planned course of action, it was unfortunately something that happened beyond our control, but rectified not long after. Non the less I can only imagine the inconvenience.

We would really like if you would give up another chance, so can fully experience the hospitality that we so pride ourselves in giving. As you stated in your review you were impressed with us except for that mishap.

It would be our pleasure to host you again so please let me know when you are coming.

harrogate
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I booked a two night stay, I'm still in the hotel currently in bed thinking about check out tomorrow.
It was a six hour drive to croydon. During check in we asked reception to confirm we were in a twin room. On arrival to the room we discovered it was a double room, so we went back to reception and asked to change. Then on entering the second room we could smell marihuana. We thought it was one of the rooms next door. When we went to reception for the second time asking for another room replacement the night manager argued that we had cost the hotel too much money already. He then laughed at me. I was shocked. Unfortunately it was nearly 2am I couldnt cancel the booking as i had booked via travel republic, or be boThered to find somewhere else to stay. after a very long and exhausting complaint we finally were given a new room.

The rooms are perfectly adequate for the price, showers are not great but at least they are clean.

Breakfast is so so. The hot food is awful, the set up for getting food onto your plate is impossible. I am so looking forward to my cereal tomorrow, not.

I have yet to test the gym, I'm not hoping for much.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank emma h
croydonpark, Front Office Manager at Croydon Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear 54emmah

Your comments are noted.

Unfortunately some of your points were not brought to our attention whilst you were here, which would have given us a chance to fix the problems.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed here for what should have been one night but due to work it became 3.

The staff were all friendly and professional knowing exactly how to pitch their welcome. The room to be fair was a bit "crossroads motel after the fire refurb" but it was that rarity, a smoking room that didn't smell - though if you are going to offer this facility an ashtray or two might be an idea. The room was very clean and the bed comfortable thanks to a very diligent chamber maid. The bar and restaurant are both worth a visit as none of them take the rise on price - indeed the buffet is not to missed as the dining room has the feel of a slightly listing Ocean liner, well complimented by a good wine list and old school service, sadly becoming a rarity. To top it all the management on noticing my ad hoc stay very kindly reduced my bill. Excellent value and service.

Room Tip: Contact the hotel directly - you will find them helpful and honest.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Hobo666
Dear Hobo666

Thanks for leaving us a review here.

I am glad to see that you were so happy with us that you were comfortable enough to extended your stay with us. Your kind words will be passed on to my colleagues and I am sure they will be pleased to hear that they made you happy.

We do look ofrward to welcoming you back soon.