“slightly diappointed”

Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Newcastle, Staffs
“slightly diappointed”
Reviewed March 31, 2011

Travelling with my 12 year old daughter.We were not expecting the Ritz but did expect to get what we had booked and paid for. I booked a twin room about 4 weeks before my planned visit, contacting the hotel by phone to check it was a twin, quiet, no smoking room. I also paid for a deluxe room £105 instead of £85 standard, because I didn't want a connecting door and was informed this was a quieter room on the 4th floor.

On arrival at 5pm I was shown to a double room. The duty manager said he didn't have a twin available and questioned the necessity as I was staying with my daughter! I also bumped into another male guest who was travelling alone with his 14 yr old daughter who had a similar experience.

1 hour later I was shown to a twin room with a view of the railway, which could be heard despite assurances that it could not and a connecting door. Fortunately our neighbours for the night did not disturb us. The deputy manager compensated us by only charging £85.00 the standard room price, which was fair because our room was certainly not deluxe in any interpretation of the word.

The room itself was very tired, dirty bath, marks on the carpet. We had to ask and wait for slippers, dressing gown and a hair dryer.

At the pool (not really big enough to swim in, more of a play pool for children) we were given one worn relatively small towel and rudely informed only one per visitor was allowed. The facilities were basic in the leisure facility and a man came into the ladies changing room whilst we were using them!

The food was good at the buffet but drinks service very slow.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank scfc
croydonpark, Front Office Manager at Croydon Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2011
Dear scfc

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Even though some of it is not positiive we do appreciate your comments as it allows us to make changes and address situation. I will indeed investigate all the concerns you have raised, and I do apologise for the inconveniences you mentioned.

Juanita

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2011

They claim this is a three star hotel... Don't know how they got there three start, it was rather one star...
Very unsafe suburb....

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mikicitizen
Dear mikicitizen

Thanks for taking the time to write a review? Very sorry that you feel the way you do concerning our rating.

I dont quite understand what you meant when you said very unsafe suburb.... The hotel has been here for many years and we have had no incidences with our guests, so I dont quite understand why you would classify it as being unsafe.

However if you came across a particular situation please let me know.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed March 26, 2011

Dirty, noisy and overated place.
I'll never go there again
Suzan

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Hello Suzan

We here at The Croydon Park take these reviews very seriously as they help us to make adjustments in order to enhance the quality of service that we offer.

I have read your comments and would appreciate it if you would inbox me at jbailey@croydonparkhotel.com, giving me some details of your experience,so I can see what adjustments can be done, as I would really like to have you come back to visit us.

Huddersfield
Reviewed March 16, 2011

I have stayed here many times over the past 2 years, probably totalling 6 months. The thing that might put people off is that it is Croydon not central London. But the train station is 2 minutes walk away and the amount you save in terms of a similar hotel in central London is more than the price of a train ticket and it only takes 15 minutes to get to central London.
If you don't fancy the trip into London, Croydon does have plenty of shops, bars and eateries to keep you going.
Parking is supposed to be chargeable, yet I have never been asked to pay yet.
The rooms are of a good standard, I have stayed in both the standard and executive rooms, but I personally prefer the standard rooms. The hotel also offers smoking rooms as well.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
croydonpark, Front Office Manager at Croydon Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2011
Dear Argonaut_1

Thaks for taking the time to leave us a review here.

Thanks for sharing with the world the great experience you have been enjoying over the past two years. The next time you are here I would really like to meet you, so we can have a quick talk, and put a face to this lovely review.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 14, 2011

Recently stay'd with my partner in the hotel. Staff are extremely friendly from Front Desk (Joanna), porter who was on duty on time of arrival and breakfast staff both mornings. We arrived early in the morning and within 15 min our room was ready, even it was 9am in the morning. Our trip to London was a suprise present for my partner's birthday, I was really exsited about the trip and glad i picked Croydon Park Hotel.
Croyon Park Hotel is only 15min away from Gatwick aiport by train and 20 min from London Victoria/London Bridge also by train. Area is very quiet, few supermarkets in Croydon village.
Want thank hotel for welcome we received while stayed in the hotel. Hope to stay there again in future.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Rene198316

Thanks for taking the time to write us a review. I am really excited that you and your partner had such a wonderful time. I will let Joanna and the porter know how much they enhanced your visit.

I hope that we will get the opportunity to welcome you back in the very near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2011

I found this hotel very pleasant. Well located, helpful staff, free internet, comfortable and clean rooms, good choice of tv channels, decent breakfast in the morning. Additionally not expensive.

There are cheaper hotels in Croydon, but the Croydon Park can still be booked for a decent price. As far as Croydon goes, this is one of your better hotels - hence why it costs a bit more.

Ideally located only a few minutes walk from East Croydon train station (where you are 15 minutes travel into London).

An alround pleasant stay - if your willing to pay that little bit extra.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Dear tomybhoymc

Thanks for taking the time to write us a review here.

From your account it seems like you had a great stay with us, and for this I am very pleased. I am glad that we were able to provide all that you stated and I am hoping that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

London
Reviewed March 1, 2011

We stayed in the hotel on Saturday 26th Feb and found it to be very overpriced at £85.00 for a standard room. We checked in late on Saturday afternoon and it was the location that attracted us to this particular hotel. The reception and bar staff were very friendly. There was a stale smell coming from the bar and seating area outside the restaurant which put us off booking a table for dinner. The room was spacious but dated and certainly did not feel particualry clean. The towels could have been bigger and the tea and coffe provisions were very poor. A word of warning though do not go near the breakfast buffet. Apart from the tinned grapefruit segments nothing else was edible and the restaraunt itself is very dark and depressing. The pool area was ok with friendly staff. Parking facilities were good.Location good but that is as far as it goes. I imagine that some time ago this was a 4 star hotel but now it is certainly no more than 3star. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Dear MaudlLondon

Thanks for taking the time to write us a review here.

I must say that I stand by our price that was charged for the room. As you have mentioned, our rooms are spacious, our location is superb, giving you easy access to the local area or Central London, we also have complimentary parking which is a rare thing in Croydon.

Our Restaurant is known for its atmosphere and also for providing great dishes, be it breakfast, lunch or dinner.

I would be moe than happy to meet with you the next time to come to stay with us.