“Two night stay at Hilton Croydon”

Hilton London Croydon
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Two night stay at Hilton Croydon”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed for two nights at the hilton, parking was good and free. Check in was easy and the room was nice and big and clean. Like a few of the other reviewers commented, some refurbishment could be done. The sink had a crack, net curtains had holes in it, stains on the carpet.

The staff were all pleasant, however I do have one gripe with one of the staff. I ordered room service on my first night after arriving late and feeling tired. The woman on the phone at room service 'Katie' was quite abrupt and rude after taking my order. She told me that I should have put that I would be ordering room service when i booked my room....however I had not anticipated that I would be. I understand why she told me, so that payment could be taken automatically from my card. But unfortunately she was rather rude and I didnt really appreciate being spoken to like that. Perhaps management need to re-brief her on how to speak to paying customers!

Room Tip: Ask to place you in a quiet room away from lifts and main roads, especially if you are a light sleep...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
DRHotelManager, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear N V,

Thanks for reviewing the Hotel. I was pleased to be able to make contact with you directly and look in to your concerns. I am sorry that your room service experience put a damper on an otherwise pleasant stay.

From speaking to the team member concerned I am confident that they had not intended to come across in anyway way other than professionally but I am very sorry that the communication was not to expectation.

We recommend that guests give a swipe of their payment card on arrival at the Hotel so that items like room service can be easily charged to your room. I appreciate that you were not anticipating to eat with us, so when answering the call it is important that the team establish a preferred payment method for guests without credit on their room.
I do hope you will return to the Hotel in the near future.

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The bed was creaky
The safe didn't work
The television didn't work
The toilet seat was loose
Overall, not great!
Having worked in hotels, housekeeping should have picked up these issues.
Maybe we were just unlucky with all the issues in the room.
But the room was clean and well presented.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear jklondon_9,

Thanks for reviewing the Hotel. I was disappointed to read that you experienced issues with your room during your stay. You are quite correct that our housekeeping team should pick up issues of this nature.

I am also sorry that we were not aware of the issues during your stay and thus able to put things right. I do however appreciate you taking the time to point this out to us now.

I hope you will return to the Hotel in the future.

Somerset
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I've stayed here before, and have returned, which is a comment in itself.
This hotel deserves better than 4/5, but there is scope for improvement.

It's clean and tidy and the staff are very helpful and friendly. It's well presented and spacious and the facilities are OK - everything works! The bar and restaurant have a good selection and we really enjoyed the food, which was tasty and well presented (though personally I don't get on with the bistro style - more suitable for breakfast). No real ales, but that's a problem with all chain hotels.

If you stay here, I recommend cooked breakfast in the garden centre next door. Not up to the same standard, not good surroundings, but much cheaper and good solid value for money. And no fresh fruit and cereal.

On the downside, some of the rooms need redecorating, maybe, or even refurbishment, but only the fussiest traveller would notice the kind of stuff I do!
It would be useful if the windows opened a bit more, and the A/C was a bit noisy. They could improve by making the Wi-Fi free - also a problem with the chains

Very much positive is the free parking and location.

I'll be back!

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are quiet, but ask for one at the front as far away from the lift as possible.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed just for one night at the hotel and found it to be fairly good value (got discounted rate of around £69). The reception and bar areas are modern and attractive, the bedrooms are a little tired, but still well equipped and a fair size with very comfortable beds. The staff were very friendly and were very efficient in sorting a couple of issues for me, I was very impressed with them. The free parking was also a bonus.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
DRHotelManager, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear drew_uk_007,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am glad that you found it to be fairly good value and staff were very helpful and efficient.

Our aim is to make our guests feel welcome, comfortable and cared for and I am glad we did that for you. Thank you for your feedback regarding our staff, I will be sharing these with all our team members.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Staff communication problems let it down a little, but on the whole the hotel is fine for business and has meeting rooms. I found basic requirements were easy to communicate in the main but some staff members could not understand more detailed conversations in English and therefore had to ask others to assist. Members of my group had very specific dietary requirements and staff dealt with these cheerfully if not skilfully. A gluten free menu consisted of the usual menu with parts deleted in biro for each dish. Waiting staff did not appreciate precisely what dairy free meant. However when it came the food was fine but service rather slow.
The bedroom was clean but some bathroom tiles looked broken or stained. The window did not open and the room was a bit airless. The fan for the air conditioning was very noisy. The shower was very powerful and the toiletries a nice touch. Public are were smart and the breakfast very good indeed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear 391ClaireB,
Thank you for reviewing the Hotel. I am sorry that there appears to of been a communication breakdown during your stay although I was please that the majority was enjoyable.

We pride ourselves on catering for differing dietary needs but in error you were presented with a draft menu. I was pleased to note that you found the team friendly although I have noted your comments regarding dairy free and this is something I will address.

Our bedroom windows do tilt but due to the high nature of the rooms they do not fully open.
Many Thanks

England
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Family, 2 adults and 1 child stayed at the Hilton end of March.
It was a last minute booking and a great deal.
normal guest room with sofa bed. Good size, very comfy bed, good solid walls, good facilities, bathroom needed a re-haul but overall ok with very powerful shower.
Plenty of space to hang clothes.
Short walk to the train station to get the overground train to central London, Victoria station, only approx £8.00 for a travel card 25 minute journey.
Hotel situated right next to retail park which is great as there were a few snack places and a restaurant, a gym, a kids adventure indoor park and a TGI Fridays across road. All within 3 minutes walk.

The only issue we encountered during our stay was some very rude, aggressive and disrespectful guests, who decided to have a party next door to us. when we complained about the noise at 12:40am, reception dealt with the matter very swiftly, but upon the guests leaving next door, they decided to kick our door which caused us some distress.
Breakfast was very nice in very nice surroundings, good selection as always in Hiltons.

We enjoyed our stay apart from the guests who decided to act like imbeciles, it is unusual to encounter louts in Hiltons, but believe these individuals were part of a group excursion load and a one off. This will not put us off Hiltons as the staff were extremely efficient in dealing with the problem.
Couldn't really sleep after that, but beds very comfortable and large.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
DRHotelManager, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Minxxywitch,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to the Hilton Croydon.

I was glad to read that you found everything to your liking and enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry that you had to put up with guests who have no consideration for other guests.

Thank you once again for taking the time and trouble to provide your feedback. I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Hilton Croydon in the near future.

regards
Devon
Reviewed April 17, 2013

The external, reception, lobby & bar area look good. However, get into your room and its in need of a refurb, it looks old, dirty. I stayed in 256 the walls look grim, the furniture had broken bits and looked old. The bed linen had not been ironed! In the top right by the bed on the ceiling there had obviously been a leak at some point and you could see the damp patch.

I had stopped using Hilton because of this issue. Thought I would give them another go and was not best pleased.

On a positive the waiting staff in the morning for breakfast were most friendly and helpful.

Will not be staying again.

Room Tip: Dont have 256.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
DRHotelManager, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Aggett,

Thanks for your recent review. I am sorry that your room experience was not to expectation. Whilst our rooms are not recently refurbished, they should be clean and in great working condition. Clearly that was not your experience with this room. I can see from our maintenance log that there was indeed a leak that required repair. There is no excuse for creased linen. Our linen is serviced on site so this is an area where we aim for exceptional quality. I have discussed this comment with our housekeeper so that appropriate lessons are learned.

I was also disappointed to read that you had previously stopped using Hilton because of issues. Your experience is by no means the norm at Croydon or indeed any other Hilton and I will be contacting you directly to discuss.

Many Thanks