“I'm going to be fair on this one!”

Hilton London Croydon
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“I'm going to be fair on this one!”
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights on a Buisness trip and it is the first time in a while that I used Hilton Hotel Group, overall I was very impressed with reception and the room was ok albeit a little bit dark and I needed to have all the lights on just to do some paperwork,.

Breakfast was superb an excellent selection and I was very pleased to see Porridge as an option.

Now the shocking bit !!!

The Bar and Restaurant prices are unbelievable I nearly fell off my Bar Stool when I was presented with the Bill,

Bar Snacks:
Pie Mash & Beans and a Glass of House Wine £ 22:20 how can they justify those prices ????
But, right next door is a Pub they do a varied menu with Carvery at £ 5:49 :-)
So that's where I ate for the remainder of my stay :-)

Shame really because had the hotel been more realistically priced I would have perhaps spent a bit more time in there!

• Stayed April 2013
DRHotelManager, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Leegee1,

Thanks for your recent review of the Hotel. I am pleased the stay was a pleasant one and that you enjoyed the room and breakfast.

I do appreciate your feedback on the items your bar meal. I cannot find exactly the items you describe but I think you may have selected our £17.50 2 course specials menu and accompanied that with our entry level glass of wine at £5. We have a number of items on the menu that start from as little as £6 with hot main courses starting from £8 so it is possible to eat on a more restricted budget if required. I am sorry that you then ate locally for the remainder of your stay because I am positive that although it is cheaper that will not be anything like comparable in service or quality.

I do appreciate your review and I hope that on the back of the majority of the stay being positive will give us another try when you next stay.

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
West Palm Beach, United States
Reviewed April 5, 2013

This hotel is rather shabby and out-of-the-way if you don't have a car. Food in hotel is good. Staff is friendly apart from Marsha who works in the bar/restaurant. She was so rude that it embarrassed me and my guests who live locally. I expect more from a Hilton. Hallways are littered with room service trays. Room safe didn't work and couldn't be fixed. Would not stay here again when I come to Croydon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

NW UK
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Work took me to South London so I booked in here. Reasonable rates for B&B. Easy to ind location. Lots of room on the car park. Quick easy check in. Room OK. Needs a work lamp on the desk and a fridge would be useful. Clean and tidy, typical Hilton. By a main road but noise was not a problem. Ate in the bar in the evening. Usual Hilton fare. Good omlette. Comfortable bed. Breakfast was good. V friendly staff in all areas. Overall standard Hilton experience, provides OK hotel experience.

Room Tip: I was facing the road away from the lift.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Peter51964
David R, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Peter91564,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Trip Advisor regarding your stay at Hilton Croydon. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from guests.

I was glad whilst reading your comments that you generally enjoyed your stay and found our hotel to be good value for money. Guest comments are shared with all team members to ensure action plans are put in place to resolve issues.

Thank you once again for taking the time and trouble to provide your comments. I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Hilton Croydon in the near future.
Kind regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

For a Hilton hotel I expect the room to be spotless. Unfortunately it was dusty. But a part of this we enjoyed our stay very much. The food in the restaurant is excellent as the service. We certainly will go back if we need to stay in a hotel in Croydon again.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Cherievani,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit to the Hilton Croydon. I am sorry that you found your room to be dusty, our housekeeping department and addressing this issue to avoid a reoccurrence.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you especially enjoyed you meal at our Larder restaurant.

Thank you once again for taking the time to tell us about your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Croydon in the near future.

regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2013

In assessing this hotel (and giving it the highest rating) I have factored in the various key components of my stay here and think it highly deserved.

I booked this hotel as part of the Hilton Sale in the UK (40%) off and booked a Junior Suite with breakfast. In terms of value received I think it a fair rating.

The hotel is easy to find and has ample parking. I have rarely been made to feel so welcome and valued in arriving at the hotel, the receptionist was charming. This theme pervaded through the hotel and all the staff I interacted with; in the bar that evening and in the restaurant the following morning; were affable and professional and a credit to the Brand.

The Suite comprised one enormous room....one end the sleeping area and the other the living area with sofa and armchairs, table, chairs desk. In size, the bed matched the enormity of the room...the bathroom was fine with a walk in shower cubicle as well as a bath.

Breakfast was the usual Hilton fare, well done and much enjoyed; a decent choice and the dining room was very well laid out and impressive.

I would point out that this was possibly the cleanest hotel i have ever stayed in, it gleamed, particularly the room and the dining room.

I can only say that this hotel exceeded expectations on every level and for the price I paid represented both exceptional and superb value.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank jcolesw2
DRHotelManager, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear jcolesw2,

Many thanks for your scientifically calculated review of the Hotel. Naturally, I am delighted to read of your experience and will be sharing this and all other feedback we receive with the team.

Clearly from your profile you are well travelled and experience a number of hotels so the positive feedback is especially pleasing.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you next visit London.

kent
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed one night at this hotel. Room large with kingsize bed. Good facilities - iron, ironing board, fridge, kettle etc but decor needs attention. Furniture has seen better days and bathrooms need updating. Nice soft bath sheets and towels. Staff on reception extremely helpful after reporting a couple of things in our son's room (phone missing!! and safe locked).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
David R, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Lindyloukent,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel regarding your recent stay. Your observations and opinions are appreciated as they enable us to assess the standard of our facilities and services and monitor if we are meeting guests’ needs and expectations.

Thank you also for your kind comments regarding our staff, our aim is for guests to enjoy their stay and leave wanting to return. Regarding the furniture and bathroom updating mentioned in your review, they are being addressed by our Maintenance department, who continue to prioritise major works/repairs as we work our way through the hotel dealing with the issues requiring attention. As I am sure you can appreciate this does take time and I am confident we will succeed in keeping up our services and standards here at the Hilton Croydon.

Thank you once again for taking the time and trouble to provide your comments. I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Hilton Croydon in the future

Yours sincerely,

David Rowley
Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

stayed at this hotel as I had to attend a conference in London. Was swept away by the brand name and cheapness of the junior suites. When I arrived I realised why. On opening the room it was an enormous size with a tiny window and smell of stale smoke and an underlying non fresh smell. The pictures do not convey the sparseness of the room but overall I felt disapointed for a suite regardless of price. Especially given the fact only the weekend before we had stayed in an Executive room at Manchesters Deansgate Hilton which was beautiful. The reception changed us to a standard room for 1 night as all other suites were in use. This was actually way nicer confirmed by the fact the next day when we were given another Junior Suite which basically was a carbon copy of the first and still had a funny smell but not cigarettes this time. See the photos, definitely needs a refit and a re think.

• Stayed February 2013
David R, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Georgiep99,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

I do apologise for the issue with the stained carpet, our Maintenance team have now rectified the issue.

Yours sincerely,