“Mediocre wedding reception”

Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Croydon
London
“Mediocre wedding reception”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We started planning our wedding reception in January. The events coordinator Rebecca couldn't manage to understand our requirements and so after a meeting general manager who understood exactly what it was we were handed us back to Rebecca.

Being the meticulous person I am, albeit slightly anal about having everything in writing I made sure every discussion I had with Rebecca was documented.

Everything was planned and the agenda for the evening was set. I was offered the venue from the night before and although this was not required I agreed (in writing by Rebecca) I would come to decorate the venue from mid-day. I was told this was 'perfect!' On the day we arrived and 1pm to find that there was another wedding taking place! It had been double booked. What a panic!

Fortunately the duty manager was on the ball and really helped clear the venue as soon as possible, and she coordinated it perfectly! She listed to our agenda and corrected some mistakes (again!).

The food was amazing, compliments to the chef!

The resident DJ was great! Everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

Overall, good, but I would go over things with Rebecca 1000 if you want things to be perfect!

I spoke with the general manager Danielle after the event and she was very understanding. We were compensated well too, which although didn't take away what happened on our special day, it was a very nice and welcome gesture.

The cleaning staff are great too, and the hotel is generally tidy in appearance.

Would I organise another 'special' party here? Probably not. Although the food was nice - I'd be tempted!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank lauzjayc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Polish first
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2013

We stayed for one night when attending a Christmas party. Our room was nice enough but it seemed a bit strange to have to turn 180 degrees to reach the toilet paper dispenser from the toilet and I had the usual unable to dry one half of my hair and look in the mirror at the same time! Also no quilts on the beds, just sheets and blankets which took me back to my early childhood! The food at the Christmas event was absolutely rubbish apart from the starters, the main meal arrived looking like ti had been plated by a 3 year old and was stone cold, the Christmas pudding was the same but a bit congealed, we didn't complain as such (apart from to get the main meal exchanged for a slightly warmer one!) as we weren't paying for the meal but it does rate as the worst Xmas meal I have ever had the misfortune to be served. In fact we went to our local Wetherspoons two days later and paid 80% less and had a far better meal!!

Room Tip: There is a nice looking Hilton across the road!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Samiloupepperell
Reviewed December 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed here over the weekend of 7th - 8th December. We usually stay at the Hilton across the road but decided to try the Aerodrome for a change. We arrived to check in late (9.45pm) and we were welcomed with a smile. There was a function on and we were worried that we would be disturbed by the noise. I asked if there was a 'quiet room' available as we had been travelling for most of the day. The gentleman explained that as we were 'later arrivals' it would be difficult to get a quiet room. We said we understood. However he said we looked tired and he would see what he could do. After a few moments he said that we could have a room on the top floor but it was a 'disabled room' . We accepted gratefully and we were NOT disappointed. There was NO noise whatsoever. The room was large and clean. The bathroom was immaculate. There was a large supply of tea and coffee with lovely 'dunking' biscuits! We had a peaceful nights sleep in a lovely comfy bed.
The following morning we were again greeted with a smile and shown to our breakfast table. The choice at breakfast was large and the staff were helpful. Our second night was as peaceful as our first and we have booked our next trip in February to see our Grandson and have again booked to stay at the Aerodrome. Thankyou to all the staff. You now have 2 very satisfied visitors and we shall certainly use this hotel in future.

• Stayed December 2013
Wallsend,England.
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I was booked into this hotel for 1 night through work and on pulling into the car park was a bit apprehensive as it looked a bit too upmarket for me but as I walked through the doors my concerns where immediately put at ease. I detected a very relaxed atmosphere as soon as I walked into the place which is great. I was booked in straight away by a very helpful young lady and was in my room within five minutes of walking through the doors. The room was big and done out in very relaxing colours, The bed was huge and the tv was excellent.I realy enjoyed a relaxing stay at this hotel and would certainly recommend it to others.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Stayed here after getting a last minute deal online. The hotel has been refurbished recently and is all dressed up for xmas, so the reception/bar brasserie area is of a high standard. The staff at reception were helpful and welcoming. Was very easy to find our room - we stayed on the 1st floor facing the main road. At first I was a bit apprehensive of this because of the traffic but we actually had a really peaceful night. The room was a small double but clean, modern and well equipped - LCD TV, complimentary tea and coffee, biscuits and toiletries. We stayed on a room only basis so can't comment on the food, but walked through the brasserie downstairs at breakfast time and it did smell good! They also do room service and there was a little coffee table in the room if you didn't want to go down. There are a number of restaurants along the same road - TGI, Pizza Hut and some others for during the day. All in all, I would say great value for money - was a nice break and would definitely return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I took my three daughters for afternoon tea and we were extremely disappointed. The platter consisted of horseradish and beef (yes that way round as their was more horseradish than beef ) and ham and mustard curled up finger sandwhiches...tasteless and not appropriate, you would normally expect smoked salmon or egg and cress at tea time. We had stale Danish pastries and black forest gateau (very 80's). The best part was the scones but again they should have served the jam and cream separately, not plonked it on top of the scone!

It is such a shame as the hotel has obviously been refurbished and is decorated very tastefully, also the staff were polite and friendly

.One other thing lacking is atmosphere,we were the only four people sitting in a very large restaurant. Won't be rushing back !!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Margaret504167
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

Very deceptive as it looks very nice from outside but on the inside it not as comfortable. The rooms are very dated. The beds uncomfortable and rooms very small in size. Breakfast was fair but very dried up and stale. Price for room was reasonable but after staying for long periods it became uncomfortable.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank sean b
Danielle T, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Croydon Aerodrome, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thank you for your review. I am surprised that you felt that our rooms are dated as they have all had a refurbishment in the past 2 years to a very high standard. I have taken on board you comments regarding our breakfast and have addressed this with our chef. If you are in the area again I would be happy show you around to show you our various room types.