“nice hotel but choose a quiet room”

Hallmark Hotel Croydon Aerodrome
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Southport, United Kingdom
“nice hotel but choose a quiet room”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

very nice staff but i did book a room months in advance and asked for a quiet room; it had air conditioning units just outside. the hotel offered me 2 other rooms, both superior in comfort and chose 1 at the side as the hotel was full; we slept from 10pm until 5am when the industrial park behind wasnt busy. nice room and good breakfast with excellent choice of coffees. staff were very helpful but we didnt want another room change !!

Room Tip: choose a back room and upgrade from standard
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Danielle T, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Croydon Aerodrome, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Thank you for your lovely feedback and I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you felt you were well looked after. I am also glad to hear you enjoyed your breakfast and we look forward to helping you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Great friendly hotel, staff especially helpful and obliging. Great bar and restaurant areas, lots of nationalities visiting. Rooms clean and adequate, bathrooms may be due for update but couldn't fault cleanliness and convenience. Hotels now asking for credit card details during stay but only required if charging services to room, prefer to avoid this and pay cash unless on business expenses. Paid £101 with breakfast, room for 2, which I thought to be reasonable was not expecting 5 star luxury.

Room Tip: any problems say something, staff are excellent.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Danielle T, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Croydon Aerodrome, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you for your positive review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the staff to be helpful and friendly. It is also great to hear that you enjoyed our bar and restaurant offerings. We look forward to welcoming you back sometime.
Horsham, UK
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I stayed one night on a business trip. When I first checked in I found my single room had a noisy A/C unit for one of the public areas right outside my window (room no.9). Since there was no A/C in the room the window had to be open to get any air and cooling, so there was not chance I would be able to sleep. When I told reception the manageress dealt with this straight away and gave me a different room which was much better. My dissatisfaction was instantly transformed to satisfaction - this is good service. Reception also lent me an electrical adapter my colleague needed; they were very helpful. The restaurant food was very good, and the breakfast was excellent, especially the good strong coffee and hot food. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Avoid room 9. Rooms on the road side may be noisy (my colleague had one which he said was a bit nois...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review, I am very happy to hear that the initial problem you had with your room was rectified efficiently and that our reception team looked after you so well. Again thank you for your positive reviews and constructive comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
North Yorkshire
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I've stayed at The Hallmark several times but have noted a recent decline. This week's trip was fraught with problems and this will probably be the last straw.

There are some positives, the reception staff are always welcoming and check-in is usually quite swift. However, getting to reception was a challenge - when I arrived there were around 15 smokers at the door (from a conference) and pushing past them, and their cloud of smoke was rather a challenge. Their smoke had drifted into the hotel so it smelled like people had been smoking inside. There should be a designated smoking area, preferably in the middle of the dual carriageway, the use of which management should enforce.

The lift was out of order when I arrived so you can imagine my joy at having a room on the 4th floor with 2 heavy bags. No offer of help was made. Also, and very annoyingly, the wifi only worked sporadically in my room - wifi is such a basic requirement and in the past I've had issues with it.

I opted to eat in the dinning room and this was a dire experience. The main problem was there was no one in charge. I stood a good 5 minutes waiting to be seated and gave up in the end and just sat down. After a long wait my order was taken but the food took ages to come. The steak was grim, served on an old bread board with about 9 chips and some tinned mushrooms. There was no one managing the staff so consequently it was chaos - many fellow diners were disgruntled at the poor service.

It's a pity that the management of this place is so poor - it could be a really good hotel. It seems management used to comment on Trip Advisor reviews but it's clear they've given up now as there is a tendency towards negative reviews. Clearly the truth hurts.

Room Tip: Pick a room in another hotel!
3 Thank alanyorks
Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you found our reception team to be friendly and prompt. I am sorry to hear though that your overall experience was not up to our usual high standards. I have taken on board your comments on the smoking outside the front door, this area is now a none smoking area and we have built a designated smoking shelter to the side of the hotel. We did unfortunately have a problem with the lift but it was fixed as quick as possible. I have also addressed your feedback regarding your dining experience and have spoken to our restaurant team and rectified these issues. if you are in the area again I would really like if you would contact me directly, as I hope you will give us a chance to improve your impression of the hotel.
Mgarr, Malta
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Everything was really good, apart from the fact that they put us in a small room and having just got back from the US with 4 large suitcases space was very limited. It made getting for a wedding a little difficult for us.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SallyDodge57
Danielle T, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Croydon Aerodrome, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for your positive review and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed you say with us. We do have several room types to choose from and our reservations team would be delighted to explain these to you should you be staying with us. We hope to welcome you back some time in the future.
Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Stayed 2 nights on business. Initially they couldn't find my booking.... I had to go out to my car, retrieve my Laptop, show them the PDF booking confirmation, it was employee error on their part....they got the dates wrong???? No apology, and I had to also send them the PDF by e-mail that they sent as booking confirmation originally, work that one out?

I booked a total of 7 rooms, all small but well enough appointed. Poor Bar service, Poor food service.... I ordered for a colleague and myself, he had finished his food before after much prompting from myself, mine arrived??? It took 45 mins for his to arrive and 1 hour for mine!

Breakfast is poor, limited table space and more than 1 foodstuff is under each hotplate cover..... Scrambled eggs side by side with baked beans under the same shared warmer....there were beans in the egg and egg in the beans. This description probably doesn't demonstrate how awful it looked but I ate neither of them as it looked terrible!

In summary, this is a very poorly run hotel. The actual hotel if run properly would probably deserve 3 1/2 - 4 as a rating for an overnight business stay. To tout it as a couples place or weeding venue, they are having a laugh.

2 Thank Ken P
Thank you for taking the time and providing us with your feedback. I am disappointed to hear that we failed to deliver great customer care and service on this occasion. I can assure that we strive to on delivering high levels of customer care and service. I will be investigating the Points that you have raised and will be addressing with the team. Please accept my apologies for the problems you encountered. Pease feel free to contact me directly should you wish to discuss these matters further.
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I have been coming to this hotel for 6 years now, generally because it is better than premier inn for cost, bar and food. I know some of the staff, and have spent many an hour sitting in the bar watching the day to day goings on. On my recent trips, all I hear is complaints - long waits, rudeness, lack of care for the customer. There are times when you could die of thirst or starvation - not enough staff, and not enough staff who care about the CUSTOMER. Just a big business process hotel - scratch the surface and it is all about cost efficiency. This is such a shame compared to what it was - a privately owned shabby hotel with personal touch, now renovated to look good, but scratch the surface...........corporate just for profit vehicle which just checks occupancy versus cost.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank JonCoo
Thank you for your review, I am sorry to hear that you have not enjoyed your recent stay. As a valued and loyal customer I would really like if you could contact me directly to discuss you points.