“A few little things bring down the experience.”

Hallmark Hotel Croydon Aerodrome
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
“A few little things bring down the experience.”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stayed here on business two out of three nights (tues and thurs, weds I was elsewhere) the first room I had was lovely, in the refurbished wing, airy, light and generally very nice on the face of it. although there were some issues I had, some may say that I am being picky, but they really annoyed me.
1.) no plug in the sink (and some broken glass down the plug hole) - made it difficult to shave, ended up using the iron filling jug as a plug!
2.) no chain on the bath plug, it actually made it almost IMPOSSIBLE to remove the plug! Ended up using two bath/lotion bottles as pliers to remove the plug - I shouldn't be having to do that.
3.) The bath overflow was rusted through.
4.) The main light bulb was not working
5.) the kettle was all scaled up.

BASICALLY for the sake of a few pounds, literally it could all be sorted with change from a tenner, I am leaving a three star review, rectify these issues and it would be a 5/5 from me.

More info:
Plenty of parking, but it gets very full in the evening.
Ask to be in the refurbished wing, it's 100 times better and has air con, on my second night I was put in the old block, went straight down to reception and got moved to the last room in the new block (A twin room, but still preferable)
Breakfast is pretty good actually.
House keeping are great, the room was spotless.

Conclusion.
Housekeeping 5/5
Front of house 4/5
Maintenance 2/5 - get your finger out!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask to be in the refurbished wing, I can't stress this enough! Also the back of th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jnoosh
Danielle T, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Croydon Aerodrome, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and providing us with your feedback.

I am sorry that you experienced some maintenance issues during your last stay with us. I appreciate your comments and they have all been addressed with our Maintenance department. I hope you will consider using us again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Polish first
Cheshire
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have stayed here several times recently and have been won over by its better than average decor, facilities and location. It is easily found, being just off the Purley Way and no problems with parking whatever time you arrive. I have tried several hotels in the area including the Premier Inn just over the road but this is the best by far. The rooms are nicely furnished, if a bit small and always feel clean. The food is OK but not amazing! The hotel has a great history being the place Amy Johnson stayed before her historic flight, great photos throughout the building give the hotel a bit of real interest. Croydon can be a scary place after dark but I always feel safe and happy in the Hallmark. The only downside is the fact that the hotel is the preferred venue for BT trainees, who are mostly young men with no idea how to behave in a public place! However, someone must have had a word with them as last time I stayed they (a different group) were noticeably better behaved! I like the Hallmark and will certainly return when next in Croydon.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CheshireJosephine
Thank you for your valued comments and am happy to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on mamy occasions hotel is nice and staff r friendly bit take to long at reception. On one occasion I had a double room yet it was smaller than any room iv stayed in before. Bar over priced.

• Stayed February 2013
Danielle T, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Croydon Aerodrome, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for your recent review, I am happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff to be polite and friendly. I relation to the bar prices I am sorry to hear that you feel that it is over priced, I can assure that our bar prices are in line with all our competitors in the area.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I paid a very good price for a hotel on the outskirts of london and given the surface comparison of facilities and prices against a premier inn or travelodge, this would win hands down. However not is all is what it seems. The staff are poorly trained unmotivated and definitely unsupervised.

They are classically the result of a a management system which pays too little, expects too little, and gets too little.

The positives: It seemed clean, newly refurbished and the design wasn't bad for the price I paid £50 per night. But the full price!!!!!!!!!1

Parking if you come by car is probably very good unless they have a function. Public Transport is great

Can't Rate - The food I didn't eat any.

Negatives - Completely understaffed - unfriendly unresponsive staff - poor information - check out time supposedly 11 am. We heard room cleaner trying to clear someone out of their room at 9am. Half an hour to get served at the bar with approximately 10 people max in the bar. This sort of service was not one night but both night we stayed. Bed was extremely uncomfortable and room was claustrophobic. Outside it was approx 14 degrees. We had the fan on all night full blast windows and curtains wide open and were completely naked apart from a sheet. What would this room be like if london is warm?

Room Tip: choose one with an external aspect for the airflow
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank good-food-990
Thank you for taking the time and providing us with your feedback.

I am disappointed to read that we failed to deliver great customer service on this occasion. I can assure you that we strive on delivering high standards of customer care & service. I will investigate the points you have raised thoroughly and will discuss your feedback with the team
In regards to the location I am happy to hear that transport links were ideal for your travels. the next time you are looking to stay in the area please contact me directly, as we would like the opportunity to change your opinion of our hotel.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I am a seasoned business traveller and have had some poor hotel experiences but my stay at the Hallmark in Croydon is truly the worst I have ever had. On arrival, there was no record of my reservation, so I spent the next half hour finding my email confirmation my Company had arranged. When I showed this to the guy on reception, it was still insufficient, I then had to send it but their hotel wifi did not work! Finally made it to my very small room on the main road - terrific! Had a shower after a long trip - it was freezing cold!

I went for dinner later on, the restaurant was uncomfortably hot and waited half an hr....for bread and dips! There was what appeared to be a school/college dinner dance going on in one of the function rooms which clearly were more of a priority than the guests. I had to keep chasing the one barman/waiter for my food, which when it came was very average, especially for the price. Pork belly was bland, and overcooked, although it was probably sat ages waiting for someone to deliver it to me. Similarly, my dessert of apple pie was poor; lumpy custard and rubbery apple pie.

After dinner I went to ask the same rude receptionist if I could order breakfast in my room as on a weekend it's served 8-10 when I had to be at my customer site. He refused. I chanced it anyway placing my order on the door for 7-7.15. Of course it did not arrive so I went to breakfast early in the hope I might get something before I had to go. Despite being sat down "first", the waitress asked a couple who arrived after me if they wanted tea/coffee. When she finally came and asked me, and took my room number, she mentioned my room service order had gone...40 minutes after I requested it!

Then when I checked out early (I'd had enough and luckily work finished early), I was given a rant by the cleaner who had "just cleaned my room, and why hadn't I told her I was leaving?". Absolutely shocking service, by far the worst ever I have seen in a hotel!

Next problem was breakfast on a weekend is 8-10, I had to be at my place of work for 8, he said room service could not be arranged!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank Simon C
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed here for three nights at the end of our three week stay in England. The hotel is clean and well presented. Our room was very small, the bathroom tiny. But it was cheap via Lastminute.com at 80 per night. The one thing we found was the greeting on arrival was not warm, no smiles, the bar staff the same. Almost a going through the motions sort of experience. In the restaurant we ordered garlic bread and received dipping bread. Asked for a soup spoon and received a dessert spoon. The food however was good, the creamy garlic mussels superb. Breakfast also is brilliant. One thing is the hotel is a favourite with workers and had 10 to 15 vans parked there every night. So the bar and restaurant was busy at night . We enjoyed the hotels position as for 7 pound in a taxi to East Croydon train station and a 8.90 day ticket for six zones of travel on the rail/Underground and buses. It was easy to get around London. East Croydon to Victoria is just 15 minutes on the train. It certainly beats paying London hotel prices. Good value hotel, the staff just need to smile and make you feel welcome.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bigcol1
Danielle T, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Croydon Aerodrome, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for your review, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your evening meal and breakfast with us and that our location was ideal for your visits to London. Thank you for your feedback regarding you welcome and service, this is certainly not up to our usual high standards.
If you are ever in the area again please contact me directly and we would love the opportunity to change your opinion.