“Being generous”

Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Being generous”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I paid a very good price for a hotel on the outskirts of london and given the surface comparison of facilities and prices against a premier inn or travelodge, this would win hands down. However not is all is what it seems. The staff are poorly trained unmotivated and definitely unsupervised.

They are classically the result of a a management system which pays too little, expects too little, and gets too little.

The positives: It seemed clean, newly refurbished and the design wasn't bad for the price I paid £50 per night. But the full price!!!!!!!!!1

Parking if you come by car is probably very good unless they have a function. Public Transport is great

Can't Rate - The food I didn't eat any.

Negatives - Completely understaffed - unfriendly unresponsive staff - poor information - check out time supposedly 11 am. We heard room cleaner trying to clear someone out of their room at 9am. Half an hour to get served at the bar with approximately 10 people max in the bar. This sort of service was not one night but both night we stayed. Bed was extremely uncomfortable and room was claustrophobic. Outside it was approx 14 degrees. We had the fan on all night full blast windows and curtains wide open and were completely naked apart from a sheet. What would this room be like if london is warm?

Room Tip: choose one with an external aspect for the airflow
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank good-food-990
Danielle T, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Croydon Aerodrome, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and providing us with your feedback.

I am disappointed to read that we failed to deliver great customer service on this occasion. I can assure you that we strive on delivering high standards of customer care & service. I will investigate the points you have raised thoroughly and will discuss your feedback with the team
In regards to the location I am happy to hear that transport links were ideal for your travels. the next time you are looking to stay in the area please contact me directly, as we would like the opportunity to change your opinion of our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Polish first
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I am a seasoned business traveller and have had some poor hotel experiences but my stay at the Hallmark in Croydon is truly the worst I have ever had. On arrival, there was no record of my reservation, so I spent the next half hour finding my email confirmation my Company had arranged. When I showed this to the guy on reception, it was still insufficient, I then had to send it but their hotel wifi did not work! Finally made it to my very small room on the main road - terrific! Had a shower after a long trip - it was freezing cold!

I went for dinner later on, the restaurant was uncomfortably hot and waited half an hr....for bread and dips! There was what appeared to be a school/college dinner dance going on in one of the function rooms which clearly were more of a priority than the guests. I had to keep chasing the one barman/waiter for my food, which when it came was very average, especially for the price. Pork belly was bland, and overcooked, although it was probably sat ages waiting for someone to deliver it to me. Similarly, my dessert of apple pie was poor; lumpy custard and rubbery apple pie.

After dinner I went to ask the same rude receptionist if I could order breakfast in my room as on a weekend it's served 8-10 when I had to be at my customer site. He refused. I chanced it anyway placing my order on the door for 7-7.15. Of course it did not arrive so I went to breakfast early in the hope I might get something before I had to go. Despite being sat down "first", the waitress asked a couple who arrived after me if they wanted tea/coffee. When she finally came and asked me, and took my room number, she mentioned my room service order had gone...40 minutes after I requested it!

Then when I checked out early (I'd had enough and luckily work finished early), I was given a rant by the cleaner who had "just cleaned my room, and why hadn't I told her I was leaving?". Absolutely shocking service, by far the worst ever I have seen in a hotel!

Next problem was breakfast on a weekend is 8-10, I had to be at my place of work for 8, he said room service could not be arranged!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank Simon C
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed here for three nights at the end of our three week stay in England. The hotel is clean and well presented. Our room was very small, the bathroom tiny. But it was cheap via Lastminute.com at 80 per night. The one thing we found was the greeting on arrival was not warm, no smiles, the bar staff the same. Almost a going through the motions sort of experience. In the restaurant we ordered garlic bread and received dipping bread. Asked for a soup spoon and received a dessert spoon. The food however was good, the creamy garlic mussels superb. Breakfast also is brilliant. One thing is the hotel is a favourite with workers and had 10 to 15 vans parked there every night. So the bar and restaurant was busy at night . We enjoyed the hotels position as for 7 pound in a taxi to East Croydon train station and a 8.90 day ticket for six zones of travel on the rail/Underground and buses. It was easy to get around London. East Croydon to Victoria is just 15 minutes on the train. It certainly beats paying London hotel prices. Good value hotel, the staff just need to smile and make you feel welcome.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bigcol1
Danielle T, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Croydon Aerodrome, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for your review, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your evening meal and breakfast with us and that our location was ideal for your visits to London. Thank you for your feedback regarding you welcome and service, this is certainly not up to our usual high standards.
If you are ever in the area again please contact me directly and we would love the opportunity to change your opinion.
Surrey
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed 4 nights in May. Our bedroom was very clean, spacious and modern. We requested a room at the back which was very quiet and we had a good night sleep. The location is great, away from traffic and have their own parking. The Hotel offers free entrance to a gym 5 minutes away, with swimming pool and squash courts. This was the best hotel we stayed in Croydon.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back not facing the road.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Danielle T, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Croydon Aerodrome, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the use of the leisure facilities next door. I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hallmark Hotel sometime in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 1 night in this hotel after late arrival .Hotel has own free car park . Easy to find as right on Purley way. Check In desk was open 24 hours. Easy to check in. Room was comfortable. Iron and board a plus. LCD tv. Hotel also has wifi but didn't use.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your valued comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Business Trip
Posted08 June 2013
Lots to like. Room was comfortable and clean. However it was warm and it was impossible to sleep with the window open due to traffic noise. It's on a busy road. Plenty of free parking and also free Internet. Food good. Only complaint and it's a serious one, a member of staff saw fit to phone my room late in the evening over a query with charging my evening meal to the room. Woke me up and insisted I got dressed and came to reception to sort it out. Really! How dare they wake a guest like that? I refused and there were no issues with paying on check out. Very unamused at being woken up and ordered out of bed. Zero for customer care and satisfaction.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank HMac186338
Thank you for your review and I am glad to hear that you were happy with the standard of our rooms and that you think there is lots to like about the hotel. Please accept my apologies if somebody rang your room late at night, I will certainly be investigating this. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly the next time you are staying in the Croydon area and I will ensure you are well looked after.