“Our new "go to" Indian restaurant.”
Review of Sangri

Sangri
Ranked #51 of 504 Restaurants in Croydon
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Went to Sangri early on a Saturday. We were the first through the door at 17.30 & were the only people there for the duration of our stay but as we’d been in the pub for a couple of hours we created our own atmosphere jigging around to the pleasant, upbeat & non intrusive music. The décor is very nice & the chairs are lovely & comfy. Poppadums for an appetiser (My husband tried to order 6 but we settled on two!) with all the usual accompaniments, the mango chutney was lovely & smooth which is the way I like it.
The menu is fairly large with all the usual curries you expect as well as house specials, various grills & also a daily specials menu. A good variety & very well priced.
We had the mixed starter for 2 which was all very tasty, the standouts for me were the onion bhajis which were crispy & delicious & the chicken tikka.
For mains my husband had something off the specials menu which I cannot even begin to spell! And I had the Lamb shashlick. His dish was lovely, just the right amount of spice & the rice was perfectly cooked & fluffy. The sauce went lovely with the naan breads we ordered & as there was so much of it we had lots left for dipping. I was a little disappointed with my lamb dish but this was more of a case of me ordering the wrong thing than anything actually wrong with the dish, the lamb was well cooked & the flavours were very good it certainly wasn’t horrible, just not what I was expecting (I’m reasonably inexperienced with Indian food) & I prefer my veggies cooked a little more. Lesson learned, & my own mistake, I’ll be having something with sauce next time!
Dinner was accompanied with a beer for my husband & a large glass of very pleasant house white for me. All together it was just over £50 which is pretty good.
We’re slowly building up a network of favourite restaurants in Croydon & Sangri is now our Indian of choice, I don’t see a reason to go anywhere else.

(I've only given 3 stars for atmosphere as we were the only people there so hard to tell!)

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Since discovering this restaurant about 5 years ago we have become regulars & it is our favourite Indian restaurant. The menu is a cut above your average curry house with wonderful speciality dishes & specials. We have always been pleased with the lovely atmosphere, delicious, perfectly cooked food & friendly, welcoming staff. A wonderful dining experience.

1  Thank Hansen82
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Compared with so many curry houses this is a bit different. Modern interior, relatively decent music and a small ambiance makes for a good choice. Menu has some classics of South Asian cuisine but also a lot of specials and unique dishes which make this a good place if you're after more than just a Friday night main, rice and poppadom meu (thought this is available). Portions aren't massive but are well cooked, presented and served (my friend's lamb dish was served on a plate with a chilli shape made from mint purée) and the service was pretty quick. Fact is it was 3/4 full at 9pm om a Thursday. A good sign.

Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is brilliant. Have been using this place for 3 years now. Takeaway is lovely and used most weeks. Even nicer eating in. Whenever we have guests to stay, we always go here and everyone comments on how great it is! Really good food, great service and a pleasant experience all round.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We have visited Sangri many times, we do like to try different restaurants so did go a few months without visiting, but have never had the same experience so back we went to Sangri, I do wonder sometimes what people are used to when they give this place a bad review, as the staff bend over backwards to help and correct if wrong, the food is always to a high standard, and combined with efficient friendly staff, means an unbeatable experience!