“An unexpected disappointment”

Ranked #4 of 474 Restaurants in Croydon
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Bus stop outside serving multiple bus routes. 5 minute walk from South Croydon train station.
Description: CR0 1BF
Caterham, United Kingdom
“An unexpected disappointment”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I booked online, several weeks ahead, to take my wife out for a lovely dinner for St Valentine's Day, having been to this restaurant on several previous occasions and always been delighted. When we arrived at the restaurant it was disappointing to find out only then that there was only a set 'Tasting Menu' that night, and no A La Carte. We chose the Vegetarian Tasting Menu (full marks for having at least that as an alternative), which looked very enticing. The first course of cheese souffle was superb; as it turned out, the best course of the night. The second course was an artichoke and red onion filo pastry tart with boiled quail's eggs; looked nice, but the pastry was very heavy and greasy, and neither my wife nor I could eat too much of it. The third course was a creamy leek, Jerusalem artichoke and potato dish; quite tasty, but too much after the pastry tart. Then a fourth course of roasted root vegetable pie; more pastry, short crust this time, but it floored us and we left most of it. We declined the chocolate dessert, neither of us feeling we could carry on! On the big plus side are the staff, who are really nice and clearly well-trained and willing to do anything for you. But the 'Tasting Menu' as the only option just wasn't right for this evening, and was overdone in quantity, and too much greasy pastry. Not quite the wonderful dining experience we were expecting.

1 Thank Geoff W

Bromley, United Kingdom
“A top class restaurant for a moderate price”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This was our 2nd visit to this fabulous restaurant in South Croydon. The Chef and restaurant should have a Michelin star. The food and service is every bit as excellent as Chapter One in Bromley. The wine list is extensive and moderately priced. We chose a Malbec from Argentina priced at £19. The menu is fixed price and can be viewed online. Everything is cooked perfectly and the service excellent. This is a fairly small restaurant and you do need to book.
Thank you to the young and attentive staff.
That Michelin star can't be far off!

Liverpool, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very Good!”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Me and my fiancé came her while we stayed in Croydon for a couple of days, we looked on trip advisor and found that this had the best reviews and I can see why, the food was absolute quality, highly recommend the beef, my fiancé had pheasant and she really enjoyed hers too. Edward who I think was the manager in there was a really nice, helpful fella and knew his stuff, especially when it came to wine, whiskey and brandy. Nothing was too much trouble for him, he was really professional and really helpful.
I never really put reviews up to be honest but I felt as though this restaurant really did deserve a good review, when we first sat down we were a little bit dubious about the menu, there isn’t a whole lot to choose from and I can understand why some people may feel a bit unsure of what to get, especially for the inexperienced diner, we were even thinking of getting up and leaving and trying somewhere else, and one couple did do that while we were there, but I’m glad we stayed, as I’ve said the food is to a really high quality and just the right amount. If you’re thinking about eating here then just do it, you will not be disappointed.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Brian_Lynne
London, United Kingdom
“Consistently excellent cooking”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Our third visit - and the food was better than ever. Delightful gougeres as an amuse bouche. Fish soup with salt cod ravioli and scallops was delicious and very well judged. The menu is kept up to date online. I'd have liked some more cherries in my eclair..but really, I'd have like more of everything. Jerusalem artichoke and salsify hotpot was a little over creamy, but shows how vegetarian options are taken seriously. Service was a substantial improvement on previous visits - with a more experienced staff eager to please rather than nervous to approach.

There are two rooms, and the one we've always been in (the one you enter) is a bit on the cool side. A difficulty is that tables are all along either wall, because there needs to be a 'corridor' to get people to the other room. The pictures on the wall aren't great, and there's a bit of a no man's land at the entrance end. But this is a very minor complaint about an exceptional and shining beacon!

• Visited January 2013
Singapore, Singapore
“Relaxing evening, good food and service”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We have previously been to this restaurant although the last time was some time ago. My wife and I took a friend for dinner and were welcomed by friendly staff. There is a fixed price menu with a good variety for all three courses and a good choice of wines.
The tables in the restaurant are well spaced and the service was attentive and the food excellent.
This part of Croydon has a good choice of restaurants but we will definitely go again and would recommend Albert's Table for a quiet relaxing evening with good food and service.