“Didn't live up to the hype for me.”
Review of Albert's Table

Albert's Table
Ranked #5 of 489 Restaurants in Croydon
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Bus stop outside serving multiple bus routes. 5 minute walk from South Croydon train station.
Description: CR0 1BF
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I was quite excited to be going to Albert's table as, since Le Cassoulet closed down, it's probably the closest Croydon has to a "Posh" restaurant. It was decent enough but for me slightly disappointing.
The decor is fairly bland, looks a bit like a semi posh Dorset tearoom. Not particularly striking & a bit cold. There were only a few tables in when we arrived so I didn't expect much atmosphere but it didn't seem to improve much as the place filled up. I don't enjoy rowdy places but neither do I enjoy eating somewhere where everyone speaks in hushed voices. We were not eating in a library!
I had the pigeon wellington to start & my husband the crab cake, both were very pleasant.
For mains we both had the aged beef. I'll be honest & say it didn't set my world on fire. I've had far better bits of beef at far cheaper restaurants & the fact that it comes on a slate with a "smear" (You know where they run the back of a spoon through your sauce so they can charge an extra fiver) was not fooling anyone.
For the first time ever that's pretty much all I've got to say & my reviews are usually pretty long, I just couldn't find anything here to inspire me & thought that the price charged was too high for what was offered. I also found the 12% service charge which is automatically added to your bill totally unnacceptable & to be honest that's what's put me off ever going here again. A tip is a reward for good service. If you're going to add it to the bill yourselves (Darn presumptious, particularly as the service was not outstanding) then just raise your prices.

If you have a maiden aunt or granny it might be worth taking her here to make her feel like she's been somewhere posh but personally I can't figure out why you'd come here when there are many other restaurants in Croydon offering better food, at lower prices & with a far better atmosphere.

1  Thank Moley42
Joby W, Owner at Albert's Table, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2013

I find this review slightly confusing.

We have never served crab cakes.
Pigeon Wellington, although it has been on the menu in the past, certainly is not at the moment.
We have never served any main course on a slate with a bit of puree.

I wonder if this reviewer is confusing us with some were else, or indeed confusing parts of there meal with another restaurant??

There are newer reviews for Albert's Table

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Been a few times over last 2 years and always lovely food and lovely service. Good value too. A real gem.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Looking at the set price menu, we were spoilt for choice, so opted for the tasting menu as it included the flavours and textures we were looking for.

The scallops were divine. The sea bass and beef also. I love the way Joby puts things together - I would never think to try particular purees and vegetables with fish or beef but they work. Every time. I try things here that I would usually avoid elsewhere.

We've been here a few times now and while service is not always excellent, this time it was. Whenever we have encountered a problem it has always been rectified and an apology readily offered.

We'll be back soon with some locals who are keen to explore the menu

1  Thank MelbaSouthLondon
Reviewed December 21, 2012

If I went to the restaurant without any pre-conceptions it would have been a good restaurant and good value. Not fantastic, but not bad. Unfortunately, I went for my birthday and was expecting amazing food, excellent service, wow wow wow.

So it a good restaurant to go to for a regular meal out, but I wouldn't go for a special occassion. There is nothing wrong with it, but the review and hype and not done it any favours. There are so many restaurants in Croydon, this one doesn't stick out. It looks a lot classier than the other, so you will feel comfortable dressing up,it just doesn't have the wow factor. Perfect for a girls night out where you just want to catch up and chat.

You must try the Dorset Crab for starter, it very good!

1  Thank Samantha F
Reviewed December 16, 2012

A fantastic selection of inventive dishes all made from seasonal produce and served with panache. Perfect for a special occasion or romantic dinner, and whilst not cheap, the quality makes it great value for money.

1  Thank PaulMaps