“Excellent place, highly recomended”
Review of Bel & The Dragon

Bel & The Dragon
Ranked #1 of 2 Churt B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Found this place through Laterooms looking for a stay over for work and what a great place. Nestled in rural Surrey it's one of those places that gets all the little details right and then invents a couple of their own for good measure. For example, fresh flowers on the table, condiments in little kilner jars, great books dotted around everywhere (not just filler from junk shops). Sounds trivial but it makes a difference and if a place does stuff like this right it strongly suggests they get the big things right as well. Speaking of which, the food was great, rooms clean, stylish and very comfortable and the staff could not possibly have been more polite and helpful. Oh, and did I mention the complimentary booze......yes, you heard me!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed June 22, 2014

My fiancé booked a night away for me as a surprise for my birthday, he had told me that as he booked it quite late that we had the smallest room, however I wasn't too worried about that. We have eaten in both the cookham and Windsor bel and the dragons which we thought were fab places. We live local to the cookham one and often have a Saturday night drink there.

Upon arriving, I can only assume they had had a cancellation and we were upgraded to a lovely larger room (Bennett). The coffee machines and whiskey shown to us were a lovely touch as we were escorted to our room, there was also a complimentary bottle of sloe gin in the room which I thought was really lovely. Bathroom was huge with a beautiful bath, just a shame it was a bit warm this weekend to have a bath!

We started the afternoon by sitting in the garden for about 3 hours just chatting over a few drinks. I would love to go back and have a pizza from their oven in huge garden, I thought this was such a good idea.

We ate in the restaurant last night and the food was beautiful. I had scallops followed by the fish if he day which was cod on seasonal veg and I ordered some roast potatoes. I had lemon tart to finish which was just delicious. My fiancé had a starter portion of a crab pasta which was on the main menu, steak and Eton mess to finish. Neither of us could fault anything.

Staff were all lovely and attentive and very friendly.

Room Tip: Bath in Bennett was just gorgeous and so deep!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Samantha S
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Being a local to the area and what was once the pride of the valley being my local I have never been disappointed since the re opening and re naming of a local landmark hostelry.
As I have been so satisfied with the excellent food and service at the B&D in Churt we booked a table for lunch at the sister pub in Windsor and we may as we'll have been on Mars as there were apsolutely no similarities between the 2 places.
I took a client and his family here for lunch, the service was awfull and so was the food. Being made to feel as if you are doing someone a favour when you go out to eat is not a good thing.
I am writing this on this site as we commented directly with the B&D In Windsor and there was no
feedback from anybody. I wondered if this may spark a reaction from somebody.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Alex P, Marketing Manager at Bel & The Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Hi Stephen,

I am extremely upset and confused to receive this review. All of us at Bel & The Dragon are dedicated to delivering a wonderful experience to each and every person who kindly chooses to spend time at any of our properties, so of course upon hearing that you have not received this level of hospitality is concerning. I would like to apologise and thank you for letting us know about your experience as it is through hearing about such incidents that we are able to work on any areas of weakness and ensure nothing like this happens again. Our Operations Director, Ian would very much like to speak with you to get some more details and to apologise to you directly.

Please can you email us at manager@belandthedragon-windsor.co.uk and Ian will reply personally.

With many kind regards

Alex Peck
Marketing Manager

Reviewed June 21, 2014

I stayed here for a night and was very impressed. I had stayed here previously when it was called The Pride Of The Valley and will the setting was fantastic it was looking tired and in need of a major refurb. Now that it has had a sympathetic makeover I am pleased to say it now does justice to its surroundings. My room was large, clean and comfortable while still looking period. I ate dinner in the restaurant and can recommend the scallops and the steak. Breast fast was nice as well and was made to order. Finally the staff were attentive and courteous and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Had been to their sister pub/restaurant in Godalming many moons ago and was unaware that this was here less than 5 miles from us.
It is simply wonderful. The decor, lighting and furnishings are so well put together, I'd like to live here. The staff were pleasant and attentive and happy to chat. The food was incredible. The chef who ever he is, is incredible. Every flavour perfect, styling and plating up was designed beautifully, it was inviting you in and the simple proof was we had four clean plates at every course.
We ate well, had some champagne(glasses not bottle) a bottle of wine and coffees/teas on top of the three courses and it under £40.00 per head, the more than warranted(which is rare these days) service tip of 10% we were very happy to pay. The problem is now everywhere in the future we eat out at will be judged against this gastro pub, surely they will not cut it. So no need to go anywhere else, so that's that sorted.
I was talking to one of the managers and she said they are already taking christmas bookings, not a surprise.
Seek it out and enjoy. Truly outstanding. Thank you Bel & Dragon Churt.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I booked the Bel & Dragon Churt as a birthday treat for my husband. We left our one year old with her grand parents and had the most wonderful and reviving break! Mike, the manager, and his staff were all extremely friendly and provided great service. The food was superb and next time we will definitely stay for lunch to try out the pizza oven in the garden! We stayed in the family room which was lovely and quiet with a very comfy bed which was just what we needed! Our only regret is that we stayed for one night and not two! We will return!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2014

This was excellent. I had 2 relaxing days and two parties at nearby friends.

Comfy bed, crisp white bedlinen, modern and light interior decor throughout. Staff and Manager as friendly as they come - and efficient.

No complaints just two extras that would help:

Better lighting for make-up either in the bathroom or in the room.

My room was light and delightful looking out over the gardens but some rooms face on to the road and I'm told there can be noisy gatherings outside the bar/hotel. So ask if it is rest you are looking for.

Room Tip: Darcy was great but sadly Mr Darcy didn't show up!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Churt
Frensham Pond Country House Hotel & Spa
#4 of 6 in Farnham
The Devils Punchbowl
The Devils Punchbowl
#1 of 1 in Hindhead

Been to Bel & The Dragon? Share your experiences!