“One of my favorite hotels”

Frensham Pond Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Churt
Reviewed August 24, 2007

When I read the reviews for this hotel I don't recognise it! I stay here on business every couple of months and I've always had fantastic service and courtesy from the staff.
Now you may think that's because she's a regular paying full price, when actually I always book through Late Rooms at a reduced price and generally only stay 1 or 2 nights at the most. The type of traveller that most hotels would consider as low profit customer and therefore would not be given the best rooms.
The garden chalets are superb, (and air conditioned) it's great when I'm allocated one of these as I can sit out on the patio right outside my room.
The room service has choices to suit most tastes, is usually delivered swiftly and is hot and tasty.
I think by now I've probably stayed in all the different room types they have and I don't have a problem with any of them.
A super hotel and with great views, just what a business traveller needs after a hard day at work.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed August 15, 2007

Having read some of the reviews on this website I was a little nervous about staying here but everything else near by was fully booked and I needed to stay in the area.
I was pleasantly surprised. All of the staff, from check in to the restaurant, were friendly and efficient. The room was comfortable and clean, with a well equipped bathroom.

My only complaint was that breakfast was poor. The breakfast on Sunday was not cooked to order, and looked very unappetising, and yet we were still expected to pay an £8.50 supplement (on top of a room charge of £125). I am usually very happy with a continental breakfast but the meats on offer seemed to consist mostly of pork luncheon meat and the cheeses were all plastic wrapped portions of cheddar or red leicester.

Despite this I would stay here again as my main concerns when staying away are having a comfortable and clean room which we did have here.

Reviewed August 8, 2007

Given the fantastic location of this hotel, it has great potential, but it is sadly let down by it's staff.

We booked this hotel as the accommodation for the guests at our wedding* but the general "couldn't care less" attitude of the staff was a real disappointment. To give you a flavour of the service to expect, here are a few high lights:

- They refused to change a pint of off beer.
- They charged £1.65 for a paper costing 50p and didn't even deliver it to your room (you had to collect it from reception).
- We were told we would get full English breakfasts in the room rate but only got continental.
- People who ordered the full breakfast were served it cold.
- The croissants were stale.
- The coffee was terrible.
- Staff on the reservation desk were rude.
- There were errors in the rooms we booked (people who ordered double rooms got single beds and some bookings got "lost").
- Guests who had booked online had their bookings cancelled - after they had received the confirmation!
- Despite having phoned in advance to check we'd be able to drink in the hotel after the bar was shut, on returning to the hotel from the wedding venue, the doorman's exact words were "the bar is shut and you have to go to your room" - no congratulations for the newly weds from this hotel!

Also, the interior of the hotel left a lot to be desired, with the general state of the hotel being described as tatty at best, with the gym and sauna in real need of modernisation.

I would not recommend staying at this hotel until it is under new management.

* The actual wedding was at Frensham Heights School, which gets an A++ rating! A truly fabulous venue and excellent staff, which more than made up for our experience with the hotel!

• Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed April 2, 2007

We stayed at this hotel recently as we were in the area for a wedding. The bride advised us to book this hotel early from a list of 3 hotels as it was the best one and also had a pool, sauna, jaccuzi and gym.
I think they must have only gone in through the front when they were doing their research. The front is a lovely old building, with a great view over the lake. This is the picture you'll get if you search the internet. When I pulled up in my car I though 'wow - this is perfect'.
We stayed an extra day to make use of the facilities. Huge mistake as there weren't any. The pool, I realised is a plunge pool, the jaccuzi had a sign next to it saying "this is a hot tub - not a jacuzzi" and the sauna didn't work. The gym was tatty and left a lot to be desired, as did the rest of the building which was a bit like a run down Travelodge.
It's a shame as its a great location. It just needs several millions pounds spending on it and some staff who've been trained in hospitality.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank JenFromTheBlock
Reviewed March 15, 2007

I had a pleasant surprise when I arrived at this hotel as it was a bit of a gem in the middle of nowhere. The pond next to the hotel was more like a lake and we had great views in fresh spring morning of steam rising from the water surface.

The rooms were nice and the beds were comfortable. This is the only hotel I've stayed at that has a free Adult channel. The breakfast was very nice and it had a range of good quality foods. I'd stay here again and not just for the free Adult channel.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed July 27, 2006

Hmmmmm Frensham Pond Hotel, what can I say…………….. an idyllic nightmare from hell! Farnborough Airshow week, an event that has taken place for several years (this last show being its 45th!). You would think it would be an hoteliers’ dream week. Thousands of professional people arriving in Farnborough and the neighbouring villages to spend vast sums of money for one week. We chose the Frensham Pond as it looked beautiful and peaceful a chance to get away from the manic ambience of Farnborough. Instead we found that no matter what time of night we came back to the hotel the staff in their quarters above my room would be having a party! Music blaring, people laughing and joking, not to mention the Fire door to the building being propped open with a large piece of concrete to which I can only imagine it may be for staff or friends who will be arriving later to the party – I’m sure the local Fire Authority would have loved that.

The hotel itself was ok, however it could do with some TLC by the way of general maintenance and better cleaning, the bath tiles were all cracked, cobwebs in corridors etc and even though it’s a prime week to increase your rates my room was certainly not worthy of its £180 per night rate! I met 2 Receptionists during my week who were very pleasant, the DM and the rest of the staff especially the restaurant staff left a lot to be desired. They almost gave the impression that you were ruining their peace!

It is probably a good thing that the views are lovely there as it is likely to be the only view that you will get to see in the evenings. If you were thinking of going into town for a drink, local taxi firms tend to have a problem with coming out to Frensham Pond (not that the staff would ever tell you that!). One night we had to beg a local firm to take some clients back to their hotel which was about 3 miles away, this was after we had been given the Yellow Pages by the staff and told to try and find something ourselves! In the end we had to pay £65 for the taxi to come out.

To be totally honest I think that the only way I would ever stay at Frensham Pond again would be to take a caravan and park up in the car park. That way I would still be able to encounter all that Frensham Pond has to offer – THE FANTASTIC VIEW!

Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank Jan03
Reviewed July 27, 2006

I would strongly advise anyone wishing to use this hotel to think again! Yes the location and surroundings are beautifull, but the hotel and staff (except for two of the reception staff) are rude and I would suggest untrianed in the hospitality industry.

To start with, as it was Farnborough week, so a 50% deposit was taken for the six rooms I booked. I left strict instructions with the Frensham Pond that four of the rooms would be settleing their own accounts and that they should take the 50% from those guests on arrival. This did not happen. One of our guests signed for dinner on one of the evenings however, I have recieved all charges for everything everybody used even though the guests requested their own bills....

Staff called guests liars and every time I was in reception, I overheard other guests complaining on the filth they were expected to put up with in thir rooms, cold food, plus the lack of hot water. One of my guests the MD of my company even had his hand slapped away from a telephone when he was passing it back to the night receptionist who gave it to him with a copy of the Yellow Pages originally as he was not able to locate a taxi!

If you are a company using this hotel please be advised that it doesn't matter how terrible the service is, they will deduct your company card anyway as they think that you won't complain and will that you will just except the cost! I do believe that all bills should be signed and ours was not and yet they had deducted the monies.

The Duty Manager admitted to me in a Reception area full of other complaining guests, that the service my guests had all received was not acceptable and this was at the same time as he was giving other guests discounts on their rooms due to their complaints (I feel that these discounts were given because the guests hadn't signed off on their credit cards or room bills yet) .

No hot water, Fire doors proped open, music blaring out from staff quarters with their windows wide open and their washing on display. No lifts in the main building and only two young girls to help you with your very heavy luggage on arrival.

Taxi's won't go their late at night and if they do it will cost you a fortune! I paid £65 to send some clients back to thier accommodation three miles away. No airconditioning or fans on offer and the Staff are only to willing to tell you the guest that you are all liars!!

I am disgusted and I am taking this further!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank LadyBetts
Kevinfrensham, Manager at Frensham Pond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2007

You have to appreciate that there are two sides to every story and yes they couldn't get a taxi easily but you will not be able to anywhere in this area at 2am in the morning. This is in teh country side and every where closes at midnight at the latest.

With regards to an alledged assault, well it didn't happen.

These guests were digruntled because we couldn't locate a taxi firm for them.

Had they pre-booked a taxi it would not have been problem.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Churt
The Hog's Back Hotel & Spa Farnham
#1 of 2 in Haslemere
Farnham House Hotel
Farnham House Hotel
#5 of 6 in Farnham

Been to Frensham Pond Hotel? Share your experiences!