“Third rate” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Charlwood
Herne Bay, United Kingdom
“Third rate”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

They are clearly expecting one night stays for Gatwick passengers so feel as as long as the basic's are offered that's good enough.Everything, except the entrance, is third rate,the room reminded me of a cheap 60's Blackpool B&B.Wallpaper coming of the ceiling .Formica, mould, old box tv etc,etc.The bus to the airport at the time we arrived was one an hour ( of,course it had just left) and the one we caught left 4 minutes early--shame for the people rushing to catch it.
If all you want is a bed and transport go for it,but I am sure better options are available

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank eric h

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Czech first
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

Just arrived back from a 2 day stay at The Russ Hill Hotel. Booked through lasminute.com on a relatively inexpensive room only rate. Location is nice as it appears to be quiet if you want to escape to the countryside. Upon entering the hotel, the lobby appears to have recently been equipped with new furniture, brown leather armchairs which looks really nice. However, these are really the only positive things I can say about this hotel. At check in, the receptionist didn't acknowledge the request I had made as it was a special occasion. He looked rather confused as to which room he should check us into. He did manage to persuade us to book breakfast at check in for our stay (a choice I would later regret) and proceeded to give us our keys to our room. We got lost on the way to our room, the room numbers on the rooms are out of sequence and at one point another guest asked us for directions. Our room, 250, was relatively small. We were welcomed by a spider on the bedroom wall. The armchair in the room was in bad condition and probably should not have been in the room. I called to reception asking if there was another room we could move to and the receptionist assisted promptly with this. Before we moved, I received a call from room service asking me if I ordered food. Obviously a mistake but the way I was spoken to (which was a common theme from all staff) was very off the cuff and the kind of service I would expect from staying in a hostel. So, we moved to 618 which was a room for 3 people. It was much more spacious and the bed was softer which;was good. Both mornings, we could hear noise from the corridors, a problem i fear that they must suffer from all the time. Breakfast was the worst. The staff were more concerned with clearing away plates and setting up for dinner than replenishing the breakfast buffet. We came down at 9:15 am and breakfast was to be finished at 10 am so it didn't make much sense as to why they wouldn't bother replenishing this. It got so bad at one point, I observed another guest walking into the back of house and taking a glass so she could get some orange juice. There was no co-ordination at all. When I went get some brown sauce for my full english, the entire contents of the bottle poured onto my plate, suffice to say I was more than upset. However, I didn't voice my disdain as it appeared that no-one was willing enough to listen or care. In the bedroom, it says that you should not leave valuables in the room and should leave them at reception for your own safety. I went to query this and the receptionist said that they only have safes for their floats and stuff. Talk about a contradiction.We left our valuables in the room and thankfully they were not taken. I highly would recommend that they sort this out as they may find themselves on the wrong end of a lawsuit if something like this was to happen to someone else. We borrowed an iron and ironing board from reception and I almost laughed when the receptionist asked if we were going to keep it for long as she would need to take a deposit. The ironing board was on it's last legs and the iron wasn't great neither. I didn't eat dinner there so I cannot comment but the food appears to be in the same vein as a Weatherspoon's. On checkout, I dropped off the key and the female receptionist barely looked up and said thank you as I left. She didn't ask me how my stay was and I doubt she would even care if I would have told her. I could have looked past all of the negative experiences I had in this hotel, if any of the staff were any way apologetic or empathetic. There doesn't appear to be any standard operating procedures and clearly there is nobody managing in the hotel. If there was I missed it. If I was to ever return to Charlwood, I would probably book elsewhere. I know this review is probably for nothing as it appears, (judging by the other reviews) that management don't respond.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

Comfortable if somewhat small rooms which were more than adequate for an overnight stay before our flight from Gatwick. Friendly and efficient welcome.
The hotel has a decent bar where you can buy meals or there is a Cavery.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Visaman1
Dumfries, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

We stayed here as part of an organised coach trip £99 for three nights BB & EM.
Though this hotel is a grand old lady that has been extended and is in need of a bit of loving care and an upgrade in some areas, it was excellent value.
Our room was quite basic, but spotlessly clean and refreshed every day. Staff were unfailingly courteous and helpful and we witnessed many kindnesses shown to older and frailer people.
Food was simple, fresh, hot and plentiful and well cooked. There was plenty of choice and again great value.

Room Tip: Rooms at the far end of the extension seem to be quieter. There is no lift so ask for a ground floor...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Paid £78 for 1 night stay with a 3 course meal and parking at air parks for 4 nights. Positives - room was very warm, close to air parks. Now for the negatives - mattress hard, black ? Mould on shower room mirror, broken tiles in the shower room, dirty stains/marks on shower room floor, curtains hanging off rails, as for the 3 course meal - don't bother! Starter was soup or salad. Main course - carvery of turkey or gammon but advertised as pork. Turkey was dry. Veg was over cooked, tasteless, frozen not fresh. Dessert - pre packed cakes. We would NEVER return to this place. I guess you get what you pay for

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle H
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

For the amount we paid for 1 night, I was happy enough. A very large room, clean, extra towels, Wifi in the lobby, coffee/tea in the room. Yes it needs to be updated but the staff were very helpful. We did order a pizza for dinner and it was dry and dull, and we didn't eat in the dining room for breakfast. Yes the airplanes do start early in the morning but come on people, it's an airport hotel! I'd probably stay there again if we were to ever fly in and out of Gatwick again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Preston, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014

We stayed here with National Holidays and would not go again.

Although the breakfast was very good I would not stay again book this hotel if you don't mind being woken at 5.11am every morning as this hotel is on the flight path for Gatwick!

You can hear every sound not only from the adjoining rooms but below and above. The hotel has seen better days although our room was clean.

National Holidays this hotel is suitable for people who are just staying the night on route to the airport not a 3 night stay !!!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank 50jackiep39
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlwood
Airport Inn Gatwick
Stanhill Court Hotel
Stanhill Court Hotel
#1 of 2 in Charlwood
Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley

Been to Russ Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!