Russ Hill Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hookwood Lodge(Hookwood)
  • Breakfast included
2,400 results
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We were based here on the National Holidays London & Windsor tour, surprised to note it was used as an Airport Car park also being so close to Gatwick, ideal for an overnight before flying abroad, aircraft noise is very loud as we were on the flightpath, happily it is muted when inside the hotel, the corridors are a maze of left and right hand turns and the bedrooms are adequate, short people may find difficulty getting in and out of the bath when taking a shower as it is quite high off the floor. Dining is the typical chaotic self service once the 'Nutty Professor' look alike has directed you to a table, food is well cooked [ apart from the morning bacon] though Turkey and Pork seemed to be the only meats on offer each evening. There is nothing to do on an evening apart from drink, no pavements on the narrow roads for a stroll. What we paid to National Holidays for this break was a bargain and the hotel was up to usual budget Britannia standards, dated but adequate

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed in the Russ Hill hotel for one night. Some of the negative reviewers on here made us apprehensive about what we'd find, but our experience was absolutely fine. Check-in was pleasant and efficient, our bedroom was a small twin room with an ensuite toilet and bath and with TV and tea, coffee and kettle. Everything that we needed. The decor and atmosphere is a bit dated, like a hotel from the early 1980s, say, but it was all fine, the beds were comfortable and clean etc. We wouldn't hesitate to stay there again for an overnight sop near Gatwick, although it's location and quality would not attract us for anything longer.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed at this hotel the night before we flew out to Mexico. We arrived Tues 27th Aug. We followed the sat nav from Hampshire & arrived there fine. From a certain point it is signposted

Driving up we were greeted by a big manor house that was just full of cars luckily the overnight carpark was empty. You can see the planes coming in.
Check in was fine, informative & we went in to the bar to order some food. We arrived at 8.15pm so hadn't had dinner... There are 2 rooms you can eat in the bar or a room that does a all you can eat buffet for £12.50 each. Not sure what they were serving. The menu in the bar is ok we opted for lasagna & a alcoholic drink.. The small wine is small LOL I wish I had gone large... The food was ok I'd give it a 5/10 not that big a portion although it filled me up but was quite bland. We ordered a cheese board for after but wish we had been given a choice. We're given a load of cheese that we didn't like & not enough crackers.

After dinner we went to the room. We paid £36 for the room as we found it on last minute.com so weren't sure what we would be arriving to & after reading some of the reviews we were abit worried. The rooms though (or ours) was fine a nice size, clean & comfortable. We were happy & even paying around the £60 mark for room only I would have been happy.

We didn't sleep great but that was nothing to do with the bed it was hearing the planes go over but we were also like kids at Christmas excited for our holiday & waking every hour. We left the hotel at 5.30am there was nowhere to get breakfast but we had already made the decision to get that at the airport. I no you can get breakfast at the hotel for £9.50 which isn't a bad price at all but not sure what time that is from

I would stay here again. It is very old fashioned/out of date & basic but it's somewhere to bed down for the night & it's comfortable. I will use this place again when we go away again & have a early flight. Not only do holiday makers stay overnight here you get work people stay here as well.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank chelseaharvey
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

I was quite worried when I read most of the reviews. I stayed in a family room with my wife and two daughters. The room was very clean and looked like it had recently been decorated. It had a double bed and bunk beds. The bathroom was also bright and clean. We had an early flight so we booked for the free parking and close location to Gatwick. Whilst we were there one of our padlocks on our suitcases became jammed. I went to reception and a very freindly member of staff came to help.He managed to open the case for us. We did not eat there but had a lovely meal in the Hungry Horse pub in Charlwood.I would certainly stay there again

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Glen121
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

This is the cheapest hotel near gatwick which is why I booked it and to expect a lot would have been foolish, it wasn't bad. The hotel was dated and the decor could have done with updating, the room had a step down after the entrance which you need to watch. It was a good size, two single beds (I was staying alone so no matter) there was a bath with a shower, television, hairdryer, tea and coffee making facilities. There is soap and shampoo but I'd recommend bringing your own, unless you checked your bags already and can't carry liquid in your hand luggage. I didn't use the restaurant so I can't comment on that.
There is a bus from the air port once an hour which is free, the bus to the airport is also once an hour but is not free it's £5 but if you look on it as £2.50 each way it's not bad and cheaper than a taxi.
All in all I'd stay again if I was flying early but I couldn't stay for more than one night

• Stayed: September 2013