“Extension of our holiday”

Stanhill Court Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Charlwood
Uckfield, United Kingdom
“Extension of our holiday”
Reviewed February 25, 2011

We decided to stay at stanhill court hotel before our nine hour flight to jamaica,what a great idea, it was a wonderful hotel with beautiful grounds. The staff were very helpful, when we arrived they made sure that we were looked after, making sure we knew detail about the hotel, rooms restaurant etc. Food in the restaurant was excellent and good value.
Our room was great with a four poster bed very tasteful.
All together made our holiday that extra special.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Stephenbessant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2011

This hotel is one of the most beautiful hotels I’ve ever stayed at and there has been quiet a few. The hospitality, the quality of service was excellent and in particular the General Manager Mr Cavanan who always made us feel part of the family. If I knew about this hotel before I would have definitely got married there!

Kind Regards

Adam Neroni

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Adam N
Scarborough, yorkshire
Reviewed February 3, 2011

We booked this hotel purely for cost and free airport car parking for Gatwick. This was not my first choice but big chain hotels near Gatwick seemingly more costly than Heathrow with less quality. £79 for night room only - can't go wrong! Look at website and is a wedding venue too so one figures must be good. Situated outside a tiny village with long driveway studded with naff small statues alongside giving the same impression stone lions do on the entrance to a typical 3 bed semi! The outside fascade of building nice - the reception area tiny with a miserable unwelcoming member of staff greeting you. The curtains in reception are falling down at the windows - not a good first impression. This leads you to the main hallway with welcoming open fire and leather settees - you want to "park your bum" - or would if there were any ambience - the hotel is deserted and relax with a wine or two! The ceiling and stairway is impressive above, a real wedding picture focal point - we were given room 3 at top of stairs. Lovely wooden door in keeping with the hallway and antique furniture giving illusion of grandeur until you enter the room! Errg! what happened? Rock hard mattress ( I like a firm bed but come on!) horrid old pillows even those in wardrobe - mites and bugs spring to mind!. Room ok for size given one night stay but didn't feel clean. The en suite bathroom had cob webs across the doorway on entering - shower, WC, sink clean enough but room icy cold in general despite heated towel rail. Could hear late night revelers from village arriving as situated over main doorway - great for an early start to airport wouldn't you say! Felt the room was cheap and chatty probably worth price paid but paid same monies at Marriott Windsor for a whole better experience. Taxi arranged by reception to airport £10 for 2 each way - clean respectable taxi firm and reliable too.
We did not stay in hotel due to lack of ambience - dining room looked lovely though - we went to Half Moon Pub in Charlwood - fabulous place and recommend for relaxing evening on leather settees. very friendly and welcoming - roaring fires. Did not eat here but the food looked really nice .
On return leg of journey to pick up car arrived early 7am - no one on front desk but had been advised unlikely to be. Fire roaring in hallway so someone clearly around - located waiter in kitchens who spoke very little English who didn't know where to locate car keys. Granted they urged us to take them with us but HEY! going to Barbados afraid would lose them! All resolved within 30 mins but he could have offered us coffee and breakfast for a fee whilst we waited.
Won't be staying again despite price - we were told about Trumbles upon same road for similar price and will be trying there in future.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Merc9SLK

Travelers are raving about these Charlwood hotels

Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2011

Read other reviews of this hotel and wondered if it was worth a try. Glad we did.
Arrived late in the evening, true reception was unattended but soon found someone after reading the notice and ringing the bell.
Given a very nice quiet room, very comfortable and had a good night.
Left early in morning, leaving our car here for 10 days. Had breakfast at airport.
Very reasonably priced and convenient. All went very well.
The building is very grand. The staff very pleasent.
If flying out from Gatwick I would recommend it as it is very reasonably priced car parking.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Hampshire
Reviewed December 30, 2010

We booked to stay at Stanhill Court the night before a flight to Turkey. When we arrived at the hotel I thought it was charming. The grounds looked wonderful covered in thick snow. As it was about 3pm the reception area had staff available to help check you in.
I loved our room, although my husband felt the bed was a little small. It was warm and cosy with very beautiful thick curtains to keep out the winter chill and also looked out over the untouched thick layer of snow at the back of the building.
At check in we were asked if we would like an evening meal and agreed we would but were a little disappointed that only Christmas dinner was being offered in the restaurant. I asked the receptionist if there was a special deal for dinner bed and parking and she told me it was the same price as paying for the meal separately.
My husband and I and my sister and her husband went down to the restaurant at the agreed time but could not find any staff. We sat by the lovely fire and chatted until someone found us. We looked at the menu but I was not willing to pay the price they were expecting for the meal so we asked if we could see the bar menu. We were told that if we wanted room service or to eat bar food in the restaurant we would have to pay a £5 pound supplement for each person. - So we went to eat in the bar! And did not pay the supplement. The food was ok though and we went to sit by the fire again and sang along with the Christmas CD which was playing - hoping the snow would not hinder our flight the next day. We were then told that we needed to pay our bill before going to bed and that we would need to leave our car keys with reception in the morning.
In the morning reception was not open and myself and brother - in - law refused to leave our car keys on a table in reception without any staff as they has been labelled and could identify to anyone which car was which. Eventually the receptionist came down and we left the keys with her.
On arrival from our holiday we went to reception to collect our car keys but could find no staff, eventually after ringing bells and walking around a member of staff came to help give us our car keys back.
In short - I loved the splendour of this hotel and my room was very clean. It does seem however very understaffed and expensive to eat it in. But on a lovely evening you could drive into the local village for something to eat and if you know what to expect before you go, you can prepare for this. I WOULD STAY HERE AGAIN.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Guiseley- Leeds
Reviewed December 20, 2010

We were unfortunately halted by the snow and had to find a hotel near Gatwick. We booked this one and when we got there the receptionist could not have been more helpful. She sorted us out with an extra nights stay at short notice and the room was great. We had a big four poster bed and a large telly what more could you want. The rooms were clean and the food and service were excellent. Thanks for a great stay!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2010

I booked a Deluxe Four Poster room the night after our wedding before we caught a flight from Heathrow as I wanted a hotel with a bit of character rather than a corporate property. What a mistake!
When we arrived in reception we found it was all shut up with a notice pinned up saying it is closed from 11pm-7am - it was 9pm!!!! There was a number to call for assistance however there was no phone and we had both left our phones at home in order to relax on holiday (we will never make this mistake again!!). I walked all around this hotel looking for a member of staff - who know what a burglar could ahve stolen in this time, and eventually walked right into the kitchen before I found anyone.
Apparently she was the DM but she didn't know what board basis we had booked on or that we had paid for 14 days parking, or in fact that we had paid at all!!
We then went off in search of our room which was apparently up the stair where we would see a sign- seriously, signage is a real problem in this place - get them to take you to the door or you will be walking round for 20 minutes like we were - unable to return to reception as noone is there!!
When we got into our room it looked like nothing more than a standard room in a modern hotel with a big ugly old dusty four poster in it - no nice touches at all which you would expect after paying an upgrade- not evern a biscuits, water or a bathrobe! Gah!
To be honest we were pretty crabby by now which is not what you want after only having been married for 24 hours so we decided to order some room service to see if this would make us feel better.
So I sat on the phone to the room service number for what felt like a lifetime and eventually went in search of a member of staff - yet again I had to walk righht into the kitchen to get someone. I think they thought I was going to wait for them to make our 2 sandwiches and carry them up for my self as well! I returned to the room and the food came up but the member of staff insisted that we paid for it there and then- what happened to paying on check out I thought?! We had no cash so he took my husband all the way downstairs to pay by card at the desk- seriously not relaxing.
They also hadn't ordered our taxi for our 7am departure either.
As a hotellier myself I realise I can be picky but there is one thing hotels can and should always get right and that is service. This hotel falls way short of the mark and really needs to pick up it's standards.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stratford01
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlwood
Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Gatwick Corner House Hotel
Sofitel London Gatwick
Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
Ghyll Manor Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Stanhill Court Hotel? Share your experiences!