Russ Hill Hotel(Charlwood)
  • Room Service
$103
PremierInn.com
  • Free Internet
All reviewsfour posterpatio barposter bedcountry house hotelwedding partylovely hotelgrounds are stunningtaxi transfergatwick airportthree course mealafternoon tealeave the carpublic areaspark and flypre flightan early startdays parking
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night on the 14th of May before flying out from Gatwick. First of all the hotel and grounds are lovely but unfortunately, the room we were given (109) was not. It was small and unheated despite it being very wet and cold outside. Outside the room the stairs and reception area were lovely and warm. We complained at reception and were told that the hotel maintenance engineer would look into why our room was not heated but nothing happened. Outside it was very windy and the draught from around the windows was sufficient to move the curtains and rattle the outside door. This made sleeping difficult.
Also we were concerned with the tea making facilities. This was on a narrow cabinet against the wall and when I opened the door to get the teabags the whole cabinet started to topple forwards with a boiling kettle on top. The cabinet should have been pinned to the wall.
After when we got back home, I emailed the hotel (for attention of the Manager) with our complaint but did not receive a response
We did not eat in the hotel and instead went out and had a very good meal at the Half Moon pub in the village although parking was not easy.

1  Thank Robert H
luxury4poster, Owner at Stanhill Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the hotel on TripAdvisor. It's always a valuable source of comment.

We have looked at the situation with regard to the tea making facilities (the furniture is industry standard for this facility). I inspected the room myself and take your point and we are taking steps to have this made more secure.

I am at a loss to understand why you did not receive a response to your email as all correspondence of this type is referred to management to deal with. Please accept my apologies.

I do hope this has not deterred you from returning to Stanhill Court Hotel. We receive so many compliments covering a very broad scale (as can be seen on this website) and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Have used this hotel on a number of occasions prior to flying from Gatwick and have always been very pleased with the accommodation and the availability of parking. Usually you can get very competitive rates for the night plus 8/15 days parking. The room at our latest stay last month was a little small but perfectly adequate for our purposes and compares very favourably with the usual standard Gatwick hotel rooms.

We ate dinner in the restaurant and enjoyed a superb meal with excellent service in a splendid setting. You really do feel you are in a stately home with the grand entrance hall and wood panelled public rooms.

We have always taken a taxi to and from the airport - £10 each way - much more comfortable than stuffed in a shuttle bus and not much more expensive. This little luxury sets you up for your holiday....

The only downside to the hotel is the lack of a lift, so whilst your luggage is carried to your room on arrival, if you have an early start for the airport then you have to carry your cases downstairs yourself. A minor inconvenience which does not detract from the special experience that Stanhill Court provides.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
luxury4poster, Owner at Stanhill Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Thank you very much for your valued comments following your stay with us recently. And, yes, we don't have a lift and as you say we do offer help with luggage on check in.

The house was built in 1881 as a family home and did not incorporate a lift. We struggled to establish where a lift could best be placed without destroying the natural beauty of the architecture and woodwork. In the end, we decided not to have one which can be problematical when leaving early. We do, however, offer to keep large suitcases downstairs so that you only need to take your night things with you and pick up your main suitcase on departure and perhaps we can discuss the options next time you book with us.

We look forward to welcoming you again, soon.

Regards

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Beautiful grounds, fab building, best steak I have ever eaten, wonderful service and great staff. We paid the same just for airport car park on the last holiday as the room plus parking. I would definitely recommend this hotel and will be staying again

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

I'm glad you enjoyed the full benefits of our special deal on park and fly. Being so close to the airport, yet not in a flight path, it's the perfect opportunity to start your holiday in a more relaxed fashion.

Now you know where we are, we look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed at this hotel the night before taking a flight from gatwick and we parked our car here for 10 days. We got a very good deal and a room upgrade. What a stunning hotel. Amazing four poster bed. Very comfortable. Yes the rooms are not that big as some people have said. But let's face it in a hotel room all you do is sleep and for that reason they are big enough. It's also the quality of the space and the room was of very good quality. We had a wonderful evening meal. The food was of excellent standard and the service was second to none. The grounds were stunning. Could not find a fault with this hotel. Highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a four poster bed. It suits this style of hotel.
1  Thank 552LindaR

Thank you for writing up your experience at Stanhill Court Hotel and thank you for your recommendations. We look forward to seeing you again, soon.

Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here at the beginning of May at a supposed preferential rate but it was still not cheap.

Stayed in one of the non four poster bedded rooms but it was tiny was basically as wide as the double bed and only about twice the length of that. When you were lying in bed it felt as though the room was coming in around you

The bathroom was tiny, old and kind of grubby looking, you could probably have used the toilet and had a shower at the same time it was that small

The wardrobe was at a weirdly low level so only about 4 foot off the floor so you couldn't hardly hang anything in it, it was like an understairs cupboard

In the morning we went down to get a coffee to be told they couldn't help us and that there were coffee making facilities in the room. I like a nice coffee of a morning and not an instant Nescafé style one, so we had to drive to a nearby petrol station to get one

On the plus side it really is in the most beautiful surroundings and the wedding we attended there was great. Very quiet so you wouldn't think you were only a few miles from the airport

Due to the price and style and size of the rooms I would not stay again

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank dollyshols

We were surprised to receive your comments. I don't think we have ever received comments like this before.
If I may start with the coffee issue. We serve coffee all day, every day, on request and are at a loss to understand anybody actually refusing to serve you. I don't recognise any of my staff doing that. If you look at other comments on this page and I would be delighted to share the ones I receive in my office, we receive compliments galore about the high standard of service and the quality of the building.

I don't like the wardrobe you commented on - but my husband does. It's all down to personal taste and is a copy of any antique and is meant to be that size. I'd give it another foot and say it is 5ft tall.

The room you stayed in is one of our smaller rooms. You do mention that you found the room to be grubby and we have taken steps to have it repainted. You don't mention the price you paid, so I cannot comment but when accommodation is offered at a special discount, the discount can be from 40 - 60% off the published full rate.

We trust this does not deter you from staying with us again and we look forward to welcoming you on that occasion. May I suggest you request a different room, it won't be a problem.