“Excellent home from home”

Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Camberley
GreenLeadersBronze level
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
“Excellent home from home”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Stayed here with a colleague on a business trip and have to say it ticks all the boxes. Attractive venue with lawned gardens, ample parking and a lovely welcoming reception with smiley, helpful staff. Rooms are a good size, clean and comfortable. We stayed in and had bar snacks that were delicious. The staff were attentive but not in your face. Breakfast was nice and we ate whilst listening to chuch music. Very relaxing. Will be staying again, thanks.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Stephen A, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Many thanks for your review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind comments. We look forward to extending you a warm welcome back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Polish first
Warwick, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We had a fantastically comfortable evening before setting off early to Heathrow. The staff were great- offering Room Service Breakfast at 5.00 am before we set off for the airport.

We had Room Service Dinner in our room and the Fish and Chips were to die for!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Stephen A, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Many thanks for your review. It was a pleasure to be of service to you and thank you for your kind review. I do hope that you will afford us the opportunity to extend you a warm welcome back in the near future.
Reviewed January 6, 2014

My boyfriend surprised me with a stay at the hotel for the night just before we headed back to work after the Christmas break. The weather was wet and cold so the hotel made us feel very welcome with fires lit around the bar and main reception. Reception staff were very charming with lovely manners and smiles. Our room was right at the end of the hallway though we experienced no noise from outside at all. One complaint though, the room as we entered was freezing, then upon asking for the heat to be turned up we had to upgrade it to a portable heater which didn't do much good. In the middle of the night the air-con switched on and blew out cold air for at least an hour before the cold woke us and we switched it off. We even ordered breakfast in as we were too cold to leave the room to head downstairs. A wonderful hotel with authentic features and stunning swimming pool though not enough warmth to feel comfortable for a night away from home. They also do not cater for all rooms to dine in the hotel restaurant, which is somewhat ridiculous. We actually went out for dinner rather than feel as though we were squeezing in and had a lovely time, though to not be catered for with a last minute booking isn't exactly impressive. Menu looked very limited and old fashioned.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your review. I was sorry to note the issues regarding the cold temperature of your bedroom, the air-con noise and indeed not being able to dine in the Restaurant. Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment experienced on this occasion. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to extend you a warm welcome back in the future.
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I booked the Macdonald Frimley Hotel for New Years Eve for my family and we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We had a suite and a buffet dinner plus breakfast the following day for what was a fantastic price especially given that we had use of the spa facilities.

The staff were very friendly and attentive and I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The Suites are very reasonable for a family of four and have a lovely view over the grounds
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Stephen A, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Many thanks for your review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your New Year celebrations with us. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to extend you a warm welcome back again next year.
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at MacDonald Frimley Hall in September as a spa weekend away. While I dont agree with some of the harsher reviews on Trip Advisor I would say that the place needs some work to truly become a 4 star property. We checked in on a rainy Saturday afternoon with no hitches but the Reception staff seemed less than enthusiastic and werent overly friendly but were efficient. We then went to our room which was in the main hotel building which was older however our room was of a good standard and well maintained. Nice bathroom with big bath and modern fixtures. Some stains on carpet in room but nothing too bad. As we were there for a spa weekend and as there is not much in the area we used the hotel's facilties for much of the weekend and they often came up wanting. The restaurant was nice and the food was delicious and well prepared however again the staff werent so friendly considering the prices. If you are going to charge 5 star prices then you need to have well trained 5 star staff to pull it off. The bar was also nice but again understaffed and young staff with little training were manning it much of the day. The hotel was very busy with a wedding and several other groups but the whole place seemed understaffed. It took too long for tables to be cleared in the bar and on the patio outside. It took too long to order a drink and have it served. If you order tea for outside be prepared to wait 40 minutes for it to arrive. The staff were nice enough but seemed young and unsupported. I would say that the hotel need to hire more staff and ensure that they are trained to a higher standard to improve the service. The spa is well maintained and easy to use. I enjoyed the pool and sauna but bear in mind that there is no jacuzzi. My girlfriend and I had treatments at the spa as well and can say that the service and quality were excellent and the staff were very nice. All in all I think that Frimley Hall is a nice country house hotel that with a bit of work could be a great hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your review. I was concerned to read your comments as the issues highlighted are certainly not the standards of service and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this occasion. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to extend you a warm welcome back in the future.
Staines-Upon-Thames
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We have just returned from this hotel (my partner, my daughter and her boyfriend and myself). I would not recommend this hotel for a national celebration like the New Years Eve celebration we have just had!!
The good things...... the bedroom was beautifully decorated, the service was good and the entertainment was excellent.
The bad...the set menu was very disappointing, the pate was passable, the soup was crab and most of our table (8 people) left this as no one liked it, it was more like dish water with a bit of crab and an equal amount of crab shell in the soup and about 5 minutes later the bread turned up...when the soup was cold!
The main course was lamb and about 25% of the lamb had fat on the plate as well as the lamb, if you love potato then you were in luck as this was the best bit on the plate.
Desert was ok.
We also found it odd that there was complementary red wine on the table, 1 bottle between 8 of us but no white wine!!!
So we went to bed and thought breakfast would be good...how wrong we were!
A great deal of the traditional English breakfast was cold, I also heard people complaining that tea was not available.
The conclusion my partner came to was that the replenishment of the hot food and drinks was to slow and the hotel could not cope with the vast numbers of guests staying at the hotel, mainly coming to breakfast at the same time!
Having said all of the above, we did manage to have a nice time but definitely was not value for money and we will not be returning!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I was very concerned to read your comments regarding our Gala New Year's Eve Party and am very sorry to note that you did not enjoy the food. The soup was actually a light Ginger Broth with a Crab Quenelle rather than a Crab Soup. I only wish you had raised your concerns at the time, as this may have presented us with an opportunity to provide an alternative for you, as indeed with the main course too.I must say though, overall the feedback has been very good.
I do hope that you will reconsider and afford us the opportunity to extend you a warm welcome back in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Camberley hotels

Reviewed December 31, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a three day post Christmas chill out at this hotel.
First of all the staff...simply wonderful they were so friendly and helpful and made our stay a real occasion.
The spa and its facilities were excellent and just what was needed for a good rest.
We had a lovely spacious room in the main house and things could not have been made more pleasant for us.
We cannot recommend the whole experience highly enough...Thanks to all the staff and a Happy and prosperous New Year to all of you.
David & Jenny Stanford

Room Tip: Hope you enjoy as much as we did.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Stephen A, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Many thanks Mr & Mrs Stanford for your review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you had a chance to chill and relax. I will of course pass your kind comments onto the staff accordingly. I do hope that you will afford us the opportunity to extend you a warm welcome back in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camberley
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa
Great Fosters
Great Fosters
#1 of 5 in Egham
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,023 reviews

Been to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!