“Frimley Hall Hotel, Camberley”

Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Camberley
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Frimley Hall Hotel, Camberley”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I would recommend this hotel and spa. It's rather quaint, traditional and has a certain 'Britishness' about it. The toilets are impeccably clean. The food is good quality. I have been on several occasions. The latest was for a simple afternoon cream tea. For ten pounds you get two scones, masses of (proper and traditional) clotted cream and jam plus a pot of tea or coffee. One cream tea. The scones, cream and jam for one would easily suffice two people. I hate places that offer aerosol cream with their cream teas! The seating was also comfortable in the lounge with comfy sofas moved by staff to accommodate party size. There are also a good selection of daily newspapers and magazines.
The two gripes I would have is that when we asked for menus the waiter said there were none and then went onto rattle off a selection of offerings and prices. Probably throw somebody if their primary language wasn't English. When asked about the selection of teas these too were fired off in a list. Unfortunately, the selection of teas was limited. There were a lot of fruit teas, but nothing like popular teas such as Earl Grey, etc.

Room Tip: Be aware that on Saturdays this venue is popular for weddings. Ask for rooms well away from the main...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank M R
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Many thanks M R for your review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your Cream Tea though a little disappointed that the Tea Selection was not up to our usual standard. Please accept my apologies for the lack of choice on this occasion and be assured that we do not normally offer a limited selection of Teas, for Afternoon Tea. I have asked my Head Chef to review this as a matter of urgency. I do hope that you will afford us the opportunity to offer you a warm welcome back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Booked a one night stay with massage, dinner and breakfast included. The hotel is pleasant and the staff are very nice, welcoming and courteous.

The room was cosy but well presented although the bathroom fan didn't work. The dinner was OK although the mussels were too salty and the chocolate fondant wasn't runny in the middle. Breakfast was fine and a good selection.

The spa is nice with a good pool, sauna and steam room but no jacuzzi. The massage was firm and thorough and surprisingly good considering it was included in the price.

Overall, there we always a couple of things that stopped it from being great rather than average.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel is the best part
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark B
Many thanks Mark B for your review. I have passed your feedback regarding the Mussels and Fondant to my Head Chef for review. Please accept my sincere apologies that these dishes did not meet with your expectations on this occasion. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to extend you a warm welcome back to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa soon.
Horley, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Fantastic spa with great staff and a thoroughly relaxing experience!
Sadly the fine dining experience really let the break down, Food was very well presented but ultimately was bland- rather tasteless.
The check in was inefficient and the receptionist during check-in was less than helpful!
However the receptionist on checkout was fantastic and cheerful despite the hour of the morning!
Overall I'd definitely use the spa again but I wouldn't use the hotel again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chris O
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Many thanks Chris O for your review. Please accept my apologies for the shortfalls in customer care and food quality on this occasion. I have discussed your feedback with both my Head Chef and Reception Manager, who in turn will conduct a review accordingly to resolve these issues. I do hope that you will reconsider your thoughts and afford us the opportunity to extend you a warm welcome back in the future.
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Me and my friend decided to do the whole, 'girly spa day/night' and she booked everything for me as I was busy with work.

The grounds are amazing and the entrance hall is stunning. We got very excited and our spirits where high.

We got checked in but not told where anything was or what times. Even though we where asked if we had been before and told her no. So we felt lost. However she did find the time to tell us the £3 charge of paying on credit card, but when you read the booklet in the room it only says £2 fee.

Finally found the room and there was a massive rip in one chair and cracked tiles on the bath.

We went for cream tea and was told to go to the bar and there was no body there. So my friend took a wonder to find someone and we was sent to the wrong place. We had cream tea and asked for some plain scones but got none.

We went to the spa(we had to guess where it was) for our treatments who had no towels/robes for us and the lady openingly moaned about us coming over later in the day so we had to go up without any robes. Some of the lights do not work in the relaxation room and it needs a good clean and re-paint. We was not shown where anything was like water ect. My massage was good except she asked me where I get the problems an did nothing to that area. My friends massage was good but the lady's personal hygiene was not great and this ruined the experience for my friend. When we came back down a lovely gentlemen found us some robes but no towels.

There was kids jumping in the pool which meant I couldn't swim as they where taking up the swimming lane also. There was life guard to tell them to stop. There is also no jacuzzi which was a let down.

We then went to our room and noticed that some of the lights in the hallway did not work and the paper by the radiator was coming off the wall.

We then went to find dinner as we had not been told where it was. The restaurant manager was brilliant and we enjoyed our dinner. The only disappointment was the side of 'mixed seasonal veg' was only carrots and kale which I already had on my plate.

We went up to bed and had a decent nights sleep and the shower was good. And the room service was very prompt.

We went down to breakfast and again the restaurant manager was brilliant. He got us the table my friend wanted and dealt with a very difficult man. This other customer was my only complaint that morning as the restaurant team where very busy and that man was obviously in a bad mood as he was just as awful to his partner as he was to the restaurant staff.

I feel that there are some really good people that work here and some really awful people too. I would love to get my hands on the place and shake it up a little.

If only one or two of these things had happened I wouldn't be so disappointed but things just kept going and it was such a shame as I could have done with what I booked a nice relaxing spa day/night.

We didn't even bother going to the spa on Sunday as I just wanted to get home. My friend was so upset as she had booked it for us both. I said it didn't matter as spending some quality time with her was the most important thing.

Basically, the place needs a good spruce-up and some of the team need some training in customer service.

This is my first negative review and I feel awful. I do hope they sort things out soon.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank KezzlesK
Thank you KezzlesK for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments, as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this very important occasion. Please be assured that I have discussed all the issues raised in your review with my departmental managers, at length, who in turn will take the necessary actions to resolve these issues. I do hope that you will afford us the opportunity to extend you a warm welcome back in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Camberley hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night with my boyfriend on an express spa package £198 for the room, dinner, 30 min spa treatment and breakfast. Great deal! Staff are pleasant and attentive, place is clean, we found the bed to be comfy, decent massage, pool area small but appropriate. Bar is a little on the expensive side, £6.50 for a vodka lime & lemonade..I've paid less in central London! But overall a pleasant stay and I'd definitely recommend

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks TheKrizzler for your review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your break with us. I do hope that you will afford us the opportunity to offer you a warm welcome back in the near future.
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

After deciding on a weekend trip away we stumbled on a last minute booking for Frimley Hotel & Spa. It sounded like exactly what we were looking for.

When we arrived we were a tad confused as we waited for a minute or so for the electric gates to be opened. Once through, the grounds and gardens were very impressive and we had every intention of taking our son for a walk around, however we wasted a lot of time checking in as the lady behind the desk was trying to charge us random amounts as a "preauthorisation" for our stay. When I questioned the amounts she was very vague. (I later found out that we should have paid the full amount when we arrived - not part now part later ).
Once we reached our "family" room we were a tad confused. We had been given a nice spacious room with a double bed and a sofa . We were expecting a single bed or at least a sofa bed made up ready but we had nothing. We only had enough towels for two people, not three as we had booked for. My husband called reception and the duty manager came up to our room. After asking us if we actually wanted the hotel staff to make the sofa bed ready for our son, he went off and returned with extra towels and made up the bed. By this point we had wasted an hour so decided to go over to the spa.
We were greeted very well and provided with lockers and towels. Family swimming is at specific times, but this wasn't a problem. The pool was lovely however it is one depth of 1.2m throughout so we had to be very careful with our son who is learning to swim.
We had wanted to eat our dinner at the hotel but we discovered that the hotel restaurant was fully booked. Luckily there are plenty of places nearby to eat.
Breakfast the following day was pleasant with a nice choice of foods.
Overall a nice break but I won't be going again as I felt let down by the lack of attention to detail with regards to our booking requirements.

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Imogen C
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Many thanks Imogen C for your review. Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the lack of attention to detail with regards to your reservation requirements. I have discussed this issue, at length, with my Head Housekeeper, who in turn will review the morning brief to ensure that these details are recorded and actioned accordingly. I do hope that you will reconsider your thoughts and afford us the opportunity to extend you a warm welcome back I the future.
orpington
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Stayed one night this week and the immediate impressions were very good. Scenic surroundings and an old stylish building. My room was quite small but sufficient for me. The room was clean with hot & cold running water. We eat in the restuarant and the food was fantastic, hot fresh & tasty. Breakfast followed suit and all was great. Only reservation was the bed was lumpy and uncomfortable which meant not a great nights sleep.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank steveorpington
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Many thanks steveorpington for your review. I was delighted to note that in general, you enjoyed your stay, and thank you for your kind comments about the Restaurant. I was concerned to read your feedback regarding the uncomfortable bed. Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies and be assured that I have passed this on to my Head Housekeeper for review, who in turn will purchase a new bed. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to offer you a warm welcome back in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camberley
Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa
Savill Court Hotel & Spa
Great Fosters
Great Fosters
#1 of 5 in Egham

Been to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!