“I don't really know what to call it” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa

Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Camberley
GreenLeadersBronze level
“I don't really know what to call it”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Me and my friend decided to do the whole, 'girly spa day/night' and she booked everything for me as I was busy with work.

The grounds are amazing and the entrance hall is stunning. We got very excited and our spirits where high.

We got checked in but not told where anything was or what times. Even though we where asked if we had been before and told her no. So we felt lost. However she did find the time to tell us the £3 charge of paying on credit card, but when you read the booklet in the room it only says £2 fee.

Finally found the room and there was a massive rip in one chair and cracked tiles on the bath.

We went for cream tea and was told to go to the bar and there was no body there. So my friend took a wonder to find someone and we was sent to the wrong place. We had cream tea and asked for some plain scones but got none.

We went to the spa(we had to guess where it was) for our treatments who had no towels/robes for us and the lady openingly moaned about us coming over later in the day so we had to go up without any robes. Some of the lights do not work in the relaxation room and it needs a good clean and re-paint. We was not shown where anything was like water ect. My massage was good except she asked me where I get the problems an did nothing to that area. My friends massage was good but the lady's personal hygiene was not great and this ruined the experience for my friend. When we came back down a lovely gentlemen found us some robes but no towels.

There was kids jumping in the pool which meant I couldn't swim as they where taking up the swimming lane also. There was life guard to tell them to stop. There is also no jacuzzi which was a let down.

We then went to our room and noticed that some of the lights in the hallway did not work and the paper by the radiator was coming off the wall.

We then went to find dinner as we had not been told where it was. The restaurant manager was brilliant and we enjoyed our dinner. The only disappointment was the side of 'mixed seasonal veg' was only carrots and kale which I already had on my plate.

We went up to bed and had a decent nights sleep and the shower was good. And the room service was very prompt.

We went down to breakfast and again the restaurant manager was brilliant. He got us the table my friend wanted and dealt with a very difficult man. This other customer was my only complaint that morning as the restaurant team where very busy and that man was obviously in a bad mood as he was just as awful to his partner as he was to the restaurant staff.

I feel that there are some really good people that work here and some really awful people too. I would love to get my hands on the place and shake it up a little.

If only one or two of these things had happened I wouldn't be so disappointed but things just kept going and it was such a shame as I could have done with what I booked a nice relaxing spa day/night.

We didn't even bother going to the spa on Sunday as I just wanted to get home. My friend was so upset as she had booked it for us both. I said it didn't matter as spending some quality time with her was the most important thing.

Basically, the place needs a good spruce-up and some of the team need some training in customer service.

This is my first negative review and I feel awful. I do hope they sort things out soon.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank KezzlesK
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you KezzlesK for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments, as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this very important occasion. Please be assured that I have discussed all the issues raised in your review with my departmental managers, at length, who in turn will take the necessary actions to resolve these issues. I do hope that you will afford us the opportunity to extend you a warm welcome back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night with my boyfriend on an express spa package £198 for the room, dinner, 30 min spa treatment and breakfast. Great deal! Staff are pleasant and attentive, place is clean, we found the bed to be comfy, decent massage, pool area small but appropriate. Bar is a little on the expensive side, £6.50 for a vodka lime & lemonade..I've paid less in central London! But overall a pleasant stay and I'd definitely recommend

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks TheKrizzler for your review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your break with us. I do hope that you will afford us the opportunity to offer you a warm welcome back in the near future.
Swindon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

After deciding on a weekend trip away we stumbled on a last minute booking for Frimley Hotel & Spa. It sounded like exactly what we were looking for.

When we arrived we were a tad confused as we waited for a minute or so for the electric gates to be opened. Once through, the grounds and gardens were very impressive and we had every intention of taking our son for a walk around, however we wasted a lot of time checking in as the lady behind the desk was trying to charge us random amounts as a "preauthorisation" for our stay. When I questioned the amounts she was very vague. (I later found out that we should have paid the full amount when we arrived - not part now part later ).
Once we reached our "family" room we were a tad confused. We had been given a nice spacious room with a double bed and a sofa . We were expecting a single bed or at least a sofa bed made up ready but we had nothing. We only had enough towels for two people, not three as we had booked for. My husband called reception and the duty manager came up to our room. After asking us if we actually wanted the hotel staff to make the sofa bed ready for our son, he went off and returned with extra towels and made up the bed. By this point we had wasted an hour so decided to go over to the spa.
We were greeted very well and provided with lockers and towels. Family swimming is at specific times, but this wasn't a problem. The pool was lovely however it is one depth of 1.2m throughout so we had to be very careful with our son who is learning to swim.
We had wanted to eat our dinner at the hotel but we discovered that the hotel restaurant was fully booked. Luckily there are plenty of places nearby to eat.
Breakfast the following day was pleasant with a nice choice of foods.
Overall a nice break but I won't be going again as I felt let down by the lack of attention to detail with regards to our booking requirements.

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Imogen C
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Many thanks Imogen C for your review. Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the lack of attention to detail with regards to your reservation requirements. I have discussed this issue, at length, with my Head Housekeeper, who in turn will review the morning brief to ensure that these details are recorded and actioned accordingly. I do hope that you will reconsider your thoughts and afford us the opportunity to extend you a warm welcome back I the future.
orpington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

Stayed one night this week and the immediate impressions were very good. Scenic surroundings and an old stylish building. My room was quite small but sufficient for me. The room was clean with hot & cold running water. We eat in the restuarant and the food was fantastic, hot fresh & tasty. Breakfast followed suit and all was great. Only reservation was the bed was lumpy and uncomfortable which meant not a great nights sleep.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank steveorpington
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Many thanks steveorpington for your review. I was delighted to note that in general, you enjoyed your stay, and thank you for your kind comments about the Restaurant. I was concerned to read your feedback regarding the uncomfortable bed. Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies and be assured that I have passed this on to my Head Housekeeper for review, who in turn will purchase a new bed. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to offer you a warm welcome back in the near future.
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed for 5 nights attending meetings that were held in the hotel. The staff were friendly, the food was decent (although a bit repetitive) and the hotel was clean. My room was a standard one but everything worked and it was a good size with modern fittings. The meeting rooms were good with lots of extras. My only complaint was the lack of seating area in the bar/lounge but my group were rather large so took over the hotel!

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet due to the location
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Many thanks Rural-traveller for your review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your five day stay with us and that your Meeting went well. I will raise your comment regarding the repetitive menu with my Head Chef for review as this is not acceptable, please accept my sincere apologies. I do hope that you will consider Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa for any future meetings as we would be pleased to offer you a very warm welcome back.
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed at the hotel the night after our wedding. We booked the hotel for a romantic and peaceful stay with what we hoped was a touch of luxury.

When my new husband and I arrived at the hotel there was another large wedding on. That wasn't really a problem but there was also a power cut so the staff where a bit stressed as they could not check anyone in. When we spoke to the person at reception we were just told to 'wait in the lounge' until the power came back on. No offer of a drink or refreshment for the unforeseen power cut. We had mentioned that this was part of our honeymoon and we had been married less than 24 hours before but the member of staff was very dismissive

After an hour or so the power was back on and my husband was eventually able to check us in. The staff again were very stressed and quite abrupt with us, we had to carry our own luggage up to the room (not usually something I would have a problem with but isn't this a 4 start hotel?) and when we got to the room it was right above the reception/200 wedding guests. The room itself was, in my opinion average, not a suite which is what we had booked, with no view and a rather small bed. Also, even though we were newlweds there was nothing in the room to welcome or congratulate us as I would expect and friends who have strayed in similar hotels have received.

We asked to change rooms and ended up in a much smaller but comfortable room at the back of the hotel so we could have some peace. The member of staff who carried our bags to the room was most helpful and courteous. He did his very best to accommodate us.

We then decided to visit the spa to try and regain some of our lost Newleywedded bliss; again there was no acknowledgement of our recent nuptials and the experience was the same in the resturant (I feel it would have been a simple gesture to pop a note saying 'just married' next to our names)

Overall we were bitterly disappointed with the hotel. It was a major let down after a fabulous wedding in a much smaller,3 star hotel. We came to this hotel to experience a bit of luxury to celebrate our wedding and frankly we should have saved our money and stayed in a travel lodge!

A few days after our stay we did receive an email from the hotel to rate our stay. We did so and are still awaiting a reply......

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you TravelLoveBug75 for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments, as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this very important occasion. If you would like to contact me at the Hotel directly, I would be more than happy to discuss your comments further and resolve the outstanding issues for you and indeed extend you a warm welcome back to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel.
Lincolnshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

Hubby and I decided to treat ourselves to a "posh" weekend away. When we booked we had the choice of a room or a suite, so we pushed the boat out and booked the suite. The hotel is lovely, the staff very efficient and helpful. The food was very nice apart from my first meal being cold and having to be sent back, although we did have to wait quite a longtime time between the starter and the main course. The gym (so I am informed!) was very good and the pool was clean and the water warm. The big disappointment was the room. I cannot call it a suite as it was just one ensuite room with a sofa. When I pointed this out to the reception manager, I was informed that it was a suite and not only that, but it was their best one. I have to say that the bed is the most uncomfortable thing I have ever tried to sleep on and even my other half, who can sleep on. Clothes line, struggled. The sofa was stained and the carpet stained near the mini bar. The bathroom was a good size with a Huge shower, but the toilet had been squeezed in between a wall and the sink so you needed to be a contortionist to reach the toilet paper! There were two weddings whilst we were there and it seemed a very nice venue. Unfortunately we were at the front of the hotel and were treated to one of the guests having a domestic at one o'clock in the morning!

Overall it was a nice weekend in lovely surroundings but I wish we hadn't wasted money upgrading.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Many thanks sde23sde for your review. Whilst I was pleased to read that overall, you enjoyed your weekend, I was concerned to read your comments, please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointment. Regarding the suite, particularly the bed, please be assured that my Head Housekeeper will review the bed and replace it if necessary. I have also passed your comments onto my Restaurant Manager regarding the slow service. Again, this will be reviewed and action taken accordingly, again my apologies. I do hope that you will afford us the opportunity to offer you a warm welcome back in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camberley
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,443 reviews
Great Fosters
Great Fosters
#1 of 5 in Egham

Been to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!