“Nice hotel, helpful staff.”

Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Camberley
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Nice hotel, helpful staff.”
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on Saturday while attending a friends party. After some initial confusion at check in over breakfast (I had prepaid for it, they thought we had room only) which was quickly and smoothly dealt with, we went to our room (80 - probably as far from reception as you can get!) and were very pleased. Clean, tasteful and comfortable, with a good size bathroom and powerful shower. We found the staff very pleasant and were sorry we didn't have time to take advantage of the nice looking spa facilities in the annex just across from our room. That would have been an annoyingly long walk - perhaps a back door operated by room key might be an idea here? There was a wedding going on at the same time but apart from having to wait as the bride came down the staircase it didnt impact on our stay. It was a little strange that as she came down to get married there were people checking in and out!! i hope we didnt spoil any of her photos. My only gripe would be that the £17.50 was a little in the mean side - one sausage, one rasher of bacon, one egg, one mushroom and half a tomato - but at least there was plenty of fruit/cereal/pastries etc. if you needed to fill up!!! Overall, a nice stay and good value. Would recommend.

• Stayed May 2013
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Many thanks Sallster for your review. I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind comments. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Macdonald Frimley Hall in the very near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Polish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I had very good service from the staff, particularly Adam in the bar and the breakfast team. Good, clean room, efficient reception, good bar food and excellent breakfast. I would concur with the comment on the lack of wi-if in the rooms which seems a bit odd, but that's my only quibble.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Many thanks KSBNewcastle for your review. I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind comments. In terms of the WiFi, I am delighted to say that this is being addressed, so that we will have this facility, both in public areas and bedrooms, very soon.
I do hope that we will have the opportunity to offer you a very warm welcome back in the future.
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2013

To the manager,

Well, personally I had a blast at this hotel but I am sure this was only because I was with some awesome people. The front of the hotel is great looking but as you drive to the side it looks tired and grotty. Not a huge deal but painting the outside of the hotel is an easy win. The interior of the hotel and it's public rooms is lovely and impressive. There was a huge wedding going on at the time so very busy which added a good buzz to the place. But then we were received by some very sedate, almost medicated reception staff who looked and sounded like they had been on shift since last year and told us very basic information - we did have to ask what direction our rooms were in... Again, an easy win here would have been to just tell us. We're quite easy to please. Went to the room, decorated beautifully, bathroom was very nice and beds comfortable. No moans here.
The bar, housekeeping and restaurant staff were seriously excellent, everyone working very hard and smiley. Which was nice. But seriously, I couldn't believe how few staff there were to man the restaurant? Food was lovely but I asked for some bread with my starter and had to ask three separate people who promised it was just on the way. I waited 15 minutes and was not happy about this. But, I don't feel that this was your restaurant staff's problem at all. They were physically jogging to get everything done, not enough staff to serve everyone comfortably. And again, all the staff were very friendly and accommodating. We ending up getting slowly trashed in the Lounge and went to bed around 1am. Great evening!
Next morning at breakfast was bizarre. We arrived at the dining room and it was packed with everyone in the hotel seemingly wanting to eat at the same time. We were a party of 6 and the waitress looked like she wanted the ground to open up and swallow her. Then, because she seemed like the sort of lady that could think as well as serve, she suggested that we all take breakfast in the lounge? They pushed two coffee tables together and set us up with a full breakfast service, very impressive, everyone again very friendly, despite having to run from pillar to post to try and keep everyone happy. Stacey, the young lady that took our order was professional, pleasant and chatty, despite having a million and one things to do. Breakfast was lovely, tasty and plentiful. We then checked out.
The Spa - nice pool, nice changing rooms, nice steam room etc, no hot tub or Jacuzzi which I wanted. I also arrived and wanted to book a reflexology appointment but was told that they didn't have anyone qualified to do this, currently working there. Annoying but whatever, I'll live. I wouldn't visit this place just because they had a 'spa'. It didn't rock my world... and this is a boy that likes a spa...
In conclusion, this place has so much to offer and could be potentially a great hotel. It needs tidying up and they need more staff - and a bigger dining room, or sittings. That dining room was the size of my living room and could probably seat 60 people comfortably. I would guess, due to the long corridors and room numbers that the hotel sleeps about 180. 180 people trying to eat at the same time in a small room. Not going to happen. We were very fortunate to get seated in the lounge for breakfast but that soon filled up and there were many, many people waiting to eat. Not acceptable by a long shot. Drinks were very expensive, even a herbal tea (not that I would be caught drinking the stuff) was £4.55 – which is cool if the hotel is totally fabulous but it isn't that great. My cool-as-nails dad picked up the entire tab for all of us so I didn't feel the pinch but again, if you are charging those sorts of prices, your service needs to be immaculate. Again, your staff didn't let you down here, you not hiring enough of them is what let you down...
I would choose not to visit again but thank your staff for all their hard work in doing what they could.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank James G
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you James G for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments, as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this occasion.
Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Went here as party of 4 adults for weekend break and was very impressed. Rooms were very clean and well presented, staff helpful even though it was busy.

Breakfast was excellent - service and food.

The gym was excellent - excellent standard of kit and in very good condition. Pool also good along with steam/sauna.

Note we went when the facilities were not hugely busy - none of the above is massive so I imagine on busier weekends it may get a bit crowded - but no complaints during our stay.

Not lots to do for kids, but then we didn't chose it for a child-friendly weekend.

Would happily recommend and re-visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Many thanks Alex H for your review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind comments. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to offer you a warm welcome back in the near future.
Lancs, UK
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed at this hotel overnight for a wedding, with my partner and my mum. The hotel was beautiful and the reception staff very friendly. The rooms were very comfortable and clean, the grounds stunning and well maintained and plenty of parking.

Unfortunately the bar staff did not adhere to the same high standards, and we had several issues. The first one being the absurdly expensive drinks - not the bar staffs fault of course, but £27 for 2 wine spritzers and a pint of lager was nothing short of daylight robbery.We would have spent a lot more at the bar during our stay but because of the rip off prices we decided not to bother and stuck mostly to soft drinks. We had anticipated the alcoholic drinks would not be cheap, but I've bought rounds of nicer drinks in high end central London bars for less money!

Another issue was the attitude of the bar staff. On trying to purchase a lemonade, the barman informed us they had run out. Five minutes later another bar man was serving another customer with shandies made with lemonade.

On enquiring about the cost of a bottle of house wine, we were told it was 'about £26 or £27'. When we returned to our room, we saw that we could order a bottle of house wine to our room for just over £20. Whether this was the bar man not knowing (and not even bothering to check) the prices, or another example of them ripping people off I don't know.

As the bar allocated to the wedding party was very busy we attempted to buy drinks at the other public hotel bar, but were told that as part of the wedding party we could not use that bar. I told the bar staff that we were in fact hotel guests and were staying overnight at the hotel but we were told we had to return to the one allocated to the wedding. As a paying guest at the hotel I would expect to be able to buy drinks at any of the hotels bars and found the condescending manner of several of the bar staff dissapointing.

Its a real shame that the poor service by some of the staff has spoiled what could be a fantastic hotel. There are many good things about this hotel but I would not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Many thanks rforsyth 1984 for your review. I was concerned to read your comments with regards to the Bar Service as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the customer care and quality normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies. Please be assured that your comments have been passed to my Operations Manager for immediate review and action. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Lincolnshire, UK
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed here for a one night business trip. It looks fantastic and is set nicely in its ground. However inside it seems a bit dated, the older and newer bits are not seamlessly done either.

Wifi is free in reception, but paid for in the rooms! Why?

I used the gym and spa. The gym has good machines, but is very small. The pool/spa was very good.

If you need to stay in Frimley, this is probably your best option, but if you don't need to stay in Frimley, then I wouldn't come especially for this, unless you get a great price.

Food in the restraint was good, but the service was bad, not terrible, but the wait staff didn't even no which dishes were which when they bought them out (confused lamb, pork and duck!). Also you'd have 3 people asking if you ad ordered yet.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Many thanks Dtaylo2 for your review. In terms of WiFi, I am delighted to say that this is being reviewed and will be available throughout the Hotel, on a free basis, very soon. Please accept my apologies that the service during dinner did not meet your expectations. Be assured that I have passed your comments on to my Restaurant Manager for immediate review and action. I do hope that you will afford us the opportunity to offer you a very warm welcome back to Frimley Hall in the near future.
Reviewed April 23, 2013

For the building, location, facilities and price I was expecting a wow factor and received none. The building and grounds are beautiful, impressive and quiet. The rooms were well equipped but dated in decor and furnishings. The service was mediocre at best. The food was nice but not worth the excessive wait. I would find an alternative place to stay next time.

• Stayed April 2013
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you C4thb for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments, as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this occasion. If you would like to contact me at the Hotel directly, I would be more than happy to discuss your comments further and resolve the outstanding issues for you and indeed extend you a warm welcome back to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camberley
Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa
Savill Court Hotel & Spa
Great Fosters
Great Fosters
#1 of 5 in Egham

Been to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!