“Poor spa treatment for the price”

Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Camberley
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Poor spa treatment for the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

The spa facilities are mediocre with limited beds at the pool. The relaxation room is very nice and makes up for the lack of space at the pool. There is an extensive list of possible treatments. I had a luxury pedicure which after less than 2 weeks is chipping already which is not usual for me. My toenails were trimmed to different sizes so it was uneven from the start, no buffing and poor attention on both cuticles and dry skin. Very disappointing given the luxury price tag, can get much better for almost half the price. Will not return to this spa.

• Stayed April 2013
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you MothtoaFlame for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments, as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with the Spa at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this occasion.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Polish first
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Pros: the bed was extremely comfortable, the overall place and grounds were very pretty. Though it was tucked away amongst a residential area, it was easy to find and convenient to key roads in the Frimley area.
Cons: the Spa; my wife went there for a pedicure and facial but when she arrived, they had no robes for her or even flip-flops for her feet after the pedicure. She was forced to wait around hoping her tonsil polish would dry before the rainy walk over to the hotel. Of course they didn't quite dry and her polish was smeared when she got back to the hotel, no explanation was provided as to why no robes or shoes.
Also, we stayed on the newer side of the hotel and as I mentioned yes the bed was very comfortable,must the newer rooms were very small. We did not have breakfast either since it was very overpriced.

Room Tip: Rooms in new side of hotel very small, ask to see both side if possible before committing.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hamrow
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you hamrow for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments, as the issues raised regarding the Spa are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this occasion.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

I visited Frimley Hall for a Spa Day via Spabreaks (good value) in April 2013. The deal was £70 for a 30 minute Decleor facial + 30 minute Decleor back, shoulder, arm massage; use of spa facilities; and a bento box lunch.I extended massage to 1 hour by paying extra £25.
The booking process was simple and my enquiries to the spa were dealt with promptly and efficiently. Staff were friendly and helpful. Changing rooms were clean & well maintained.
The pool is a decent size (1.2m deep) with about 8 loungers around edge. No hot tub, but a sauna & steam room. Robes/towels provided & big lockers. There is a darkened relaxation room with comfy chairs/stools for feet, blankets & complimentary herbal tea/water + magazines. The quality of the treatments was excellent and both therapists were very good/competent. I was so 'chilled' after my massage that I had to lie down in relaxation room for a further 40 minutes before I could be bothered to do anything else! It was slightly inconvenient having to pop across to main hotel building for lunch in cold/damp weather - although able to wear gown & slippers ( I imagine that in summer it is possible to sit out in grounds for lunch). Bento box lunch was nicer than expected: choice of chicken caesar or tuna/cucumber (+ vegetarian choice) wraps (good size); plus a small salad; crudites & houmous; fruit salad; small chocolate pudding & soft drink. I go for a spa days regularly & can recommend this venue. There was also a gym - but didn't use this.

Room Tip: Did not stay overnight.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Many thanks LondonJmj for your review. As you have experienced, we are very passionate and committed to delivering the highest standards of service and quality in our Spa, which is shown by the number of guests that are coming back for a return visit, time and time again. We look forward to extending you a warm welcome back in the near future.
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

A great value trip via Secret Escapes. Ate in restaurant the first night. Worthy of 2 AA Rosettes. Sadly standards did not continue at breakfast, where cooked breakfast was lukewarm and toast positively cold. Despite reminding breakfast waiter that previous cooked food was lukewarm it still arrived tepid. A huge contrast to the excellent dinner served in the same restaurant.
Plus points: staff all helpful; room decor fine; bed v comfy; heating worked (unlike next hotel Cobham Hilton); some lovely Victorian architectural detail.
Spa treatment was ok. Pool long enough for laps.
Worth visiting if you can get a good rate.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Many thanks Content-Rich for your review. I was delighted to note that in general you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for the feedback regarding breakfast. I will pass this on to my Head Chef for immediate review. Please accept my sincere apologies on this occasion. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to offer you a warm welcome back in the near future.
milton keynes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

over night spa day with my girlfriend. spa facilities are weak to be honest just a pool , sauna and steam room no jacuzzi. we got a massage witch was ok service was friendly ... dinner was not to my taste but it was well presented .... the room was average

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bigworld121
Many thanks bigworld121 for your review. I was a little concerned to read of your expectation for a jacuzzi within our Spa. We do not state in any of our collateral that we offer this facility so my apologiies for the disappointment on this occasion. I was also sorry to note that you did not enjoy our 2 AA Rosette standard cuisine. Again, we also offer an extensive Bar Menu which you may have found more attractive and appealing to your requirements. I do hope that these shortcomings do not deter you from visiting us again in the future.
Hitchin, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

My partner and I booked a night away for our birthdays and to have a break from the children. We were really looking forward to it. Upon our arrival we were met with a friendly receptionist who booked us in gave us our room key. We were given room 201.....

As we opened the door I felt like I had been transported back in time as the room was very dated and in need of some serious updating. I like period features but as we had paid £250 for one night I was extremely disappointed. Our promised garden view turned out to be a view of the air conditioning vents and a few walls. We went back to reception and asked if we could change rooms and the receptionist was very accommodating. We were then given a room 303.........

Now this room was more like it! A lovely split level room with separate lounge and bedroom. It also had a very big bathroom with underfloor heating. However the room was seriously cold......and had no radiators and single glazed windows. However there were two small electric radiators which I assume was to heat the whole room. We did then notice the climate control switches on the wall, ah fair enough I thought they should work. Oh they don't......never mind the room was very nice so once again we went downstairs and asked if we were not understanding how to turn them on. We were told by the same very friendly receptionist that we just needed to press the on button. Funny but I didn't think of that.........

While we were waiting for the heating to 'kick in' we sat in the lounge bar and had a drink. Again the staff were very friendly and the afternoon tea was very nice. Upon getting back to the room about 45 minutes later the room was still seriously cold and the heating not working. I'm now thinking that its starting to get pretty ridiculous especially for £250 per night.

A third trip to reception and the same very friendly receptionist then gave us the room to 301. This room was a standard size, nice bed, nice view, nice bathroom and the heating worked. We settled for this one as it had taken nearly 3 hours since arriving to un pack our bags. I headed for the gym and pool, which I must say was quite nice while the other half had a bath and relaxed.

The bed was very comfortable and the breakfast was good too.

Overall I was disappointed with my stay but cannot fault the staff as they were very accommodating. I don't think I would be recommending the hotel to family and friends.

Room Tip: If its the summer then definitely room 303. Try to avoid room 201.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Matt B
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Many thanks Matt B for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments, as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this occasion. Claerly we will investigate the heating issue and resolve this. I was pleased to note your positive comments regarding the staff, thank you. I do hope that you will afford us the opportunity to reinstate your faith in us and offer you a warm welcome back to Frimley Hall.

Travelers are raving about these Camberley hotels

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

I was expecting a luxury spa experience after reading the reviews. The spa itself is nothing more than an overpriced gym.
The treatments were extremely poor, rushed and the girls seemed to lack any knowledge of what they were doing. My massage felt more like I was being moisturised continuously in the same part of my back with the therapist standing on one side of the bed the entire time. She made no attempt at any massage techniques at all! Shocking! My facial was rough and sore. The therapist literally rubbed at my skin to remove the mask but didn't wash her hands after which then felt like I was being moisturised by sandpaper. There was no consultation after the treatments or a discussion beforehand to describe what she would be doing or the products used.
The relaxation room is nice but other guests use it as a room to have a drink and chat very loudly, not relaxing at all.
The worst part of the spa had to be the changing rooms...absolutely minute in comparison to other spas I've been to and not one cubicle to change in. It feels very cramped and with several ladies in at once you're almost touching bodies when changing.
The pool area is frankly quite dangerous with the amount of water on the floor. The loungers are too big for the area so be careful you don't fall in the pool when choosing a bed to lie on.
Lunch came in bento box which was interesting but the chicken wrap had more wrap than chicken. Dry and flavourless.
There's a charge if you want a robe and slippers which really should come as standard like most other spas.
Really really disappointed and would never go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mrspudding
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you mrspudding for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments, as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this occasion.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camberley
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa
Great Fosters
Great Fosters
#1 of 5 in Egham
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,004 reviews

Been to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!